Buying a new computer. Gaming and Video editing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Martial Alex, May 31, 2007.

1. Martial Alex

Martial Alex Valued Member

Hey guys.

i'm moving house and am in need of a new computer, my budgets about 950 ish pounds and i dont wanna spend too much over as i plan on getting a cheap laptop to cruise the internet with around the house. (any suggestions on that as well ?)

I am looking for a future proof desktop that will be able to deal with video editing, programmes such as sony vegas, and am wanting a system that will play games decently, i don't need nothing too insane, but a good quality. I would be multitasking and running quite a lot at once. In terms of the screen i don't mind what size, 19" sounds nice though, don't know if i want to go with the 22 inch and lose detail.

CB Fusion Raider 6600
    http://www.chillblast.com/product.php?productid=17954&cat=0&page=1

MESH Elite Prestige
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MESH-Prestige-Widescreen-GeForce-Premium/dp/B000PS9IO6

Elite E6600 GTS
    http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?KEY=183363&PAGE=PRODUCTCONFIGPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT

Zoostorm 2-6402
    http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCode=3362-6402

Evesham solar mx100
    http://www.evesham.com/products/info.asp?e=9F54CFC2-DD47-4C15-880B-CD06D0AE892C

Evesham solar quattro storm
    http://www.evesham.com/products/info.asp?e=DCE4F49E-130D-4AC8-9346-817248920F73

should i be wanting vista ? or should i also purchase xp to run as a backup ? i don't know how to partition drives so that could be difficult !
    thanks guys !

2. Topher

Topher allo!

Buy a Mac and install Windows via parallels.

Mac OS X for video editing
    Window for gaming

:D

3. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

MESH was slammed on BBC's Watchdog because of their poor customer services, however, in the computer press Evesham are supposed to be solid PC's.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If... If... you go that route... just make sure to read up on the video editing software and make sure that it runs well under the latest version of the Mac OS-X.

I have two MacPro's... the biggest, baddest, fastet Mac's out there... chock full of ram and with terrabytes of HD space. yet because there are still numerous glitches between Adobe and Mac's newest OS that runs on an Intel chipset... it means bugs and crashes.... when you least need them!!!:bang:

The solution... wait for Mac and Adobe to stop blaming each other and actually fix the frikken problem!!! :bang:
    (actually I just picked up Adobe's CS3 and some of the bugs are ironed out)

So... if you go that route (it ain't cheap... trust me)... then do your homework on the forums and make sure that the software you want to run on your new PowerMac isn't going to crash 24/7.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  5. Topher

Topher allo!

CS3 should be running natively on Mac. Latest software should do too, although some current and previous editions of software run though Rosetta, hence the lag and glitches.

I'm looking at getting a MacBook soon and from what I've been reading it appears software running though Rosetta isn't actually that bad, lag wise. So it's quite a suprise with about your Pro's.

I have a MESH PC. I’ve not had to deal with customer services as I’ve not had problems with it so I can’t speak for the customer services, but the PC itself seems fine.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

CS3 is.. but it's only just come out... so it means it took them ages to get the Adobe Software/MacPro issues somewhat worked out.... meanwhile those of us who use them in day to day work quite literally had to pay the price. :(

As it stands there are most likely still more people running CS2 than there are CS3.. seems to me they should be handing out discounts on the damn thing seeing as how some of the more important features of CS2 worked for SFA on the MacPro's. GRRRRRR!!!

Overall they run fine... but the AI/OSX issue was a HUUUUUGE problem for me (and thousands of others if the complaints on the forums are anything to go by) that Mac basically had no real answer other than to point the finger at Adobe and visa versa... not really a great sign to see when you're paying what a Mac costs compared to a PC that can run pretty much all the same software AND game natively on. :bang:

My whole point being... read up on the particular software you intend to use. It's best done on 3rd party forums and then checked on the manufacturers forum... Best not to rely just on the sales gloss sold by Mac or the software co's because they will often times gloss over some real problems.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  7. Topher

Topher allo!

It's a shame I don't hate Mac's any more as this would be the perfect time to slag 'em off! :D :p :Angel:

8. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

In terms of hardware, any of those machines will do what you're asking for. The first one on that list looked the most promising to me for the price.

I recommend however that you build it yourself, assuming you're confident enough to do so. I'm from America, so I'm not sure how much 950 pounds is. Usually when you do a build you'll need to spend at least $1,000-$1,500 USD.

But back to some of your other questions.

Vista VS XP- All of those machines are Vista machines. If you have specific software in mind that you are going to use, MAKE SURE that it is Vista compatible. Also realize that there are still some random issues with Vista that are being resolved. If this machine is meant for business I strongly recommend that you do not go with Vista.

Vista's bare minimum requirements for RAM is 1GB. XP's is 256MB. In terms of sheer speed the XP will fly with those 2GB's of RAM. Vista won't crawl but it won't fly either. But it will still be relatively fast.

But there's one thing to consider. On brand new machines sometimes the hardware that comes with it only has Vista drivers. Meaning, when you install XP and begin installing drivers, you might suddenly run into a wall and physically won't be able to install something because there is no XP driver available for it. Unless you can figure out the motherboard and every piece of hardware and do some research to verify that there is XP drivers for everything, it's going to be a gamble on whether or not you could buy one of those machines and then just install XP.

If you do decide to buy XP for this machine and Vista is preinstalled on it, you'll have to buy a full version. You cannot just buy an upgrade. I recommend buying an OEM copy.

Partitioning won't come much into play unless you're planning on making a dual boot machine (Both Vista and XP on the same machine). If the machine comes with a recovery partition you'll want to make recovery disks before you install XP. If you aren't planning on making a dual boot machine you'll just destroy all current partitions and make a new one during XP setup. XP setup (For the most part) walks you through this. (Highlight the partition, press "D" for delete, press "L" for being sure, then press "Enter" if it's the partition you're booting to. This will kick you back to the partition list and you just have to hit "Enter" again to recreate the partition for XP).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  9. Martial Alex

thanks everyone, thanks kage a lot.

yeah i think i'm gonna go with that first option. just have to get all the money together and i'll be getting it very sooon. anyone else care to give their opinion ?

10. Martial Alex

11. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Quad Core. Realize though that you would have to use Vista because XP has issues on quad core machines.

12. Martial Alex

what difference does it make as a whole ? and is it worth sacrificing the graphics card, as i am hoping to get a good gaming experience with it

also, would it make it more future proof ? and does missing out on xp matter that much ?

13. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

It'll make an incredible difference.

I'm confused what you mean by this. That computer comes with a GeForce 8500 GT graphics card.

As long as the games and software you're planning to run is Vista compatible you'll have an incredible gaming experience. When it comes to future proofing, the Quad-Core will definitely do that for you. You'll want to double check the max RAM that machine can handle though. It comes with 2GB of RAM. More than likely the cap on that machine will be 4GB. The key to future proofing is upgrade ability.

14. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

I was having the same problem but not that CS3 is out my new desktop runs like a champ! Like a whole new computer really.. (as it should be)

15. wild_pitch

The only real problem software I ran into is CS3, everything else runs fine. I just bought one of the brand new macbooks they just realeased a few weeks ago for doing digital DJ sets with. It has not given me any problems yet and is quite solid / fast. A really good laptop for the price.

16. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

:topic:

17. wild_pitch

I would say a tanget.. but not off topic per se. ;)

18. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Just messing man.

19. Martial Alex

yeah i was saying that because theother comes with an 8800.

but if the quad cores gonna make that much a difference. i'm going with it all the way ! thanks a lot man.

20. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Don't forget, you can always upgrade later as technology progresses.