Bye bye ankle

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Emil, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Had an injury rock climbing beginning of this week - fell 15 foot onto my ankle, and have fractured my talus, calcaneus, and navicular. Have to go in for surgery next week. Looks like no MA for me for quite some time - the surgeon reckons maybe up to a year before I MIGHT even be able to walk properly on it :lowblow: Has anyone here sustained a similar injury? if so, how has it affected your training?

Em

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have been lucky enough not to have had a bone injury but after coming off of a back injury that lasted two years I feel your pain.

I hope the surgery goes well and good luck with the recovery.

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

That's unfortunate. Good luck with the recovery.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

That sucks dude. I had a knee injury which took me out, not as bad as yours tho, as although I couldnt walk with the aid of a crutch, I can at times touch the floor but not as much.
    Basically rehab rehab, physio physio and plenty of mind numbingly boring rest.

What I did to keep myself a little sane, was that after a couple of weeks of home rest, I started going to my Muay Thai / KF class as some form of assistant to keep my mind in the game.

I would 'bench coach' the trainees as I'm far enough into my training to give some form of incoherent advice. When I eventually was able to walk a bit (while in a brace), I started holding pads, clear up the room etc. I learnt a lot more and made me look forward to more coaching as well as looking forward to getting fit and healthy as I didnt want too many people overtaking me, as I'm far behind as it was :D

I dont know your skill level, but if you cant get to do that, maybe talk to your instructor to see what you can do in a similar capacity.

5. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Does a complete achilles rupture count?

Doctors told me I should just be glad to walk, forget martial arts or things like running or standing for long periods of time. Not just for a year, we're talking for EVER.

I passed my purple belt test in Hapkido last night and literally devastated a board with my "bad foot". It's been 7 months.

Yeah, I limp... sometimes ALOT. It hurts too, pretty bad some days, but you grit your teeth, ruck up and drive on. I'll take a little pain in exchange for my mobility.

You're in a far better position. Its always better to break a bone then sustain a soft tissue injury. If you have the drive, if you want it badly enough, you can have it. You may never be 100% again, but whos to say your 80% still can't blow the doors off someone ELSES 100%? :D :cool:

Most important thing, DON'T RUSH IT! Give yourself some time to heal but certainly don't let those worthless doctors bring you down.

6. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

:eek: Where was your safety rope?!?!

I've had a pretty bad sprain in my ankle for the past 3 weeks. It's still sore, swollen and bruised. Doesn't stop me from training though...I just can't put my full body weight on the ankle, and can't bend it much. It's been a slow recovery process for just a sprain :( Can't wait til it's better again!

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Good luck with the surgery!

8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I'm guessing we was bouldering?
    A form of climbing that involves staying fairly low and moving around up, down and particulally sideways instead of just climbing up stuff.

Good look with the op Emm and I hope all goes well!

Shrooms idea seems a good one, wish I'd thought of it when i was knackered!

Some upper body training may help pass the long days of resting the ankle tho?...

9. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Thanks for the good wishes guys.

@ mushroom - yeah i think im definitely going to be doing that to some degree, as i am ust going out of my mind with boredom at the mo. the only trouble is, although I am a qualified boxing coach, I have only just recently joined a new boxing club as a regular trainee due to moving location. I will have to ask the coach if it is ok for me to help out though before I go stir crazy :woo:

@ Mike - it is encouraging to hear of your recovery. Glad you are doing well..... I was planning a trip up Kilimanjaro next year. I still plan to be there, even with the aid of a walking stick if I have to. :hat:

@ metal_Kitty - Im too cool for a rope :D

@ steve - I think by the time im off these crutches im gonna have some pretty good triceps. im feeling the burn lol, especially when going uphill :weightlifter:

10. Metal_Kitty

Too cool for a parachute when you go sky diving?? :D

11. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

This thread has taught me not to ever go rock climbing. EVER.

Thank you TS, for your words of wisdom.

12. Metal_Kitty

I went rock climbing once, and something bad happened to me......

I broke a nail :(

13. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Oh yeah! I even occasionally put the milk back in the fridge without putting to lid on.... living on the edge me :p

Quick update: had the surgery, but in a routine post op checkup, discovered that I have a blood clot in my calf, which is cutting off the circulation to my foot. Am now having to stab myself in the stomach with a flippin huge neadle full of heparin every day until it clears. :cry:

14. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

For lack of a better adjective: THAT SUCKS!! :(

I really hope you heal up really quick and that blood clot clears!