Bully!

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Jul 10, 2004.

1. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

I have to disagree

Well this all sounds good and fine as long as the bully's ass you decide to kick is an unpopluar and friendless kid, but if you've done like me and stupidly decided to beat up a kid in a gang because he punched you in the stomach, and then they chased me all the way to the dojang I train at, and that's about a five mile run. Needless to say when I got there I got back up though, but I wouldn't recomend beating up a gang member, but it was pretty cool to watch two masters and our grandmaster walk out of the school and ask what the problem was.

Muahahaha that's right don't mess with me I know people who can break things!:D
    -Neonxburst

2. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

"Some try to deflect the bully's interest into another (weaker) person, some stand up (eventually) to the bully, some continue to wear the abuse for years at a time",

sounds very familiar, im 17 but me and my freinds, especially me were bullied in comprehensive school every day for three years, we were hit, had stuff stolen all the time and threatened into lyeing for them and to do their homework. the problem was, i tried telling teachers ect but nothing ever changed, they just threaten u not to do it again, but i always carried on, trying to resort from violence and do it the so called "right way". but i just ended up going to hospital and living in fear at school, its not easy to fight back either, they dont fight one on one, its usually about 15 ppl on one, most of which do boxing, kickboxing or taekwon do.

i ended up at one stage haveing just one main bully as teh others moved onto my freind, and i got my guts up, i tackled the bully in rugby game (if ur being bullied tackling the bully in rugby takes guts) he went mad, and hit me in the leg and threatened me again, but instead of complaining and backing off i mocked him, i told him his punches were weak, it was a lie but he dosent know that.

going on now we were on the minibus back to the school and he was trying to look hard infront of his mates saying he will hit me, but yet again i made fun of him saying he is weak and ill hit him back ect, later on we did have three fights, just the two of us with most of the school watching from balconys ect, i beat him each time using headlocks, the fighting method i used did not harm him much physically but it humiliated him greatly, teenagers all over my city were talking about it because he was supposed to be a good fighter and i was supposed to be really weak, ppl started makeing fun of him, after that ppl left me alone, not because they were afraid of me but beacuse they now respected me for haveing guts.

what im trying to say is, humiliating the bully may make things worse but it will end the bullying very quickly, if you lose the figth, then still humiliate him so long as u dont get badly injured, bullies hate being humiliated.

i think this also has a psychological method on ur opponent, if u convinsingly pretend u r not hurt and tell them they are weak then it makes them weaker becasue they believe they are weaker than you because ur hits are not hurting them.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  3. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Thanks for sharing Leo.

I found this bullying site which appears to give some very useful information. As it is aimed at children and young teenagers it is also important to consider this article for older teenagers and adults, as I guess the idea is that when you are at school you are limited physically. Certainly as we get older we should be able make reasonable decisions based on what was seen.

One question the site does prompt is "Is telling children to fight back a good thing?"

Thoughts?

4. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

yea the only thing is if i bring myself into a fight with a bully, he should consider himself very, very lucky to walk away with a fat lip or a shiner. same with alot of martial artists here. i know where to attack, breaking bones isnt such a far off idea for a school yard fight for me. hell, some of the hapkido moves i know would cause paralysis or even death.

hey...if u got a bully problem try this....invite him to come and watch one of your sparring classes and scare the **** out of him by beating your opponent into the ground.

5. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

Yes I do think it's a good idea to tell children to fight back when they're being bullied but only as a last resort just because they don't need to get suspended if they don't have to, but also at the same time kids especially young children(5 or 6) and teenagers don't realize not only what they can do to their opponent, and what they can do to themselves what I mean by this is set themselves a good/bad reputation and if they beat the bully up bad enough they could land theirselves a jail sentence.

6. Jut

Jut New Member

beat the bully at his own game. alot of bullying starts at the verbal level and then occasionally escillates into violence.
    I found (and yes i was bullied to the point of meds and suicide) that its mainly the verbal crap that causes the most damage, both to your self-esteme and to your status in the school, club, etc......
    if you learn to have a sharp tounge it can work wonders. if you're been bullied try to find out what the bullies most sensitive area is. does he have an abnormality? obese? did he sleep with someone that his gang think is a looser? etc..... It may take a while to discover but once you know his weak point you have him in the palm of your hand provided you can build up the confidence to rip him to shreads verbally but calmly infront of all his mates but make sure you can inject some real venom into your words when he next starts givng you crap.
    yes i know effectivly it is also a form of bullying but it's survival, especially at school.
    If he decides to respond with violence dont back down at all. you may take the biggest kicking of your life but it will most likely be one of the last especially if your able to gain the respect of any of his friends in the process by actually standing up for yourself (ripping into them at points can help after all it is the bullys friends that give him power). and dont just let him kick you in, fight back like your life depends on it, go for the balls, eyes, bite the git if needs be, bring all of the dirty tricks out of the bag. mock him during it as well. "I'm still standing you pussy", "is that all you've got mr tough guy". blah blah blah.
    I guess reaching the point where you no longer give a **** wheither you live or die tomorrow helps though........but its how I managed to beat the bullys at my old secondary school.
    did that make me a bully? i really dont care after what i was made to feel.

