Can anyone suggest what I can do to help?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Orangeseger, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Orangeseger

Orangeseger YouTube =/= Training

My friend has been feeling out of it, and she recently was complaining about a severe sore throat and ear pain. I pretty much forced her to the local doctor, they did a test and it turns out she has mono. Now, I'm sort of familiar with the virus, but not so sure on what I can do to help her out. She's an extremely active person, and she is very into TKD. She takes her training very seriously. She's the kind of person who basically can't sit still. I know that when you get mono you have to avoid contact sports because of the chance of you injuring your spleen or something like that.

Any idea on how I can help? SO far she is miserable and she keeps straining herself because she isn't used to resting. She want's to keep up her training in whatever way she can. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

2. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

A friend of mine started learning circus tricks like juggling and staff tricks when he had to take it easy for a while, it keept him from getting to board.
    On the other hand, you could always introduce your friend to MAP.

3. Orangeseger

MAP....I want her to get better, not lose her soul...

I guess I could suggest to her to learn something new, some magic trick, maybe start learning a few phrases in a new language. I already promissed her I'd invite her for movie nights, so at least she can stay entertained. The important thing from what I hear to get as much rest as possible early on when symptoms hit.

4. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

I know what you mean... :yeleyes:

I've been on here way too long...

5. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

Rest is the main thing. It sucks. I lost a semester of college/uni cos of it. And remember it's very contagious, so no snogging, sharing towels/face cloths/toothbrushes/food utensils/drinking straws etc.

She has to rest for her long term benefit. Can you explain in terms of that? A short term break for a long term gain. My brother has spleen and liver damage cos of it :(

She can still work out, like stretching and conditioning, yeah? Just not too mental, and no sparring...

6. Orangeseger

I'm just reciting what she said to me. The doc said that the getting as much rest as possible as early as possible is crucial. I also have to make sure she stays away from alcohol while she has this.

7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Have a look:

Mono

Having had Mono when I was young, rest is the key. It is an absolute killer on the immune system. Hence why fatigue is a major symptom. And, once you have it, relapse is common shortly after the person starts to feel better. They try to "push" it. Have your friend follow medical advice and rest.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Whatever you do don't make out with her. :D

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

If she stays depressed, and shows the symptoms of depression, then she should see a doctor. Nobody should have to suffer in silence. Other than that, maybe she just needs time to adjust. Give her as much space as she needs/wants, but try your best to be there for her. Let her suggest projects to build up her self esteem rather than suggesting them yourself. Oh, and god bless you, not that I'm religious.

10. Brian S

Brian S Valued Member

The more she rests and takes it easy the sooner she will be better. The more she strains and tries to continue her training the longer it will take. Not to mention that mononucleosis is highly contagious!!

She doesn't need to be thinnking about TKD right now, it will be there when she gets back. Rest,rest,rest!!

11. Knight_Errant

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm such a **** and didn't realise that you'd already taken her to see a doctor. Should have actually read the OP. Still, if she's severely 'down', I don't know about this, but she might want to consider cognitive behavioural therapy?

12. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

KE, what are you on about? The OP states the girl is down because she has mono and not able to train as she would like. I didn't get the impression that the girl was suffering from depression. I'sa confus-ed? :confused:

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What? Are you her daddy? Her boyfriend? Let her lay up. People get sick from time to time. You dont have to put on a circus act for the girl just because she has mono. Go hang out with her if she wants some company.

14. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Primarily she needs three things...

Rest,
    Rest,
    Rest,

As she starts to recover she will get bored and frustrated at her lack of strength. It would be at this point that you could be a true friend.

15. Orangeseger

:eek:

16. Orangeseger

No, I'm just a close friend who knows that she is extremely stubborn and likes to push the envelope. I don't want to see her doing harm to herslef because she refuses to admit she needs rest.

I'm not putting on a circus act, it's called being there for someone.

17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

:D

Seriously, if she pushes the envelope too far, let her push it. Everyone has to learn. I had to learn the hard way when I was younger by getting injured and not going to the doctor and working out with the injury, getting sick and doing things to aggravate it, drinking too much, etc . . . .

There's only one way to learn about that kind of thing, and that's THE HARD WAY, so if you really want to be there for her, step out of the way and let her take her knocks and learn her lessons.

Other than that, go hang out with her as you normally would.

18. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

When she starts feeling better and has more strength she should learn Tai Chi Qi Gong 18 movements. This should help the state of mind ,energy levels, balance, blood flow, the way you breath massarge,s your stomarch so its calming too.

19. Knight_Errant

Nothing very much- I'd forgotten to take my meds that day and I wasn't making very much sense. I should probably have deleted it, but, welll... and now somebody's responded to it...

20. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Sensible attitude I think. I had to be nearly forced off the mat when I was injured, after I got worse.
    Maybe, if she loves TKD that much, there's something related she can do to keep busy. Depends on how high she is, maybe she could come to class and help lower grades or something. It's a poor second best, but it helped me stay sane.
    Other than that, the staff tricks is a great idea, I started to learn a while back. It's very cool when you add the fire... :D