Bum foot

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Zdavemac, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Zdavemac

Zdavemac New Member

So. I broke my ankle into about 8 pieces a year ago. 7 pins and 3 plates and a year of recovery later, here I am. Incredibly out of shape but here and at least walking. Running is still out of the question due to pain but normal activity poses no problem and I am eager to go back to training. Now comes the problem. The art I am most familiar with is Hap Ki Do, but I am leery of kicking, and am thinking of changing to another art. Right now it is looking like Ai Ki Do is my best bet, but I am not sure if I am really peaceful enough for that particular art. Any suggestions? advice? Kind of feels like all my previous work is going to waste.:bang:

2. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Hi

Your previous work has not gone to waste. The fundamentals of martial arts are universal - balance, movement, timing, keeping your Gard up so you don't get punched in the nose, its all the same thing. Its just that different arts have a different way of learning and of expressing the fundamentals

I would be hesitant to do a throwing art with a bad foot. Learning to throw involves a lot of being thrown. Feet can slap together during a break-fall, toes can be trapped in mats or get stood on and then you get thrown.

Why not try boxing? You can wear boots to protect your feet and experience of people actively trying to punch you in the head is always useful. Baug wah (pa -kwa etc ) also known as eight trigram boxing is very heavily biased to hand techniques but has a lot of nice locks and throws as you get into it.

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Have you thought about something very low impact to begin with like your average Tai Chi class?

As for the cardio/fitness aspect...elliptical/rowing machines are far more gentle on your ankle than running will be and will still work nicely on your fitness.

4. Zdavemac

Zdavemac New Member

I was kicking around the idea of tai chi, but the various chinese martial arts taught where I live are all hindered by low quality instructors (when someone can't answer basic questions about their art I tend to just walk out). The elliptical is an excellent Idea though, I have just been walking my ass off and lifting weights as much as I can stand up to this point. also, the boots are a good point on the boxing front, the foot starts to ache abominably after too long without support (though I have been told at this point it is unlikely to rebreak.)