Calgary Hapkido Clubs

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by blade_cs, Aug 22, 2003.

1. tpb

tpb New Member

A few days ago I heard that the fee structure is changing. Really, the best way to find out is to ask our instructor. His number is 371-4455. Let him know that you're a student and that cash is a little tight.

As for the differences in training, the north school was originally operated by Grand Master Park's brother, Master Park. We are slowly getting closer and closer to the South school as far as manorisms, but there are still some... other... differences.

I saw in another post that $65/month was within your reach. I think that as a student you should be able to get that price or better. Just remember that no prices are written in stone.

Before you make any decisions, you should come down and watch a class. Like I said before, let me know via email if you want a ride. Secondly, the bike trails and roads are fairly good if you decide to ride a bike down to the school. The first time you go, it can be a little hard to find the place. If you need directions or anything else, just let me know.

ttyl
    mark leonard

2. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

To be quite honest, I'm not entirely sure! I haven't been to a class since the end of June, although I plan on calling Wayne tomorrow and starting up again on Monday along with my sister.

Last time I went to class, the location was at a fitness center in the Woodbine mall approximately at the end of Anderson road in the south. It's quite possible that the location has changed in the 2 months I haven't been training there though, it's happened before.

I'll have all the relevant information for you tomorrow or monday, I guess. I would just recommend that regardless of location you make it out to at least 1 class to try :) The quality of the training and how much you enjoy the class just might make any transportation hassles completely worthwhile for you. :D

3. blade_cs

blade_cs New Member

Thanks for your information.

I went down to GM Park's Dojang (the one on Horton Road) and talked to the instructor. The techniques that the black belts were doing seemed quite effective. Everyone there were quite well-mannered.

Getting there won't be a problem because it only takes around 15 minutes via C-Train (from the University of Calgary), but I doubt I will be able to afford the tuition. I was offered $85/month (discount from the adult fee), but my cash is still tight.

Btw, does GM Park do any ground work?

4. blade_cs

blade_cs New Member

Well, I'll see if I can make it and watch/attend one class. Woodbine is located very south of the UofC :)

5. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

Perhaps that was you that I saw the other day in his office then? I'm only a mear green belt :)

To answer your question: depends what you mean by groundwork. We do 'sitting way' and various ground-based defense, but in terms of BJJ type stuff, or flat out ground fighting, not really. Myself and some of the Blackbelts, as well as a Blackstrap and a few other people have unofficially iniated a little 'grappling session' after thursdays evening class. That along with the little bit of grappling I do in Ninjutsu and what I can do in grappling seminars is enough grappling for me - at least until I can dedicate myself to a grappling art.

Honestly, you might be disapointed at the amount - or lack of amount of grappling we do, but you can always supplement it with practice, and seminars if you have the opportunity.

Hope that helps.

6. blade_cs

blade_cs New Member

Really? The fee structure is changing? I phoned the North school and the price was $70/month. Maybe that was before the fee structure changed. :confused:

The North School's distance from the U of C is pretty good, compared to the South school.

So the North School do way more grappling than the South one? Cause that's what I'm seeking (25% grappling and the rest standing techniques, is what I am looking for, actually).

7. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

I've met the instructor of the 'North' school on several occasions. IMO, he is a fantastic instructor, and just generally a very cool, nice guy. I would certainly recommend his school solely based on my limited experience meeting him.

After a testing (that I was testing at) the he was whatching once, he pulled me aside after the fact and showed me a little detail that has helped immensely ever since.

Much to my dismay (was hoping you'd come to my ninjutsu or hapkido class :p) that should help you make your decision :) Tell us how it goes :)

8. blade_cs

blade_cs New Member

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply; I was waiting for some parts for my computer. Well, I finally found a martial arts place that I like: http://www.ju-jitsu.ca/.

Thank you so much for your help!

blade_cs

9. Kombat

Kombat Valued Member

Good news

Hey Blade.

Great news. I'm glad you found a school that you like. I actually mentioned this school in one of previous posts, although they go by the Calgary Budo Academy now I believe. I've heard they're a good school and I'm glad you found it.

Good luck and let us know how the training goes.

Kombat.

10. blade_cs

blade_cs New Member

Kombat,

Yeah, I've been do several try out classes, and they're extremely technical about joint locks. For example, some wrist locks when done improperly would allow the opponent to roll out, but the way they taught it, completely trapped the opponent's arm. As for the chokes, they work pretty well too - even against big guys.

