Bulking up

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Vimtoforblood, May 12, 2005.

1. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Dont EVER do low fat no matter what. I know this from theory and experience. Its lowers your testosterone levels (the muscle building, fat losing hormone) and lowers your strength and you wont gain much strength or size if at all.

And this is for KC, the bigger, stronger prisoners are the ones who have connections to get a good amount of food. Theres a hierarchy you know. The ones at the top are generally well nourished.

Also, there are LOADS of skinny, weaker prisoners too.

2. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

"heh"

What is that all about then? What a worthless post.

Harhar and KC - Gotta agree with Harhar here, there are a LOT of under-nourished prisoners, in fact many more than the big strong ones. Besides, we are talking here about optimising results so people don't have to wait a jail term to make progress. Wana know about sports nutrition? http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=629609
    Should keep you occupied :D

4. Forest Bill

Forest Bill New Member

For mass train your whole body 2-3 times a week with big compound lifts and use roughly 3 sets of 8 reps. Adding a gallon of milk to your diet each day should help you bulk up.

5. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Thank GOD someone said it.

However, I would even give it more than 10 weeks to adjust, depending on your previous exercise history, you may haveto go to 6 months before doing reps under 8 or so. don't worry, you're a beginner and you'll still get stronger with those reps.

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Not only does it lower your testosterone levels, its also forces your body to use your precious muscles as energy. Muscles are alot harder to maintain than fat.

Also, my point was that you didnt need any supplements or high loads of protein. Even if they do eat more than the rest of the inmates, the amount of protein they eat is very low. Also its very high in fat.

7. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Genetics is the key here, some people are naturally big (and make big gains) on a crap diet simply because their meso bodies just can't resist forcing every drop of protein into muscle. More skinny folk have to eat much more to achieve the same.

8. NaughtyKnight

Yep, thats why Its very important to eat alot, using both carbs, fat and protein, not just one of them.

9. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

And the most 'obvious statement' award goes to KC :D

10. NaughtyKnight

Its so obvious that hardly anyone follows it. How many people at your gym are stick figures that do 1000s of ab exercises and 100s of sets for every muscle, yet they dont even meet their nutritional needs.

Do you eat enough?

11. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Absolutely true - the commonest reason for being a 'hard gainer' is not eating enough.

And I do regard Mr Olympia as having an exceptional physique - not one I'd like personally - but an exceptional one. And it took him 28 years to build it - he's 40 now and started training at 12 :)

12. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

It was a joke, and it was said by the way he said you should eat all three macronutrients, not just one

13. NaughtyKnight

Again, it may seem obvious, but I know hundreds of people that focus soley on eating protein and nothing else.

14. NaughtyKnight

LOL, well I'll be alright, I dont think I need to be that built.

Im happy with 100kg of pure muscle, im not there yet, but Im not very far either.

15. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

"Im happy with 100kg of pure muscle"

Blimey. What happened to your bones? ;)

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  16. NaughtyKnight

LOl, thats including bones mate lol.

At the moment, im 92kgs with around 17% bodyfat. Im gonna try and up the weight to around 110kgs and then lose the fat.

17. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

you guys suck. the metric system is crap! lbs anyone?

i'm at 180 lbs and i'm 5'7 at the most. and its ALL muscle peeps.
    10% body fat. ohhhhhh yeah.

18. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

KC, protein isnt all that needed? it is the key to muscle growth .. .

My advice is, theres 2 sorts of bulking;

a clean bulk and a junk bulk,

make sure you choose the former, else youll have loads of excess fat to loose, and you wont put on as much quality lean muscle.

Depending on your genetics you should aim to have put on only like 30lbs of fat at the end of your bulk period, then give yourself 3 months to loose it.

19. NaughtyKnight

Exactly thats what Im saying, obviously im not aiming to be obese by the end.

Also, can someone give me a realistic figure into how much protein is required. I have tried every single amount, and didnt see any difference. I dont even bother counting it anymore, I just eat quality foods that get me to my 3500-4000 calories a day.

20. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

It's usually about 1 gram of protein to a pound of bodyweight. With the beautiful metric system (which americans should get useto so that we don't have to keep on translating :D ) it's be about 2 grams per kilogram of bodyweight.

How do you go about counting your calories, I've never really tried, but as bulking's my aim at the moment, I think i should give it a shot. 3500-4000 calories, I take it that's for your weight, where would it be for a 70 kgs person like myself? Is it a hassle to count calories?

nForce:

So is it generally accepted that you will gain fat when trying to put on muscle? Or is it possible to put on good amounts of it without gaining fat? I've gained some muscle since I started trying, but I don't think it's optimal.