Can connect to google but nothing else

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Banpen Fugyo, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

There are 5 people in my house.

We all have separate static IPs ranging from xxx.xxx.xxx.10-15

Everyones wireless works except one. She can connect to google, and even search, but when she tries to open anything other than google.com it wont connect.

We've pinged google (it works)
    We've pinged other sites (they work)
    We've tracerouted and changed the IP to detect automatically and we've even switched the last digits of her IP from 13 to 12 (mine is 12 and works fine) and hers still wont connect.

Sometimes when pinging google and other sites though, her packeloss varies like crazy. Sometimes she'll send 4 packets and receive 4 packets, other times she'll send 4 and receive 2, other 4:0, etc.

How can she connect to google, view results of a search, but not be able to view any other sites??? it makes no sense.

She is using internet explorer and Windows Vista (probably the culprit)

2. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

Maybe the firewall?

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

firewall would stop all outgoing.

Port sniffer mate incase something else trying to use port 80?

Tried hard wiring her machine into the router?

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Are all the other computors running vista?

Cos when I got upgraded to Vista I had a similar problem. Had to download an upgrade for my wireless router for vista, which solved the problem.

I hate vista.:bang:

5. Banpen Fugyo

Im not sure if ALL machines are running vista, but I know that mine isnt and another roomates isnt.

Her laptop has worked for the past 6 months, but we recently had someone move out (who had a desktop) and he was the "host" cpu I suppose for the house.

All of the settings are the same as they have always been (firewall/network settings) as far as I know.

The only main difference is that there aren't any computers connected to the router now, everyone is running wireless and has their own static IP.

If anyone is super smart I can paste her IPCONFIG information, as well as my own and maybe a TRACERT or PING or something.

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Dont post it, static ip could be security risk mate. pm me it and I'll have a look.

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Can I ask why you're using static IPs? I mean if you're connected to a router using DHCP should work just fine. What kind of router is it? Who is the service provider? Is it cable/DSL or ADSL (via BT land line) or something else?

And you said everybody else has a working connection right?

8. Banpen Fugyo

We were having IP addy conflicts when everyone was set to automatic so we had to make it so we all had diff IPs.

The router is a NetGear from Comcast cable

When my roomate is back I'll get some more info and such

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well since the router is set up already it shouldn't make any difference the desktop is gone. The router can run on it's own. Think of it this way. I bet wireless still worked when the desktop was powered down.

So like Carys asked. Is the wonky 'puter running Vista?

Anyway it seems this is a rather common problem. Strangely Google is always involved and a wireless network is always involved? Conspiracy perhaps? Yahoo answers suggests removing Google Toolbar. Of course they might just be bitter. Most other folks suggest switching the browser to "off-line" mode and then switching it back again. Some people suggested flushing the DNS cache ... or something.

Oh the Vista thing? Doesn't matter. This happens with Linux and Mac OS X as well. And it's always Google and a wireless network?

If all else fails take the laptop through the wireless network setup wizard again. Failing that. Kill the laptop and snog the girl to take her mind off the pain of losing the interweb. If she's ugly you can get drunk first.