Call me noob

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Kuma, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

As of last night, ole Kuma is now a Judo student. It's been a long time coming and a wish of mine for quite some time. I was getting a bit burnt out with Kyokushin admittedly and needed something new. I managed to stumble upon a local Judo place that has everything I want and more, and it's actually affordable. I'll still continue my Kyokushin training but at a reduced rate for now, as Judo will be my main focus now. The main appeal of this place is it offers classes 6 times per week (and some twice per day) so I can easily get in 3+ even with a hectic schedule.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Enjoy! Man you're going to be sore for a while :D

MItch

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Nice one! Judo is ace. First martial art I did...I wish I'd stuck with it. I'd like to go back but the classes clash with my FMAs :(

How many Kyokushin classes are you doing now? Just curious.

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

*dons reporter hat*

So Mr. Kuma, with your recent fall from your illustrious position in Kyokushin and your recen fall to the bottom ranks of Judo, How does it feel starting allow again?

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

You ain't kidding Mitch. Even though I was told my ukemi was pretty good for a white belt, I still took some good thuds and Motrin only does so much. Age + grappling = sore cranky oldster.

I'll probably stick to once a week (longest class of the week, lots of training then sparring at the end) and keep my individual training. Usually it's working the bags and the like at home, but I occasionally get together with a few buddies and work the pads and do some sparring.

I wouldn't call my old position illustrious by any means. Admittedly I'm pretty excited. I've been wanting to train in Judo for a long time now, and finally have the chance. It came along at the right time too.

6. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

You're a noob!

:D
    Glad to hear you are having a good time.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

judo's the best!

8. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Judo (or JJ, or BJJ) is also a good complement to Kyokushin.

In my tai jitsu class there is a kyokushiner. He did not stop kyokushin.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Kuma = kyokushin + judo + heavy lifting experience = Destroyer of Worlds.

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

About time you came to the dark side....:)

11. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

You know that when you start a new skill set your body will tell you gently (NOT) that something new is happening!!! When I started judo as a test of my ability to take a slam for a return to rugby I hurt 24/7 for a year.... now I haven't had much time for judo but have been back to rugby into my 5th year and the pain hardly bites me in the rear any more than it did when I was 20... suck it up soldier and you will soon find things get calmer. Love the saying... pain is inevitable , suffering is optional... definitely applies to judo :' )

Enjoy!!

LFD

12. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Prepare to be bruised :p, I love the weird frowns people give me when they ask where I got all my bruises from and I reply with: "Oh just had an easy Judo session y'day, you should've seen me last week!"

13. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

Congrats. Judo is a lot of fun. Don't worry you will get used to being slammed on the mat.

14. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

And he might even adapt to being thrown into it too ;)

15. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

have you considered keeping a Training Log?

16. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Hey we can both be kyokshin/judo destroyers of the world, with you being senior to me!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Question - is a rash guard worth getting to wear under the gi top or is a T-shirt all right? I only ask because I've been going bare chested and my wife does not like all the strange abrasions from getting the gi top yanked around.

Funny story as well. They teach another system at the school and as they were finishing up the main instructor had us roll with them a bit. He likes to incorporate striking with the Judo class and Judo with the other class. We were going to fight from the knees so he teamed me up with a "black belt", as he said it. I pinned the guy a few times (all kesa gatame 'cause I don't know anything else) before he told me though he was an instructor in the other system he was only a yellow belt in Judo. And here I was thinking I was some kinda Judo prodigy... (Not serious.)

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Rash guards are really comfortable in a gi. It's a much more pleasant experience in my opinion.

19. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I never wore a rash guard or t-shirt under my gi and I don't think I'd want to. I find a gi plenty comfy and never had any issues with abrasion. I always found all of the roughness to be worn out after the first week or so of wearing a new one. Just think, for decades ahead of you little Asian men have been wearing them fine.

If you absolutely need to wear something under the gi I'd say it's likely a tshirt won't stop the abrasions, especially when you get sweating and the tshirt is wet. Go with a rash guard.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think Mrs Kuma doesn't want all the Judo hotties getting a glimpse of the buff bare/bear chest on Mr Kuma. :)