Bullshido

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Emil, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Slip's take on the same joke was better.

Now for more fuel to the fire!

I wonder why the BSD crowd keep saying we don't call people out on BS here. I can give more than a few examples when we have done this, and never have I seen a mod or admin try to stop that, as long as it remains polite.

This stickied post by Matt on the subject.

It's not because the guy is wrong or has been misled by an instructor/fraud that he deserves to be insulted and belittled. In most cases, they honestly believe their claims, so instead of trying to insult them to tears, we actually try to have them understand why and how they're wrong. Unless they've been acting like asses, in which cases they recieve what they deserve while mods conveniently look the other way.

Finding ways to ridicule someone without swearing is actually much funnier. Gotta use the good ol' imagination.

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... oh and I'll fix it for you (AGAIN)

There you go .... SEE???? Read & weep ...

LET ME FURTHER CLARIFY THAT THIS MEMBER (MAVERICKZ) HAS NOT BEEN BANNED DUE TO BASHING ME OR MAP ... BUT THAT HE CLEARLY STATED BY EDITING PETERG'S POST THAT HE WAS BANNED PREVIOUSLY FROM THIS SITE. THAT IS CLEARLY AGAINST OUR TOS AS I STATED ABOVE.

*Edit:
    Seems that MaverickZ doesn't quite understand the difference between a "ban" and a "bin" -- it was explained to me that he lacks attention to details and mean't he was "binned" AGAIN and not "banned". If this is the case then his account will be reinstated.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  3. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I thought this thread had been closed.... :confused: Anyway, I'm now a member of Bullshido, and it's not that bad. Some of the guys are a bit extreme, and the layouts a little fuzzy, but some of the guys make some good points.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Highly Skilled Peeper Supporter

I'm thinking of signing up as "DarkSparkle" due to the comparrisons of good and evil with MAP and Bullshido. : D

5. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Ditto, I was abit shocked about the welcoming that I got but it's cool now, I'm warming to Bullshido.

LOL @ Sparkle! Hehe, DarkSparkle...

6. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Yeah, what DID happen to this thread being closed??

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Funny thing.... when you close something you can actually do the opposite and open it up.

I have to say I agree with KSWolf in that this topic of BSD vs MAP is indeed sooooooooo tired.

My opinion is that we shouldn't be bashing BSD ....

8. cullion

cullion Valued Member

I regularly post on Bullshido. There's no attempt to enforce any politeness on Bullshido, and if people are skeptical about what you say, they can say so in any terms they please without moderator intervention. It's exactly like Koto Ryu said though, there's some good stuff on there. Some of the regular members are very, very experienced ma'ists with a wealth of high-level competitive and/or 'real world' experience in roles like doorwork, law enforcement etc..

I also don't think that not being a practitioner of one of the classic 'MMA' feeder-styles like BJJ or Muay Thai means you won't get anything from posting there or reading some of the more informative posts. If you're thick skinned enough to just laugh or ignore it, or perhaps even post convincing aruguments or video when somebody tells you that they think you're training in crap, then there's no problem. I post over there with Tai Chi in my style field for heaven's sake.

9. Odacon

Odacon New Member

Yes but your posts are widely discredited.

10. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

But because hes stupid, not because he dose tai chi.

11. Ecks

Ecks New Member

I just recently joined and I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, there have been a lot of well spoken people who actually know what the hell they're talking about, and the "harsher" speaking ones still provide good info and crits - you just have to sift through the insults.

On the other hand, there ARE idiots on those forums. Thankfully, they're not the experienced members who actually know their stuff. Most of the time, they're just 12 year old kids who are ****ed that their art is being discredited, and are too insecure to accept the fact that what goes on in that forum IS sometimes over-the-top and generalized.

Case in point: Some guy posted some rant on the fact that no martial art is better than the other. He said in such a cliche way that I couldn't help but say it was copy pasted.

His counterreply is to swear at me with the vocabulary of a pre-pubescent boy. I threw back a little humour at him, and just left the thread alone, lest I incite that guy to spill his life story in an attempt to insult me. :p

I personally prefer MAP overall. But there is really good stuff over there if you know how to look.

