Bulking up

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Vimtoforblood, May 12, 2005.

1. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

There is no way that you will put on significant amounts of muscle without getting fat, its impossible. If you try and keep yourself cut and put on muscle at the same time, you will be putting the girliest of gains on, no point.

Its easy to count calories, its on the back in the nutritional content. If it isnt, then use my crude method of 1 serving is the size of your fist. 1 serving = 150 calories.

2. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

What about counting the calories of fruits and the such? Just go by servings? Might give it a go, thanks.

3. NaughtyKnight

I just use my fist method for fruit and veg, its not completly accurate, but it doesnt really matter.

4. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Yea dont worry about putting fat on at all, else it will only hinder your gains, if your not juicing i think generally if you put a lb of weight on a week if your bulking clean, 1/6 of a lb will be muscle (it isnt as consistent as that, some weeks you wont put on that much, others will be more) . Obviously it also depends on your genetics, but its a good guide.

And as for protein, the rule i use is at least 1g of protein for every lb of lean bodyweight, i.e. guess what weight youd be when cut like 200lbs, then eat at least 200g of protein a day.

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  5. NaughtyKnight

200g of protein is not hard, you dont even need protein powder to get that. If you have 2 cans of tuna, thats a big slab off what you need, protein is in everything, just check the back.

I usually find that I put on around 2 pounds of fat per week, but thats because im on the bulking part. When I want to get cut, I will drop my calories from 4000 to 3500 and walk or jog 4-5 times a week on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. DO NOT do high intensity cardio to lose fat!

6. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I'm not going to touch all this gaining all this fat while you bulk up conversation but I am curious, KC why you would say not to do high intensity cardio for fat loss?

NinjaMonkey, counting calories is a hassle at first but you will get used to it. Simply write down the protein, carbs, and fat (and I like to keep track of my fiber)on a piece of paper and tally it at the end of the day. You will be able to get a good perspective of your eating habits and what you need to adjust. As has been said, most nutrient breakdowns you can get off the packaging or from websites (we have some of the addys of the sites in one of the stickys above).

7. NaughtyKnight

Blessed. High intensity burns Carbohydrates first, then protein then fat. So when you've burnt your cabs off, your body starts using your protein, it doesnt even touch the fat. Couple this together with not eating enough (when you are trying to lose weight) you will lose some muscle.

To burn fat, you should be exercising at 75% of your MHR, that burns fat and if you do it on an empty stomach early in the morning, you can burn alot of fat in a reasonably short amount of time.

8. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

I wouldn't say high intensity's completely useless. Higher intensity exercising raises your metabolism for longer than low intensity, but yeah about 75% would be optimal i reckon. I wouldn't like to see a person that really needs to lose weight doing really high intensity anyway :D

Oh, also, can you tell me how you work out about how much calories you should eat a day? I take it it goes by body weight. I'm 70 kg by the way.

Blessed, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the putting on fat whilst bulking subject, it's just it's the first I've heard about it, and I'd like a wide range of opinions.

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  9. NaughtyKnight

3500-4000 calories per day is reasonable. Make sure that you do low intesity cardio 2-3 times a week so you dont put on too much fat.

10. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

^^^^ Alright, I'll probly haveto get the cardio bit a bit better :eek: :)

I wanted to ask, would increasing calory intake be beneficial whilst training for Max strength, as most of the gains are from neural adaptations?

11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Sorry that is just garbage. The idea of doing a run/jog on an empty stomach is also completely outdated. Go and tell any of the coaches on www.t-nation.com that high intensity cardio doesn't result in fat loss! High intensity cardio is better for fat loss than long-distance aerobic exercise, do some reading, there are TONS of sources for this.

Running on an empty stomach burns muscle more than anything else I'm afraid, it's a completely catabolic activity.

12. NaughtyKnight

Err, when did I say long distance? I said low intensity (75% MHR). Long runs are high intensity.

I didnt say running either, I said jogging, obviously running (high intensity) on a empty stomach will burn muscle.

13. NaughtyKnight

Oh and here is some REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE, my mate was shaping up to get into the police. He was way too overweight at 140kg. He reduced the amount of food he ate by 500 calories (going too fast and your just asking your body to keep fat) and walked for 30mins every morning on an empty stomach.

In 3 months he shed 40kgs off himself and he was pretty damn cut.

If you want text book experience, go buy hard gainer.

14. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

This is entirely subjective and doesnt really add anything to the discussion.

15. NaughtyKnight

And what does? A forum dedicated to steriod ridden bodybuilders?

16. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Hey Moosey that's not nice and for all those other people that wasn't the whole sentence he quoted down.
    But anyway I can live with your crazy sense of humor! :)

17. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

How doesn't it! he's proving his point by making an example.

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  18. NaughtyKnight

It isnt fictional.

19. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Sorry mate I've edited it now.
    I feel like a fool :eek:

20. NaughtyKnight

This argument isnt going to go anywhere, I believe one thing, you guys believe another. If you wanna see what works for you, then try both.