Building bodyweight

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Enigma_TKO, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Enigma_TKO

Enigma_TKO New Member

Hey guys im hopign you can help. I want to get bigger and build up my weight, i find it hard to put any weight on. im 18 bout 5,8 and only weight 110 lb. Is there any way i can build my self up?.

Thanx Matt

2. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

Eat a lot more, sleep a bit more and lift heavy. :)

3. Enigma_TKO

Enigma_TKO New Member

how much more?. should i increase the amount of protien i eat?.

4. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Protein wise eat 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight (you can eat 1 gram per pound of just bodyweight if you want, it's probably easier to eat 1 per lb. of LBM though). Sleep is extremely important. Eat 5-6 times a day. Eat good clean foods, no fast foods and garbage like that. Lift HEAVY. I was in your position. I'm 5'8" 141lbs, used to be 120-125 lbs. Eat, train, sleep, repeat. I haven't been lifting too seriously for a month or so (damned PE course) so I've stayed at 141-ish. Consume around 2500-3000 calories a day btw. That, combined with heavy lifting, should help to get you bigger.

5. Enigma_TKO

Enigma_TKO New Member

is that 5-6 full meals a day or like 2 full meals and the other good snacks. How do i know im consuming the right amount of calories?

6. Enigma_TKO

Enigma_TKO New Member

Equipment

Would i need something like this or would dumbells be sufficient to start with?

7. jackthe

jackthe New Member

Split the 3000 cals in 6 meals (500 cals/per meal)

in the morning you can go for oats/eggs whatever
    beaf/chicken/green leafy veggies for the day (noon)
    some starcy foods in the eavening (before workout that is , if it's in the eavening) like beans , potatos , and some beaf/chicken.
    After that you can have a post workout shake (whey protein and malto/dex combo , see the window of opertunety on abcbodybuilding.com) and after an hour or so a post workout meal (it can bee your lunch again).
    Before sleep you can eat a sleep stack. Let's say cottage cheese and the sort (contains slow burning protains).
    Sorry about my spelling.
    -------------
    You can keep track of what you ate easealy with fitday (http://www.fitday.com , it's free anyway).
    Just keep it clean , lay off mcdonalds ;).
    -----------------------------------------
    For the [Equipment]: Well something of that sort , you need to lift heavy but under a trainers guide. Don't go blow your intestines now....
    Have a workout plan and split upper/mid/lower workouts in days. (one each)
    Remeber to ask someone with knolage on the matter to point out what you should do , and how much you cam lift without hurting yourself.
    Dumbells won't suffice for bodybuilding.
    Once again , i reffer you to abcbodybuildin.com for thery articles and forum suport on traning and bodybuilding nutrition.

Cheers!.

p.s. excuse my poor english/spelling

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  8. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

equipment

You really whant to go to a decent gym if you can that would be the best because you would have acesse to all of the different types of equipment, but I understand that may not be possible.

9. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Start with about 3000 calories and increase every week or two until you see your bodyweight increasing.

That "equipment" is horrible for any real size and strength. Try an olympic barbell with a lot of plates.

About 300lbs of plates + standard 45lb Olympic bar + power rack + bench should do.

My wish is to one day move into a house with my own home gym with the equipment listed above (and maybe more later on :D).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  10. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

I agree with the equipment above by harhar.

One suggestion program wise would be to train for functional strength at the same time so it will have martial arts/fighting carryover. The sets/reps parameters would be 3-5sets of 1-6reps at about 80-100% of your 1RPM(1 repetiton maximum) hitting a program of 5sets of 5reps would have good strength and size gains. Remember to change around the sets/reps parameters every 6-8 weeks or so to shock your body into new gains but if your relatively a beginner your going to make good hypertrophy and natural strength gains anyway.

Hope this helps.

11. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I have one more thing to input. Want mass? Big multijoint, compound movements like squats, deads, bench, dips, pullups, military press, etc. will all pack on the size. Combined with 5x5 like sharkey said, and a good diet, you'll get big and strong. Then change up your program (doesn't have to be the actual exercises, especially if you want a big bench or squat or something). Change up the reps, sets, rest periods. Manipulate those factors every 4-8 weeks (depending on how your body responds) and you'll make size and strength gains. Don't forget to have a rest week every so often;). Did I mention eat like an elephant? :D :D

12. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Oh it's like saying hello to my old body.

Go to the gym and bench, squat, deadlift, pullup, row, clean and jerk, shoulder press, leg press. Then eat lots of protein, 200g+ a day. In a few months you'll be 130-140lbs.

13. Another thing with the equipment - it only allows for up to 60kg resistance. This might not be enough for your pulldown and the leg things. I haven't used the nasty pec deck thing before, but if it's like the pec fly machine you'll probably be shifting well over 60.

If you're gonna buy equipment, grab a bench and a big bar with lots of plates :) Cheaper and better :)

14. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Say hello to my friend Mr. Sandbag. $15.

Mr. Pullup bar cost me nothing to make, if you dont have the materials it will cost you about $10 or less.

Barbell and dumbells are great guys too.

I'm not sure what the cost would be in pounds or euros or whatever though :confused:
    I bet not much though...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  15. Maverick

Maverick New Member

You can get a cheap, crappy barbell set for £50 odd quid, with 50kg of vinyl weights and thin bars. You'll outgrow this too quickly for it to be worthwhile. Anybody can deadlift more than 50kg.

Better save up and buy an olympic set, will set you back £140-200 but worth it.

16. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

You can go for a very scientific approach but I find it just doesn't work in practicality.

RE: calorie count and stuff like that. The problem is that it doesn't take into consideration how many calories you are currently consuming. If you are eating 4,500 then the recommendations that you go for 3,000 will mean you lose weight! Easiest thing to do is eat the same amount you do now but add in an extra "meal" - I basically make a few extra sandwiches, pack them with ham and cheese and eat those during the day.

My personal approach is to increase protein intake somewhat, normally by knocking back a protein shake after training (I train twice a day, strength and conditioning in the morning, MA in the evening). Rest is important as I said earlier. Get an extra hour or so. Take naps :D

Lift big and heavy. Work on deadlifts, squats, benches, pullups. Hit your abs too, but lifting heavy DL's and SQ's will work your abs. Check out Super Squats if you want a good routine. I've used it before, its very tough work but you will pack on weight.

Most important thing is to not get stressed over it. Weight gain doesn't happen overnight.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  17. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

depends on how fast you put on fat tbh, but eat alot of carbs, high protein, med fat,

if i was going to bulk id have about 3-400g of carbs, 2-300g of protein, 100g of fats

18. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

you need to goto a decent gym if you expect to make any dramatic changes in your weight. compound exercises are best since they work the most muscles. also, you should work everything!!! i mean chest, back, legs, arms, abs, lower back. the more muscles you work to build, the heavier you'll become. also, you should be lifting weights heavy enough that you'll have trouble lifting the 3-5th rep. make sure you have a spotter for exercises like bench press and squats, cause if you're lifting such a heavy weight, it's very easy for you to lose grip and drop the weight on yourself.

also, for each set, you should keep lifting until you can't lift anymore. for example, when i do bench press, i go for 5-6 reps for each set. on my 5th, 6th rep, i have to struggle and really breathe hard to finish pushing the weight up, then bringing it down. i try to press one more time, but my muscles are too tired to lift that one last time. then i take a 5sec to 1min break to stretch, sit down, and then continue to do the same exercise for another set. if you're not struggling on your last rep for each set, you're not working hard enough, and your muscles won't build as fast.