Budo of Elegance

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Fudo-shin, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

I was looking through this book and found it very interesting. I had a question however...I can't remember the page right now, but it states something to the effect by Hatsumi S, about how it was important not to severe a close tie was one of the lessons he had learned from Takamatsu Sensei, and how he felt it was important.

He then goes on to say that out of the 7 students he took to see or I believe he said "ïnherited" from Takamatsu Sensei (not sure what that meant)(Also I only count 6, Tanemura S, Manaka S. Oguri, Seno, Ishizuka, Kobayashi),
    that only Hideo Seno and Kouchi Oguri remained.

I can figure Tanemura Sensei and Manaka S. creating their own orgs and Kobayashi not being active in some time not being counted. My question is why he is not counting Ishizuka Sensei?

I can only think maybe there is an issue in translation, just an oversight, I really don't know maybe someone can add further clarification, as well as the page number.

2. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

The English text lacks some things the Japanese text at the back of the book has which may change the meaning somewhat (making it a bit more ambiguous).

The 7th was Muramatsu, I believe.

I'm posting from a train on the way to Akihabara so I can't provide the page number or text.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

The name of the book is actually, The Essence Of Budo and the page number is 128 where he is talking about Takamatsu S. performing the sword dance.

Muramatsu? I thought he came later. In the famous group pic it shows 6 plus a news reporter.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. garth

garth Valued Member

Muramatsu stated training the same week or month as Stephen K Hayes

5. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Perhaps the term 'inherit' is meant in the way that those people were already with him when Takamatsu sensei passed the ryuha to him? Hatsumi sensei was teaching a group before he became soke. While he was teaching them, he was doing so under the authority of Takamatsu sensei. When he became soke, he became the person with final authority and 'inherited' them along with the ryuha.

I suspect that the concept does not translate easily from Japanese to English but perhaps it could be like this.

6. Tsukaneru

Tsukaneru Valued Member

I guess a lot was assumed from that old photo over the years, the one from the day Takamatsu Sensei received several of Hatsumi Sensei students for training. Do we even know who took the photo? We don't really know how complicated the links between all these people were either. I certainly know very little, but that was good food for thought Duckula. Thanks

7. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Maybe that's why Hayes thinks he's contemporaries with that crowd.:rolleyes:

ps-I am starting to think that you like bringing up SKH just so people can rib him.

8. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Just so people don't take this out of perspective, from the SKHQUEST website:

9. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

Let's not go the SKH route please. It gets quite old.

Anyway, I am not sure how accurate this is but here is what one Myofu-an website says:
    This was on this website http://www.myofuandojo.com/muramatsu-shihan/

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011