Burning palm

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by flaming, Sep 19, 2013.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Palm of my right hand has a burning pain. Anyone had this?
    I injured it carrying a box of tools.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You've probably just punctured your chi field, causing your chi to leak out, resulting in a mild burning sensation around the area of said leak.

As with all chi related injuries, you should remember the acronym MICE

Meditation
    Incense
    Cinnamon teapills
    Enlightenment

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I should of known that title would attract sarcasm.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's probably the beginnings of a blister from where the tool box handle has rubbed against your skin.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I find it more amusing your username is Flaming. :D

6. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

^this, but also

watch where you hold your hand in relation to others. although us martial artists (being well versed in the handling of chi) can handle a little leak our way, it acts as high level radiation to civilians. always wear a leather glove on that hand. the organic material will take in the chi, as chi is just life force.

7. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

although, in seriousness, in what way did you hurt your hand? is it possible that you damaged a nerve?

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I think its muscular. The fleshy part of the palm. I'm just wandering whether it needs total rest or just reduced volume.

I dont think its Brachial Plexus Injury nerve injury. I saw off google.

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Can you also describe the pain? Is it throbbing? Dull? Sharp? It could be nerve damage or you could have torn something.

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

It was more intense last night I took painkillers so I could sleep. It was a burning pain( throbbing sharp), now it only feels stiff when i'm moving the fingers. I may have over done the exercise which used my hand yesterday but it was 2 weeks so I had more energy.

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Go see a doctor. Does not sound good.

12. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I thought the brachial plexus was under the armpit? If it's near the wrist could also be medial or radial nerve. I can't remember which one runs through to the thumb side of the wrist

13. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I have been trying false grip pullups which have not been causing the burning palm currently I can do 2 :bang:

14. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

If you have the "Trigger Point Therapy Workbook” (by Clair Davies, ‎Amber Davies), there is some diagnosis and treatment info on this sort of symptom in there. It’s a very useful book if you train a lot, helps to deal with many general injuries, aches and strains, highly recommend it.

I odnt have the book on hand, but I’ve found this online, though I don’t really get how to navigate through this effectively, should be page 126 if you can figure it out. I may be having problems with this due to being on my restrictive work PC which also forces me to use Internet Explorer.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...=onepage&q=burning palm trigger point&f=false

It seems that trigger points (muscle knots in essence) in this muscle are primarily responsible for such a sensation, try massaging it; a rigid ball against a wall works quite well though may be easier to use your other hand if its not also sore. Look for potentially small, painful areas. Usually when you find the trigger point and apply pressure the pain radiating pain (pain in the palm) will intensify, but will feel better after as the massage will begin to release the muscle knots. Repeat, 5-6 times a day for a few days and it should be sorted in no time. Also, you may be holding some residual tension in this muscle or further up the chain, a long hot bath/shower as well as more attention to tension/relaxation in these muscles might be useful.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/palmaris+longus

Alternatively, have you been training in this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuWLEMZTi_g"]Tibetan Burning Palm Kung Fu - YouTube[/ame]

:hat:

15. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks, i've got that book. I'll look up the palm pain section. The link took me to the wrong page for me. It is on the muscles on the top of the foot.

I'm surprised the title of this thread hasn't attracted more tom foolery. ;)

16. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

No worries. Yeah, better just have a look at the book, not sure what’s going on with that link, Google books never works properly from my work pc.

Swift recovery!