BUDOSHIN JUJITSU

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by hardball, Mar 11, 2013.

1. hardball

hardball Valued Member

George Kirby is the founder of Budoshin Jujitsu and the American Jujitsu association. Basically it's traditional Japanese Jujitsu. Kirby is a published author and I just finished reading most of his books. He was Black Belt Magazine 2007 Instructor of the year. I thought his books were very well written and informative.

I was wondering if any of our vast world wide audience studied Budoshin? If so, what do you think of it?

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What is it based on?

3. hardball

hardball Valued Member

I'm not sure I understand your question?

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If it's called Budoshin jujitsu and was created by George Kirby then it's basically NOT traditional Japanese jujitsu.
    They are generally founded by japanese people (or families) and much longer ago than the last century (before the meiji restoration of 1868ish being a prime landmark).
    So in order to qualify as japanese jujitsu (or even just to qualify as related to japanese jujitsu) it should have some sort of lineage. Be based on "something" that really IS japanese jujitsu rather than Budoshin jujitsu.

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Did the guy study 6 months of Tae Kwon Do in Detroit then create this school?

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

From Georges site; http://www.budoshin.com/

I am not entering into the logical fallacies into the "lasted this long" argument, or even the horrible "parent art" reference

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Thanks for the link Hannibal.

On the front page of that website are two photos of this guy. They are both biomechanically incorrect forms of the techniques attempted.

On the left when he has a greying pants on and is holding the guy on the floor his right foot has the instep on the ground. This is incorrect form for ambulation, the proper form is to have the ball of your foot on the ground so that you can immediately engage the leg should it be necessary to move from that position.

On the bottom right wrist lock it is applied in the wrong place (not the wrist part - his body part) standing where he is will be fatal as he as all the Uke needs to do is connect his elbow to his hip (by walking into it) and then can strike or clinch. The correct position will have the wrist Uke's leg forward and the wrist behind it so he cannot circle in to strike, and to do so Tori would be 180' from the position shown. As is he would be knocked out before applying the lock.

8. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

AJJA Budoshin

My Dojo is in the process of becoming a member of the AJJA. They are members of the Nippion Seidokan and the National reps for a few other international Jujutsu orgs. I spoke with Mr. Kirby through email and he generally seems like a very nice fellow willing to accept and help anyone but also I can't speak to Mr. Kirby's abilities as I have never trained with him or experienced his Budoshin Jujitsu. I can say I don't find anything wrong with Budoshin jujitsu, it seems to be simple just Mr. Kirby teaching what he has been taught or maybe more accurately synthesizing his own experience and training to form Budoshin. Mr. Kirby isn't making some wild claims of inheritance of some unknown Ryuha, with no paper work or worse yet false or poorly faked paper work, like others I could name. The AJJA from my own investigation are simply a hodgepodge group of Judoka and jujutsu practitioners who are trying to help others advance their dojo's, training and knowledge. The reason I'm joining is they offer a national liability insurance policy to small Dojo's, like mine, of 1million US for a very small price of 25$ a year. If I tried to get that on my own it would cost me 900$ US a year.

That is my 2 cents on it

James

9. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

This has come up before in another thread.

This bit from Chris regarding the lineage error:

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Based upon what I saw on the first page I wouldn't say it was a good solid system. It looks more like some level of understanding, but with flawed basics making it dangerous and not much use against someone skilled.

Still, it is nice to have a hobby and to each their own.

PS - it seems a lot easier to create a new martial art than get good at an old one.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  11. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Here is his intro for his DVD course:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZAAOJIKUFc"]Budoshin Jujitsu: The Source - YouTube[/ame]

"For more info go to www.budoshin.com/BJJhomestudy.htm"

OT but I find this on the description a little misleading.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_vObZHiqkE&list=UUYcoJckftj7T7FIRc4xF8Rg&index=1"]Budoshin Jujitsu Hip Throw & Drop Throw Body Placement - YouTube[/ame]

Anyways did he really say "you are breaking his kuzushi"? :D

12. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I have never heard of this guy or his system but this seems like a harsh judgement to make based off a single webpage.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

A hip throw you say?
    Not a shoulder throw maybe?

14. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Was my technical critique incorrect?

15. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You see - that point I made about the foot in the photo on the instep - he does it here again at 0.54. It might be harsh that I pick up on it, but it is because the lack of awareness in that one photo leads me to believe it happens in other areas.

The only time he goes into the correct foot shape is at 1.09 when he should not as he exposes the ankle to a stomp by doing it there.

It's the little things like this that can show the difference between someone who knows what they are doing and does not.

16. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

And everyone gets everything correct all of the time ?

Agreed the kata gaesh is a little lose...and the foot is inactive....but I am sure we all make minor errors...

Smurf

17. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Yeah, but I pointed out the foot twice. Once could be me being picky, twice could be me being REALLY picky.. but I think its more likely he just doesn't know.

Also - what is the Kata Gaesh? We use different lingo over here... are you talking about the wrist lock he has on incorrectly on the first page of the website that I mentioned or something else?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  18. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Now you are being picky ....

Have you trained with the man ?

Are you judging him from a video clip and a photo ?

I am just a tad fed up with people knocking and taking others apart on the forums and it is not a criticism of any individual ..

I come here to share and offer advice and help if I can ...I am under the impression
    That others do too.

SMURF

19. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

The technique shown here is badly flawed. Though to be fair he may be demonstrating how NOT to do it for all we can tell from a photo like this.

A friend of mine (a modern "jujitsu" guy of instructor rank) once pointed out that this technique did not work and was useless and had to be modernised (eeek!).

He did it exactly like in that photo.

He commented that the uke could escape it easily and it was a bad technique. He know knows it works just fine as it is. It seems that he had lost "connection" with the real technique. (Which is why lineage CAN be important sometimes)

20. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Rather than get upset and making it about the person why not just make it about the technique.

Are the points I discussed valid technical points or are they not?

Can the points I discussed be seen by you and me from a video or photo?