Bullshido

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Emil, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Yep, I went to one (though it was in Augusta, not Atlanta). It was tons of fun. I didn't get any flack at all for being from MAP. It all depends on if you come to it willing to check your ego at the door.

2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Like others have said, egos tend to disapear once contact is made. Everyone on both sides gains respect for showing up and for crossing hands. In fact, the worst ego's I've encountered typically have been displayed by "friends of friends" rather than posters on Bullshido (or MAP for that matter).

One more thing, on the entire banning -- this really was a case of mistaken comments coming at a bad time. I think it's all resolved and we can get back to discussions of sangria.

- Matt

3. Ecks

Ecks New Member

I didn't mean in any way to insult throwdowns - I've seen a lot of vid clips of them and they look extremely cool. I am a member of BSD as well and would love to check out one of those if they were held near Pickering or Scarborough.

I just said the whole MAP "crashing" (forgive the term, I was watching TV at the time and probably should've used a less frat-like word) the Throwdown as a way to show that we should try harder to interact with BSD in order to get rid of the whole "cold" co-existence. Maybe I'm just fantasizing.

4. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

One thing I've noticed about the many forums I'm on is that it is very easy to get aggressive and just plain mean toward people you will never meet, and have never seen. A person's on-screen personality is often very different from their personality IRL.

I think any MAPper who came to a TD would be quite shocked about how they would be received.

5. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

They do sound like fun... So, Im really not suprised that they are in good spirit...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  6. MadMonk108

I'm still trying to get her mix recipe out of her.

I'm having a hard time with this one.

She's sneaky.

7. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Mav's actually behaving pretty well on here, as are some of us other Bullies.

I was never aware that the rules and policies of one forum apply to another.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

MadMonk108, you in Maryland too?

9. Matt_Bernius

I'm pretty sure he is and you two should definitely get together. I think that would be a good meeting of the minds.

- Matt

10. MadMonk108

Yeah, I'm a NOVA/MD Hed.

11. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

i'll tell you right now, partying with me and monk is an ordeal, if you plan on it.... you've been warned.

12. Matt_Bernius

Someday... Someday... first I need to get my liver into training.

- Matt

13. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

i'm not sure if any of the styles you studied contain the iron liver form. that's one of the few korean inventions that made it into tae kwon do that is not from japanese karate.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Matt's right then. We should plan on meeting up sometime. I can tell you right now I wouldn't be much of a challenge sparring-wise at the moment. Just finished a two-year graduate program that tied me to a desk all day and night. But gimme time. :)

Edit: Maverick, that goes for you too. Dig?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  15. Evil Betty

Evil Betty Birdy, birdy birdy

A while ago I read Bullshido regularly and was even considering trolling this site.

Bullshido is great for one thing, and one thing only: realizing that you have to train "alive" to be a good fighter. This site can teach people the exact same thing, and without all the useless "discussions" and wasted text. There's almost no control there, and it results in page after page of boring, childish, uninspiring crap. I hate Bullshido.

16. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

I recently made the mistake of signing up at Bullshido. So far I have only had one decent discussion, on FMA, and the rest of the time you are either ignored (which is a good thing really, considering that community) or flamed in the most trollish way imaginable.

Another mistake I made is being lured into a flame war by members of that community that apparently thrive on pathetic, anonymous online bullying.

The site does accomplish its goal, but just barely: to expose MA charlatans. But in the process, they've lost control of that community. It's become nothing but a wasteland of trolling, with a few nuggets of information scattered about. But most of it is simple online self masturbation, at the expense of new members. The mods let the senior trolls have their way, and allow them to bully new members as long as they show up at their "throwdowns".

I've ceased to contribute to any discussion there, although I've met a few decent folks. It's simply not worth the aggravation.

17. Ecks

Ecks New Member

Well, basically, you've guys have just met the juvenile idiots who hang out there.

Unfortunately, that comprises of at least 90% of the people there. If you want to get good stuff out of Bullshido, read stuff by the mods and staff, and try to avoid posting too much. Those guys are relentless unless you post something funny.

18. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

if 90% of a community is made up of trolls and the only decent info you can get are from the handful of mods there, isn't that essentially "an asylum taken over by the inmates"? so what purpose does it serve but to be a home for faceless, clueless juveniles?

The concept of the site and its purpose is a great service to the MAs. But personally the mods have wasted it by allowing the trolls to thrive.

19. Ecks

Ecks New Member

I never said it was a civilised atmosphere.

I said that the majority of the people are pretty bad. Fine. But I also said that you can get good, well thought out stuff from the people who actually do give a damn - some that you can't find here at MAP.

You need to have a thick skin. If you don't have one, just don't post, and read around for the good information.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I can't believe people get so worked up about swearing and stuff on Bullshido.
    90% of my real conversations involve swearing and talking rubbish. Why should interent discusions be any different.

My main motivations to go on MA forums are to enjoy myself, learn a thing or two and have my views tested for veracity. Bullshido does that in bucket loads. Some stuff on there is genuinely funny to me. And also genuinely interesting.

I went to a small UK Bullshido throwdown on the weekend and the people there couldn't have been nicer. Probably more amenable and approachable than your average TKD 5th Dan.

The main problem I have with both MAP and Bullshido is the sheer size of them. I have trouble keeping up with what's been posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.