Bumps and Bruises

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kave, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Training in martial arts often results in a few bumps, bruises, and assorted other injuries. I thought we should have a thread where we can post the pictures of the various minor (and not so minor) injuries people tend to get while training and/or competing.

I'll start it off with a picture of a pretty minor black eye that I got during training yesterday (but I have no idea how it actually happened).

[​IMG]

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Been a while since I was properly injured, but here's pic of my busted up hand from the last world full-contact karate championships I fought in. (Got a broken wrist and hand [boxer's fracture] during early in the tournament but carried on through to the finals. And yes, I won :p )

The second picture was a cocktail to soothe my spirits :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

3. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

4. Kave

Kave Lunatic

That looks pretty painful. Did you get those bruises competing? Looks like you have done a fair bit of damage to your ankle as well, last time my ankle looked like that I was off training for two months, and had a few days on crutches. That was in December and I am still doing physio and trying to rehab it.

5. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

metal kitty you made me hurt by looking ouch`!

6. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

No, I don't compete...that's just from regular training. The last pic wasn't from martial arts actually, it was from Tough Mudder :)

The ankle was the only serious injury I've had. That was about 3 years ago. Was on crutches for about 3 weeks, then took another 2 months to fully recover. But because of all the rehab work, it's actually healed stronger than my good ankle! :)

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Man, I know I posted some photos of a black eye on MAP somewhere. All I found was the thread I posted for my first black eye doing MMA back in 2006: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55560&highlight=black+eye

And I think some of the other photos from boxing are in the Epic Troll Thread and I'm not rummaging through 101 pages of nonsense to find it! :p

Doing the search for injuries through the Search function on MAP, I pretty much have my life documented on this website with a 3 year gap, lol! Anyways, this is what I looked like prior to a traumatic brain injury (first picture) and the second picture is about 6 months after a brain injury. I know you can't really see a TBI since it's internal, but if you look reaaaaaallllly closely, you can see a TBI will knock some of the crazy out of you!

Attached Files:

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

van zandt looks like epiclloyd...

also, here's a not-very-visible one of the mild black eye i got on my euro-trip, courtesy of one of jesse enkamp's students:

Attached Files:

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ero has good beard.

10. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

So manly that it can only be praised in cave-man English, eh? :p

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

12. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

Legs are bruised quite often since they block my low kicks / mid kicks often

[​IMG]

I put this in spoiler so nobody has to watch my pale and hairy legs, you cant sue me now.

Also few years ago I was caught in a leg lock, he squeezed and it hurt but I wanted to challenge myself to endure the pain (which is just plain stupid) and I escaped later. But when I went home, I was limping and after few days I had a mighty bruise which grew larger every day, it was bizarre. Real painful, walking wasn't too much fun... After a week or so it was finally painless and I didn't need painkillers anymore. Dont have picture from that unfortunately.

MOD Note. Spoiler removed so we can all see your pale, hairy legs. :evil:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  13. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

I've been training for a little under 2 years and as yet, touch wood have not received any miinor, nor serious injuries or bruises.

I assume these are seen as medals arent they?

Would it be wrong to purposely block a punch using my face? :D Does that count?

14. Heikki Mustola

Come on mods, now people are suing me for ruining their eyes

Im gonna go underground, your lawyers will never find me!

DISCLAIMER: I am not naked in that picture. Just saying.

I also once got a mighty bumb on my shin because of - you guessed it - blocked low kick. Man, I should really try to set up the kicks, not just kicking without any set ups, I usually end up paying for that in training...

15. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Sounds like you need some Ernesto Hoost in your life.

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Dang! This thread started just after I had a great bruise that had gone away. A black sash had done a power thrust that landed on my arm. Mixed in with the standard bruise I had the ridge marks of her shoe going across that bruise on my bicep.

I am very poor at blocking her power thrusts, I may get that bruise again though. Then I can take a picture of it and post it.

17. Heikki Mustola

I always loved his jab-straight-left hook the body-low kick combo. Thing of beauty, I say.

[​IMG]

That gif is slightly sped up though, but that combo is fantastic

18. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

His ability to get his low-kicks in when his opponents least expected it was quite something as well. That, coupled with his style of ending almost every combination with a low-kick, made him a nightmare to fight against.

Dude could do everything though. He wasn't called Mr. Perfect for nothing. :cool:

19. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Me like too.

When me get better, me grow one again. Must do during college. Big beard no good for hire in job in future.

:D

20. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I get regular bruises and bumps that come with Muay Thai but nothing out of the ordinarily worthy of being shown off. Had a nice black eye from Kickboxing once. Was literally from the slightest of touches. One of those awkward shots that just caught the right spot.