Butterfly Swords/Knives ~ Variations?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Juego Todo, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

If this has been asked before, excuse me & please refer me to previous related links. Otherwise...

They're typically known as "baat chum dao" in WC/VT or "wu dip dao" in other CMA such as CLF or HG (with variations in spelling).

Question: Are there differences between the ones used in WC/VT and those used in CLF or HG?

I'm looking to get a pair for my own HG practice, but I don't want to get a pair of WC/VT knives if there are, in fact, differences.

Thanks for your input :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  2. clfsean

clfsean Mo Lum Yat Ga

The "biggest" difference I've seen (besides obvious techniques & usage theories) is CLF (can't speak for HG) prefers/likes an actual "sword" shape. The most common ones are known as "melon choppers" with the heavy forward blade section.

The design used in CLF commonly is like this... http://www.kriscutlery.com/chinese/butterfly_sword/index_butterfly.html . That is more a "sword" shaped & weighted blade.

Even then... it doesn't really matter does it? You either can or can't & the sword may make a difference to a degree, but in the end, does it make that much of a difference? :D

3. stormtrooper

stormtrooper New Member

baat cham dao sword differences

There are lots of different double swords.You should buy the ones that are suitable for the form you are learning.I know that you need the blade heavy type if you are learning the "yip chun version",these are featured on
    www.wingchunkungfu.net
    If you are learning the WT system you should use the Leung ting style swords.The shape is tottally different from the above blades.
    if you are learning the TWCKF form or A Fong form the heavier blades are more suitable.

4. Juego Todo

Thanks for all of your input. Good points by both of you :)

The two links that you'd provided displayed beautiful swords. They're noticeably different in their designs.

I notice that a lot of CMAists who practice with what they believe are Butterfly Swords are actually wielding Bull's Ear Swords. They look similar, but they're different.

I guess I'm just being a bit an*l or, in a nicer way, technical :eek: I'm just trying to stay true-to-form, that's all. Thanks again :)

5. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Better to be slightly an*l than wrong!

IT's not an*l at all to be accurate with your training.

The Wu dip dao and bulls ears swords are very different.

The number of people iv'e seen in my system (Lau) that use the bulls ears swords is just silly.

They are designed for totally different form.

6. Juego Todo

Thanks, I don't feel so bad anymore :)

I see more folks using bull's ears swords than authentic wu dip dao. I was under the impression that bull's ears swords were more for wushu or maybe northern than southern styles...I dunno...thanks again to all of you :)

7. diligentmantis

diligentmantis Valued Member

8. Juego Todo

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder how many others actually realize this difference (re: bull's ear swords)? :)

As for the wu dip dao / baat chum dao, I guess they're used interchangeably among CMAists, particularly those practicing WC, CLF, LG & HG (among some others).

I'm coming to the conclusion that wider or thinner width blades are just a matter of personal preference, not necessarily indicative of CMA style.

9. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

I chose my knives so that their length was as near equal to the length of my forearms as I could get.
    Too short and you're not protecting yourself, too long and they will catch when you try and spin/roll them.

Does anybody here know (and i'm sort of asking you DM) which systems specifically would use the Bull's Ear knives?

Colin...............

10. Bjoern_VT

Bjoern_VT Valued Member

ummm Colin, you do not really FLIP the baat chum dao do you????

11. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Lol! Not "Flip" or "spin". :D

I mean when you reverse the grip using the guard loop.