Californian Silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Silatyogi, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

"This is of course different in Californian Silat, where you have a Pendekar higher than the several Guru and Guru Besar (I am refering to Pukulan Cimande Pusaka, here). All these titles are indeed used in Indonesia (no one ever suggested otherwise, Silatliam - you should read posts more carefully) just not in the way Pukulan Cimande Pusaka uses them. "

Unfortunately this thread was closed when I read it. But I wanted to share my own 2 cents : )

I have noticed it a few times where the comments towards “westerners” ability to understand silat have been in question.

I think its time people accept that Westerners are very capable of learning, applying, and teaching Pencak Silat.

Kiai i think your comments about western silat players would be very different if you where in the same room with some of the "California Gurus" or American Gurus

Pendekar Sanders is very complete in his method of teaching and he seems to have a solid organization.

You should also consider paying a visit to other "Californian" Silat players such as Pendekar Paul De Thouars, Guru Cliff Stewart, Guru Louis Campos, or Guru Stevan Plink in Washington. I think you would be in for a surprise to find out that They know and understand their Pencak Silat.

Also about Mustika Kweetang. Again you should try to contact Harold Koning in Ft Lauderdale. (another example of a BAD ASS guru) .

Training is training whether you do it in an organized Institution of Silat. Or you are doing it in an old man's living room or garage. It doesn't matter if you have a title or not or if your teacher's title is "Pendekar" or "Besar" or "Guru", It doesn't matter if you know the Indonesian language or not. If you are getting put on the floor and you are being challenged to grow, and tested to develop and you are putting in the "time" to season yourself in Pencak silat, the art itself will teach you.

It really goes beyond on the physical of any Guru or Pendekar. It's a personal evolution and a every day growth.

Thank god there are westerners that are learning Pencak Silat and are also in some ways pioneering it for the rest of us and for the future martial art junkies waiting to be born in this realm. Eventually it will be normal to find Silat all over the Earth.

Peace to all of you and Happy new year.

May you all develop something unique this year in your Pencak Silat that will further enhance the art for everyone else.

Santiago Dobles

2. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Eloquently put.

There does seem to have been a lot of discussion here on origins of terms etc. I don't think I ever discussed the Japanese fuedal system etc. during my karate days.

Some background knowledge and understanding of terms, are of course very useful with regard to Silat training. However, this doesn't meen we have to be experts on the Mahajapit empire etc. to 'do' Silat.

I'm sure most Pesilats in Indonesia are not expected to complete a history degree first ;)

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

When a thread is closed, it means the discussion is over, DO NOT go and open another one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.