12. cullion

cullion Valued Member

Who are you again ?

13. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Sigged

14. cullion

cullion Valued Member

If you're going to sig it leave the spelling and punctuation as it is. It's somehow more poignant that way.

15. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Im actually a bit upset about maverick being banned, he contributed a lot of good discussion here. I dont really see what he did as being that bad either, at least not bannable anyway...but hey its not my decision, so... what can'ya do.

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

He's not banned. As KC said, above, he claimed to have been banned before but was actually just sin binned and he's free to come back.

17. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Ya know, one thing you may not see unless you read BSD regularly is that despite the usual bashing of JMA, KMA, and CMArtists that don't train alive over there, the worst mockery I believe has been done to the MMA/BJJ/MT/Sport martial artists who have no experience with any other martial arts beyond perhaps high school wrestling yet still feel fit to deride and mock other arts. When you are caught insulting something over there while having no experience of your own to back your insults beyond your riding on the success and coattails of REAL fighters and martial artists who happen to do the same style as you, you become marked as dumber and worse than the most deluded Mcdojo/Bullshido artist. There's plenty of threads I've seen where the typical BJJ white belt tries to bash everything else as futile to train in because of the vast superiority of anything with a Gracie name on it, and is completely mocked and laughed at to the point that they go storming off in a huff going on about how "for a site called Bullshido, they sure do let alot of BS artists post here."

As for the insults, I see it as more of a frat house type atmosphere where you just learn to accept and laugh at what's said. I'd say the majority of the members on there have some sort of primary background in some sort of non-MMA style, and for the record I greet anyone on there who claims to do Ke?po with a hearty, "your style sucks" ;)

18. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Done

19. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Bullshido is lightly moderated, which means you have to dig for the good posters. However, the light moderation also means that those good posters don't come up against much restriction, which leaves them free to say what they want. While that also means that idiots are free to say what they want too, after looking through a few threads, it soon becomes clear who is worth listening to and who isn't - hence the 'ignore' option. So its merely a matter of patience, which for me is worth the reward of an informative read.

20. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

There really isn't much more that I can add to this conversation. People from each side of the aisle will see things as they'd like. In Social Psychology this is known as a stereotype confirmation bias.

Generic MAPer's, especially TMA people, tend to pay attention to the TMA bashing and in-your-face style of Bullshido and miss the wealth of information from very experienced practioners of both traditional and modern martial arts styles there.

Generic Bullshido people, especially the younger ones, tend to only see posts on MAP that support Kata as a primary means of training and shun sparring and miss the wealth of information from very experienced practioners of both traditional and modern martial arts styles who constant support the ideas of aliveness.

The fact is there is a lot of good discussion that goes on in both places.

Can the two exist in this same big interweb? Sure. Can it be peaceful? More or less. Can it be friendly? Honestly, no. We do have cross over membership (myself included) and those folks tend to be pretty friendly. That said, Bullshido's mission (and its attitude) pretty much ensures that our two forums will have, at best, a sort of "cool" detente between us and that's it.

MAP, right or wrong, is probably never going to comply to Bullshido's world view. And there isn't much room for give in that. And since Bullshido's world view is tied up in its evangelical movement (as it has to be), that's a problem. So Bullshido, or at least some of it's more juvinile users, will continue to tweak our noses from time to time. And we'll continue to react. And things will spin up and then die down for quite a while.

I prefer not to get involved in that cycle (though my membership at both sites makes that difficult) and concentrate on the good -- the excellent discussion that does go on in both places. As I've posted both there and here, I believe in MAP as an excellent, all-ages location to discuss martial arts. I'm also not going to give up Bullshido as a place where I can talk with an entirely different group of users about important issues in the martial arts (including Traditional ones).

At the end of the day, squabbles aside, it isn't us versus them. And even if you disagree with that, why are you worrying about what they're doing. The goal in martial arts, as Ed Parker once put it, is to make your line longer, not their line shorter.

- Matt

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.