Bujinkan Aiki?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kobudo, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Just curious, what's the Buj's take on aiki? Is it something mentioned in training? Or focused on?

In Genbukan we have aiki kata and techniques in the KJJR syllabus, but I've never heard anyone in the Buj mention them, although some of the schools containing aiki elements are practiced by both orgs?

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The principle is contained in some of the ryu & it's taught in this context usually

It's a bit different from the way that aikido does it 'though

3. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Isnt Tanemura- Sensei trained in one of the lines of DRAJJ?

4. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Yes he is, the Yamamoto line, but I'm thinking more in context of the schools the orgs have in common, like Takagi Yoshin Ryu

Thanks Dunc, so would I be right in thinking that if it applies to a particular kata, or Ryu, it would be focused on in that context, but not as an ever present factor in Buj training?

5. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Hi

Yes it's trained as part of kata where appropriate and, in my experience, that's the primary vehicle for introducing the concept

However, I'd suggest that it's quite a useful / common principle, so it's used quite often by soke and the shihan. I feel that there is an element of aiki in pretty much all taijutsu, eg it's present in kihon. As usual in the buj not everything is overtly taught, so probably if you've not studied the kata and had "your eyes opened" to the concept then you may not see how the Japanese guys are using it

Although I only really speak for myself. Probably others have learned the principle in different ways

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013