Calorie counting in the long run

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Victoria, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

While frantically adding up every single gram of fat, carb, and protein in my tuna salad earlier, then working out how much would be in each serving, I thought - do I really want to be doing this for the rest of my life?! The thought is horrifying.

Then I thought, is there even any need?

If I was a professional athlete then at certain times I'd consider it necessary. If I had a goal that required strict fat/carb/protein/calorie counting, I might still consider it necessary during that time.

If you're just starting to take control of your diet and fitness then I think yes, it is necessary. As some of you know, it can be quite an eye opener when you first type your diet into fitday.com. But in time you'll get a good feel for food content, for what you need to eat and when. At this point, is it really necessary to continue monitoring every single calorie and where it's come from?

I think it's personal choice. I've been counting protein carbs and fat now for so long that even if I do record every single calorie, it's not far off what I've already worked out subconsciously through the day. So for the next few weeks I'm not going to record my food/drink intake, and see how I do.

What does everyone else think, is it really necessary to monitor your every calorie in the long run?

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

As you say Vic, if you're a professional athlete and weight/size matter, then absolutely. No competitive Bodybuilder could compete successfully w/out that sort of information. People that have to meet weight categories may need it as well. For those of us that are living a healthy lifestyle and training, I don't think we need to know every nano-gram that goes into our mouth.

That is why I don't weigh things in the kitchen. I use the "hand method" for portion control (if it's bigger then my hand, it gets trimmed down). I find it totally mind numbing to track things so closely. If my diet tracking becomes "work", then it will go the way of the T-Rex.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think if you eat a healthy diet you don't have to.

4. narcsarge

Simple and to the point MD!

+1

5. Victoria

I'm a bit..'insecure' with the thought of not being able to see a chart of my protein/carb/fat percentage - which is another reason to stop for a few weeks. Obsessing can't be a good sign. I do have to keep a check on PCF for medical reasons, but I should be able to keep a rough track mentally. We'll see!

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Getting off any processed food is the key. If everything you eat starts off as nature intended you get to see exactly what you're eating. Everything tastes better too.

7. narcsarge

Unless the Dr.s need precise measurements, I would use fitday as means of doing the math for me and giving a general idea of your diet. Like I said, if it becomes so tedious that it isn't fun to use, then I would ditch it in a heartbeat!

8. Victoria

Exactly.

Simple healthy eating isn't enough for me, I 'have' to count and get the right amount of calories from the right places. But it's not a nice thought that I could be using fitday forever and ever... so as I said, experienced calorie counters should have a 'feel' for what they need to consume without filling in fitday every day :)

9. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

You asking for the ways to figure out the math for how many calories you need per day?

So the base idea behind most of them is like how many calories do you need to just breath and function and how many to add weight or loss weight.

Here is my version/method it is allot used by allot of the trainers out there.

YOUR BODY WEIGHT * 10 = RESTING METABOLIC RATE(CALORIES)
    YOUR RESTING METABOLIC RATE * 20% = DAILY ACTIVITY
    YOUR RESTING METABOLIC RATE + DAILY ACTIVITY + 500 = ENERGY AMOUNT(total of calories need a day)

example:
    260lbs * 10 = 2600
    2600 * 20% = 520
    2600 + 520 + 600 = 3720

Then once I have that the energy amount, I look at how much protein I need for my weight which is 1.4 g per 3 lbs of body weight, so I figure it lower than most. I than decide what I like to eat over a couple weeks. Than I pre-prepare what I like for several weeks ahead. I have 5 to 7 meals when cutting weight. When I want to build muscle I have 8 meals a day adding slightly more protein. For when I have those hunger pains I always keep almonds or walnuts around eat only about a five or six at any one hunger need. I use to eat when ever I wanted to at work even when they would say I will get in trouble. I always figured it was my bodies need and that decides the way the job is done.

To find info on calories in food I use to have a book, now I just type it into like google.

OR
    Do you mean it just is kinda sad and pathetic. I agree but if you don't want to feel bad or sad or negative. You stay healthy. If you just have a negative attitude you could take vitamin C intravenously. It helps your out look and helps keep cancer at bay they say.

It does different things than when you take it orally, vitamin C.

10. Victoria

...No :D

I know all the bumph when it comes to working stuff out. I just meant is it really all necessary in the long run, would you want to be doing it for the rest of your life?

11. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I think the 'just eat a healthy diet' is a dangerous answer to give. A lot of people will happily add a few pieces of fruit, some low fat foods and a sugary probiotic yogurt to their diet and decide for themselves it's a healthy diet. Even when they cut it down to natural foods people often end up adding a lot of nitrites to their diet.

The key with calorie counting is that when it really comes down to it, most of us don't actually have that much variety in our diets. Once you have a rough idea of what's in each meal you don't need to sit there adding in all the various components, especially with tools like fitday with an option to save custom foods. It's easy to gradually slip out of a controlled diet adding extras in all over the place, once your basics are in place it becomes easy to track your diet for a long time.

Besides, the fitday graphs look very satisfying when you can look back 6 months!

12. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hey V :)

Its just another 'habit' to count calories and your interest in your health means that you may have some anxiety about ensuring you're getting the right number of cals daily. You just need to trust in yourself (you've got a good head on those shoulders), know what you need and take a break from counting for a week. You will do it mentally which is fine but no written or e-records of it. It'll feel strange but you'll make the transition.

I find sometimes I lose the ability to 'judge' what my intake should be so I'll remind myself of how to take control by reading labels, writing down some goals/estimates. These are just learned behaviours that we are trying to turn into intrinsic behaviours, sometimes you need a refresher course in the form of Calorie Counters etc. but no need to depend on them daily in the long run. Good luck chicky! :)

13. Victoria

There's my point :D

14. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

That use to be my weight now a little lighter. From eating correctly, which help my knee that was reversed once.

I need to get to 200lbs.. Which means my workout needs to be more intense.

It has become second nature over these last few years, seems like when I was younger I never had this issue.

15. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I only measure the unhealthy things. I measure carbohydrate dense foods like potatos and pasta. And peanut butter because of the amount of omega 6's. But I dont measure vegtables or meat and fish.

I think it would be difficult to get fat if someone only ate meat, fish and vegtables.