7. Commander Zigg

Commander Zigg New Member

I firmly believe that if you have tried everything else to deter a violent bully and he just keeps on coming, then you have to resort to fighting. However, instead of using all sorts of humiliating moves and stuff, I would rather end the fight as quick as possible with a powerful move that causes lots and lots of pain, but cannot easily cause lasting damage, such as a palmstrike right onto the bridge of the nose, or a good throw. The reason being, if you keep on humiliating them, they will feel obligated (and be pressured by their friends) to get back at you. If you end it with just one technique and remain calm, it will become apparent to them that you are stronger than they are and that they should leave you alone (or at least it will implant that belief into their subconcious). Also, there is less of a chance of you getting in trouble. All the fights at my school involve several minutes of pushing around, shouting, pulling hair, throwing less than well aimed punches, etc. In those cases, the principal has plenty of time to stroll over to the fight and put both people in suspension. If you finish him off quickly and walk away, chances are you wont get in trouble. Trouble is, here in the U.S., the school system is so incredibly stupid that if you use force in any situation, even self defense, chances are you will get suspension, at the very least. Who's the moron writes these school rulebooks anyway...

8. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Althought I have never seen it happen to anyone I think the move you mention is catlogued in books as possibly fatal.

9. aikinoob

aikinoob noobism is curable

THAT'S A MYTH.

the only way to deal with a bully is to put up with it till you get an ulcer from shame and embarassment or call him/ her out and be ready to face the consequences whether you win or lose.

i took a lot of crap as a kid till i figured out it's actually healthier a lot of the time to take chance at getting whipped than it is to keep all that anger and rage bottled up.

10. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Its a myth? I missed out on this one, last I had heard it could push the cartilage in your nose into your brain, althought I never practiced it or anything but remember seeing it in a lot of books. Do you know of any research disproving or talking about it?

11. Commander Zigg

Commander Zigg New Member

Well, as you can see here , the nasal bone lies right over the nasal cavity. Right above the nasal bone is the frontal bone. Now if you were to strike upwards at the nasal bone, and it were to dislodge from it's location, all it would do is push up against the frontal bone, which would definitely keep it well away from your brain. As for straight-on strikes, the worst they would be able to do is break the nasal bone. And as for the broken fragments of the nasal bone travelling up the nasal cavity into the brain, no chance. The nasal cavity goes up far, alright, but not all the way up there. It's not visible in those pictures, but if I remember correctly there's a big bone plate under the brain that keeps it seperated from all the sinuses and stuff. Plus, the strike I'm talking about would probably only hit the very top portion of the nasal bone, and more of the lower frontal bone. There are lots and lots and lots of nerves there, and if you hit somebody there, not only will they feel and intense "hit-in-the-nose" feeling, but their eyes would also tear up.

12. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

My mom's view on bullies is this: "Beat them up" and if they're the kind of bullies that're stronger than you - "Lift weights, do martial arts, or both. And then beat 'em up" :D
    Now if it wasn't for my school's O tolerance policy ;)

13. Dante_000

Dante_000 New Member

I saw this video, and it shocked me to another dimension and back, i really feel sorry for this kid. and its kinda hard to watch. :(

Bullying

Please look at the above link!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  14. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Alright, thanks for clearing that up.

15. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

Yes because I was always under the influence on a strike to the lower portion of the nose can ram the cartlidge into the brain, and infact my dad teaches that in his Self Defense class and my grandma has seen cases like this in the hospital she works at where the person's been brought in dead from a strike like this.

16. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

If you're in school and someone's bullying you, knock them down. Teachers won't do a damn thing about bullying. You have to stand up for yourself, and if he's bigger than you, you need to get bigger. Schools have a Zero Tolerance policy for bullying and so should you.

17. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

I think its also important to look at why you might be bullied. Is it because you're available, is it because you are weaker, or different?

It is also important to look at what form the bullying takes. Is it name-calling, violent, exclusional, criminal (thefts etc), intimidation, sexual?

Just telling a child to thump someone is not always a) practical or b) effective. Why? I would be cautious of telling a child to fight. I don't want my childs ego to go too far. I don't want the bullied to become the bully.

In adulthood it is easier to appeal the reasoning of a victim of bullying, telling them to stand up and say "No" is not so hard. For children, especially young teenagers there are far deeper troubles. It comes down to self identity and self worth, both are difficult to instill in a child.

18. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I say forget all the small talk and just kick his ass.

19. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Yeah, it sucks right... and then we wonder how come schools get shot up ...

20. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

And what do you hope to achieve by doing this? Remember this is advice you are giving to a child or young teenager.