The only draw back is that I have to take 1 hour (bus + C-Train) just to get there, so I'm looking for other alternatives. Since you said Ninjutsu is a good self-defense art I found 2 places from the Bujinkan website (http://www.bujinkan.org/new_schools...a&province=alberta&city=calgary&search=Search):

1)
    Bujinkan Coulter Dojo
    The Edgemont Club 7222 Edgemont BLVD NW
    Calgary, Alberta
    T2M-1C8
    403-371-8885
    Instructor: Rod Coulter (Sandan)

2)
    Bujinkan Tenchijin Dojo Calgary
    2236 29th Street S.W.
    Calgary, Alberta
    403-225-2865
    E-mail: info@tenchijin.calgary.ab.ca
    Instructor: Randy Ouellette

Since I live near the U of C, the first one (NW one) is much closer. However, I am unable to reach the instructor through email or phone. Do you know if the instructor, Rod, moved? I even called The Edgemont Club, but they only have Karate there.

Thanks.

blade_cs

11. Kombat

Kombat Valued Member

Blade.

Ouch, that commute does sound a little long. I'm not sure what would have happened to Rod but I believe the Edgemont Club no longer exists...it is now a World's Gym, if I'm not mistaken, so that Ninjutsu club may no longer exist.

The other club may be a little far too. Additional options would be to check out RDW Martial Arts Academy at Market Mall (I think you actually mentioned that one already in another post). I believe they offer Hapkido and would be very close, although I'm not sure of the price or training quality.

The Tao of Peace in Crowfoot would also be close but I believe they are a bit pricey. I know they have a really nice gym/training area but I'm not quite sure on how good their instruction is.

The only other close option that offers a grappling, joint locking oriented type of martial art related to Hapkido or JuJitsu would be Hwarang Do, which at one time was offered at SAIT (not sure if it still is). The Hwarang Do website is: http://www.hwarangdo.com/ if yout want to get an idea of what they're all about.

Kombat.

12. blade_cs

blade_cs New Member

Actually, I have checked out the RDW Martial Arts Academy and the Tao of Peace in Crowfoot. Both places have prices that are way above my budget.

As for the Ninjutsu place in Edgemont, although they've changed their name to World's Gym, I phoned them and asked for Rod Coulter. The reception there claims that Rod is a Shotokan instructor, not Ninjutsu. The strange thing is, they have the exact name.

Okay, this may sound like a dumb question. Now I understand that Ninjutsu membership can be very exclusive, but is it common for these instructors to cover up which martial art they're teaching?

My other option now is this place:

Bujinkan Tenchijin Dojo Calgary
    2236 29th Street S.W.
    Calgary, Alberta
    403-225-2865
    E-mail: info@tenchijin.calgary.ab.ca
    Instructor: Randy Ouellette

It's still far, but it's closer than the Calgary Budo Academy.

Thanks for your help again.

13. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

One more option for you (the school I train at, which is also probably far - but possibly closer than the other?)

We've recently set up a website - I believe I'll be helping out with it this weekend :)

It's at http://www.martialcombatsystems.com/

Good luck once again Blade :)

14. blade_cs

blade_cs New Member

Sweeet,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I've actually talked to your instructor a while ago. If I'm not mistaken, your training centre is located at 101-2255 Woodview. I'm not exactly sure where that is, but I think it's far from the U of C (I live near there).

15. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

It's a solid 20 minute drive from the U of C. I've driven approximately from our location to the U of C before. I guess it depends how your driving is, though :D

That's the address, yes, but more obviously it's in the fitness center in the 'mall' type thing there, or off to the right of the big safeway.

It's just right off of anderson road, which really is fairly easy to get onto - and I don't think the drive is quite that bad, personally. Quick zip down crowchild, off to elbow drive (or glenmore to mcleod - or any # of better routes that I forget the names of :p), onto anderson, couple of turns and you're there.

At least I don't think the drive is bad enough to prevent you from coming down once and trying it out :D

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  16. hapkiyoosool

hapkiyoosool Valued Member

Seminar in Florida, Korean trained instructors.

There will be a seminar in Florida during November, there is more info about it on the website.

http://www.hapkiyoosool.com

See you there!

17. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

Uh....... the word 'spam' comes to mind...

18. panthr1

panthr1 Valued Member

Dynamic MMA Calgary has started a spot for us to get back to training.
    Bissett Jiu Jitsu/Tai Jitsu. (japanese jiu jitsu) as in not Brazilian....

Headed by 2nd dan black belt in our style, so it is not a "attempt" at our style but current curiculum as printed. They understand that not everyone wants to step into the cage, and selfdefence is a concern. so here we are.

There were a couple people interested, so here is a update.

Out of my basement dojo and into the light.
    free to check it out, in the NE, easy to get to just off deerfoot tr.
    also many many training options.

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Or you could come train with me in the SW - I teach tonight so pop by....