can anyone help me find a school or teacher?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by shax, Apr 13, 2006.

1. shax

shax Valued Member

salaam

i live in place called bradford, west yorkshire in the UK.

i am looking for a school or teacher for silat near to me.

i have seen this one place which is a little close to me.
    here is their web site. http://www.cvbba.co.uk/pencaksilat.htm
    for some reason they dont seem very authentic to me. the silat teacher there is called bob sykes.

if anyone knows anything about bob sykes and his school or if you know any other venues for silat near to me then please let me know.

i thank you for your time and help.

peace be upon you.

2. Wali

Wali Valued Member

What is it about them that you don't find authentic?

I know Bob very well, and he's been in the martial arts since long before either of us could walk (figuratively speaking).

Go and check out a class, and only then can you make comments on a style/individual.

He's been studying silat for approximately 4 years now, and would be a good starting point for anyone wishing to learn.

I also know that there is a representative of Richard de Bordes teaching further North from Leeds, so a google search may bear some fruits.

3. shax

shax Valued Member

thanks for that.

off to do some googling

4. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Selamat,

There's, the Harimau guy's in Knaresborough which aint that far from Bradford! Get some knee supports at the ready :D A lot of low stuff and groundfighting.

I suppose it depends on what type of style you want as Silat is pretty much a blanket term with hundreds if not thousands of styles.

Oh and worth a try, Leeds Uni is one of the only ones in the UK that has an exchange program with Indonesia. I think there is an online Indonesian society there. Might be worth a post! You never know who you might find. :) http://www.geocities.com/infoppi_leeds/

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  5. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

silat teacher

hi shax

If bob is closer to you i would recomend you go there, but if you want try pauls deans knaresborough www.harimau-silat.co.uk there you will find all the info you need.

regards
    bela diri

6. shax

shax Valued Member

hi why would you recommend bob sykes place. is it better than the knaresborough guys?

7. Gajah Silat

Selamat

I don't think we have a better or worse situation here. Wali Songo & Minangkabau Harimau are very different styles. From Java & Sumatra respectively.

The Minang Harimau is more of a groundfighting style. From what I have seen of Wali Songo it has a very Javanese 'pukulan' or striking/hitting flavour to it & is similar in style to the Harimau Berantai that I study(correct me if I'm wrong Wali :) ). Personally I like the pukulan style but that's just because I'm too fat for all that groundwork ;)

However, I'm sure the guys who do those styles can fill you in.

The choice is yours

Salaam

Edit: Shax, you can check some Wali Songo clips here http://www.reelcombat.com/flash/main.htm

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  8. shax

shax Valued Member

hmmmmm

im quite generous around the waist as well........

9. Gajah Silat

:D Ha ha

Seriously though, and no disrespect intended to you Minang Harimau guys out there, I don't think it would be the best style for those with er....a larger physique ;)

Talking of the 'larger gentleman', try a google on Chris Sayoc of Sayoc Kali :D

Anyway, go for a lesson or two & I think it will become apparent how effective Silat is.

10. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

hi shax

Our style of harimau plays in the upright, semi recumbent, and floor. The ideal range for us is semi recumbent. Its not just ground fighting and if do use the ground its only for a limited time before we are back up on our feet. The hanafi/de-bordes styles uses a lot of the sumartran arts of sterlak, satria muda & is blended alot with setia hati. We use hand strikes, kicks sweeps & locks etc...

As for the size of your waist this makes no difference unless you are seriously overweight so long as you do the kuda training which is quite intense. You will get out what you put in. I have seen some big guys over hear & in the states pull off some serious harimau technique with out thought of there size.

regards
    bela diri

11. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Both styles are good, and either would be of benefit to you. The best thing is to check out the classes and do the one which suits you best. You won't go wrong with any of them.

12. Gajah Silat

Sorry guys, didn't mean to offend...just my self depreciating sense of humour ;)

Horses for courses, or should that be kuda for courses :confused:

13. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

hi shax

Wali is right you will not be dissapointed by any of the style's. Gajah i am not offended at all.

regards
    bela diri