Bullshido

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Emil, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

No thats a mango :p

2. snake_vs_crane

snake_vs_crane Valued Member

Bullshido arnt quite as enlightened as they think, but then it could do some MAPers a lot of good to spend a little time there.

Bruce Lee would say absorb what is useful, if he hadnt lost his vocal chords to the process of decomposition that is.

3. Matsufubu

Matsufubu Valued Member

Cross-training for the Internet!

I think E-Budo does quite a good job of finding out fraudulent instructors, too. They're just more laid back about it and don't make it so public.

4. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

No, although I was implying that judoka(s) are.

5. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

If Judoka are fruits, then Aikidoka must be vegetables. :D

Devoken puts on his amazing beekeeper's outfit that is resitant to all forms of Judo and Aikido magic. :yeleyes:

6. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

I don't like their "vendetta" against MAP. I have to confess that I like this place, even if I don't have the time to post here daily (I got 9 forums and a lot of work). But eveb if I am a member in there too, I don't feel at "home".

7. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Bullshido do there thing, MAP does its own.
    I don't pretend to understand what their problem with MAP is, although I expect it might well boil down to the fact that not all of MAP's members are practicing Martial Arts for full contact sports, and as such, they may see MAP as some sort of threat to the Macho image of Martial Arts that they hold dear to their hearts. IE -

Bullshido - Tough guys, full contact, UFC, big biceps etc

MAP - Same as above, but also catering to those who just want a hobby, want to get fit in a different setting to a gym, relaxation etc.

Bullshido might not like us because we encourage people to participate for a variety of reasons, but in the end, they've got their POV, we've got ours. MAP is a broad canvas, bullshido is a single animation cell.

Live and let live.

James

8. Matsufubu

Matsufubu Valued Member

Not quite. Bullshido has a problem with MAP for two main reasons:

1. Too many teenage TKD, Shotokan, etc blackbelts who think they are deadly because they can do 360 spin kicks.
    2. Overzealous modding that stops the above being villified in the manner that they deserve, in the interests of not offending anybody.

Believe me, it's not because of jealousy or fear. Bullshido just despises crummy training, and MAP is simply too nice to morons. Hardly anybody at Bullshido is training for pro-fighting. If only MAPpers WERE "Tough guys, full contact, UFC, big biceps etc" rather than patty-cake playing teenagers, Bullshido would give it more respect.

Compare Bullshido Throwdown videos with the first 'MAP Meet' video. That's the difference right there.

I KNOW that there are loads of MAPpers who know their stuff and would most likely knock the crap out of many Bullies (the Internet Warrior ones, at least)...but there aren't enough of them and they get tarred with the same brush. Okay, so I prefer the NHB style of Bullshido, but MAP is also a good resource that's more kiddy and n00b-friendly. If that's your thing, great.

I'd acknowledge that the way that Bullshido is modded gives rise to 'Internet Warriors', but they don't last long because of the self-regulation of the membership. Here, they could last forever.

MAP is a broad canvas all right...with a toddler's finger-painting of their house. In the corner there's a masterpiece the size of a postage stamp, but you don't notice it because the toddler has used bright green for the front door and bright blue for the brickwork.

Bullshido is a masterpiece that some spiteful yob has scribbled on and the artist has rubbed off. The effect is spoiled somewhat but it's still fab.

9. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

As I said, Bullshido doesnt like MAP, because in their opinion, it's their way or the highway.

10. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

Lol! Nice analogy.

11. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Bullshido - The Banksy of the martial arts world. ;)

12. Matsufubu

Matsufubu Valued Member

Err, no, that's not as you said. What you said was:

Bullshido see MAPpers as the opposite - weedy, no-contact point-sparrers that have no idea of what works and what doesnt. MAP's mods are also often seen as overzealous and stupidity-enablers, softening the entire forum. Plus Phrost doesn't like KickChick, and everybody loves to ride Phrost's nuts 'cos he's the boss. :D

As for

See my above point. THAT'S why Bullshido doesn't like MAP.

In a way, it IS kind of "my way or the highway", if "my way" is hard-contact, fully resistant and realisitic training. The way Bullshido sees it, 2+2 = 4. There is no way of making 1+2 = 4, or 2+3 = 4.

Like I said before, Bullshido does not sneer at people who aren't pro-fighters, they just acknowledge that aiming for that mindset and skillset is the best way to learn to fight.

The traditional MAP attitude of "all arts are equal", "let's agree to disagree", "be nice to each other" are seen as weakness and inexperience. That's not always right, but I think they do have a point a lot of the time.

13. Nate1481

Nate1481 Valued Member

Considering the length this thread has got to could people take the MAP aproach and agree to disagree?

Both sites have good and bad points & both have diffrent pruposes, these sometimes over-lap, for example the wanabe ninja/ranger thing. In short someone mentioned ages ago (on this thread I think) that they were the light and dark of martial arts or some such philosophical blab but the concept of Ying & yang each part of the other dose make some sense

So as I started can people let this poor abused thread die?

14. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

no

also, it's yin, not ying.

15. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Ya know I've been reading MAP for a while now, and I've got to say the posters here really aren't as bad as they were made out to be. The responses to my Martial arts cop-out thread have got me laughing my ass off.

16. Matsufubu

Matsufubu Valued Member

Shut up, you twelve year-old TKD blackbelt. Go do some more point sparring!

17. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I've highlighted in an important part of what I said, a part that you decided to remove, despite its relevance to what I was saying.

Again, back to the important part that you missed out from the first time you quoted me.

I've left the important bit highlighted. Bullshido believe that the only reason to practice Martial Arts are to become a fighter. That is one reason for taking it up, yes. But look at the highlighted section again. MAP welcomes those who practice MA for a variety of other reasons. That's why they don't like us. We don't all adhere to their policy of "Martial Arts are only for fighting".

It may have been their primary purpose in the past, but these days, I think Martial Arts do a much better job for everyday people by giving them some form of exercise.

James

18. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

But then the mods on here are here to stop posts like this one below, a pure bullshido post.

19. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Keikai,

I think he was being sarcastic. ;)

20. Nate1481

Nate1481 Valued Member

ahh well just a though, has anything been resolved yet?

Damm now i can spell badly in more then one language. Apart form the spelling did i make sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.