‘Building the Gymnastic Body’ by Christopher Sommer – a review

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frodocious, Dec 14, 2008.

1. kombatmaster777

kombatmaster777 Valued Member

wow lol

I would have never in a 100 years guessed that lol

Damn, what kinda name is Frodicious anyways?

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It's a play on the word 'ferocious'. It was given to me by friends a few years ago because; I'm small - like a hobbit, I eat a huge amount - like a hobbit, I do lots of scary 'ferocious' sports and I'm a Lord of the Rings fan! I don't have hairy feet though! :)

3. kombatmaster777

kombatmaster777 Valued Member

Wow lol. I thought you were a 35 tear old hermit that works out sometimes and enjoys the Trilogy.
    I guess I was right about one part lol.

A 16 year old teenager talking to a middle aged female hobbit about gymnastic strength training LOLz

Thanks Frodicious you just made my day lol.

I'm off to the Crocodiliario next to the golf course I live on ttyl

-kombat

4. Frodocious

You know what...

It never occurred to me that I was middle aged till you mentioned it! :woo: :cry: ;) :D

5. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

You needn't worry, Frodocious--I'm a year older than you! I just started the Gymnastics Bodies training last week. I'm sticking to one static posture per day because the training is tough--in ways I hadn't expected! Mostly I find I get exhausted--downright wasted by the end of things. Granted, I am training my capoeira right before. I am enjoying all of the challenges. What is so humbling is that I thought I had at least decent upper body strength, but I'm learning that I have a way to go in that arena. The book specifies preparing the wrists, but thankfully I haven't had any issue with my wrists (could be the years of capoeira and being on my hands). It's enjoyable.

You'll have to tell me what it is like for you to do the workout when you get to it. Good luck to you when you do.

paz,

dormindo

6. Frodocious

Will do! :) I won't be starting till the end of January as I have a major report due in then and am really busy writing it at the moment.

I'm currently trying to kep things ticking over by doing a couple of exercises a night including: push ups, frog stands, pull ups, deck squats, handstand pushups, 1 leg bridging, 1 leg squat negatives, v-ups and l-sits.

If the schedule I've planned above is too much, I may do it as a 2 session per week, 2 week alternating cycle. I'm thinking about restarting Capoeira as well, so a lot will depend on how many classes (including BJJ, Judo and, hopefully, Ninjutsu) I end up doing.

7. dormindo

Oh, you're a capoeirista as well? And you're training three other arts? Wow. What grupo do you/did you train with in capoeira?

paz,

dormindo

8. Frodocious

I know, I'm mad! I just enjoy different aspects of each style. Trying to fit everything in is a bit of a nightmare, though!

Actually, Capoeira is the one I've done the least of, I went regularly for about a year and then over the last couple of years I've made several classes per year and tried to keep up the basics at home - not the best way of doing it, I know, but real life got in the way of my fun! :bang:

The group I trained with is: http://www.manchesterliverpoolcapoeira.co.uk/

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

middle aged??

middle-aged???? :eek:

wait a second... those of us 50 plus are middle aged!!! :mad:

frodicious is still in the prime of life (unless you are a professional athlete):)

:star:don't pay any attention fro, its just jealousy at your committment:star:

powchoy

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

You know what really annoys me? People who write good books and then for some reason best known to themselves choose not to sell them through amazon. Presumably they think that they can get away with charging more through their crappy self-owned vendor, cheerfully ignoring the fact that due to less people buying it they'll make less money. But what really ****es me off about it is that I have to use my credit card to get them. Which means I either pay it off instantly or lose track of my finances completely. Amazon are fine with debit cards, so what's so special about these people?

11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It usually puts me off completely to be honest. If it was on amazon I would probably own it right now but simply because it is a nuisance and I don't use credit cards I refuse to buy it. His customer service is pretty crap anyway, I sent him multiple emails about it a while back and never got a reply or acknowledgement. Seems very in-crowd to me, especially when you go on the forums.

12. Frodocious

Whilst I can understand the frustration of not being unable to buy these books on Amazon, I think it's to do with them being small print runs and not on general release. I think that in order to put something on Amazon the writer and/or publisher has to go through the process of getting an ISBN number and other hassles and if they're only doing a small print run it may not be worth their while. That being said, if it was easier to get hold of some of these publications then it would be worth their while as more people would buy them and they'd make more money.

I can't comment on the customer service, folks on the forum who've emailed him seem to have got replies ok. I've never noticed a problem with the 'in-crowd' thing.

My real frustration is with (a) the continual references to the unreleased texts, (b) the lack of clarity with the program design chapter, and (c) the fact that the 'Workouts of the Day' are aimed a lot higher than beginners and require access to more equipment than the book suggests is necessary.

13. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

I don't think that they're great at responding to emails.
    When I ordered the book, there was an error on the page so even though my purchase had gone through on paypal, it wasn't acknowledged by the online shop.
    I sent a couple of emails askig for confirmation that my order had gone through okay but no reply.
    The book arrived fairly quickly so that put my fears to rest but it would have been better customer service to reply and re-assure me that the order had gone through.

14. madknight

madknight Valued Member

There is another email you can contact him from and he replies to that one quite well I've heard. For some reason the one on his site isn't monitored very well or something.

The bad thing is I can't remember where I found it right now. I'll keep looking though and post it when I find it.

edit: Found it: olympicbodies@aol.com

Try that one

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  15. mahantesh

mahantesh New Member

Hello Frodocious
    its already been quite a few months since you started with these basic strength exercises so how are the progress coming along?? update us please :)

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Oh, it's finally bloody well out, is it?

17. Frodocious

Unfortunately I haven't got round to starting the program yet. I had to change jobs and was really busy tying up loose ends in my previous job and now I'm in Poland, working weird hours, with no equipment. I'm planning on starting some basic bodyweight stuff this week to prepare myself for when I get home in July, at which point I will make a proper start on a more comprehensive program. Sorry to disappoint you on this one, but real life (and the need to be paid) got in the way of the fun stuff again!

18. mahantesh

mahantesh New Member

oh its alright Frodocious
    i know what u mean :D happens to me as well.. after all real life is important

hope u get time to do it soon :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  19. dormindo

Understood on that, Frodocious. I started in January and found myself modifying workouts at times and sometimes even skipping workouts due to school related time restraints. Even with all that I made some slight gains in strength. Now that I've graduated, I've just started back (one day in) and looking forward to the summer's training.

paz,

dormindo

20. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

do you need equipment for this???or would I be better off with Never gymless?