Bubble wrap the MAP breakables.....It's back!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sam, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Hey Everyone!

Just thought I'd do the obligatory "Hey remember me?" thread before I start jumping back in.

For those that do heres an update - still clumsy, random and a little bit insane. Still working in outdoor pursuits but worked my way up to managing the centres as opposed to trying not the break the customers. Not back at training.......yet! Currently based in Portsmouth so am getting my Google on for clubs around here (any recomendations would be good).

Most importantly I can't for the life of me remember if I got to Black Belt before I left Karate - as a result I reckon this is as good a time as any to start from the start! :)

God it feels good to be back - in a wierd, looking around warily, waiting for the abuse to start sort of way.......True story. :D

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Welcome back!!

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Awesome, good to see you again!

Let me know when you want the ban hammer back ;)

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Sam... Sam... Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time, a long time...

5. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iru1hhik8U"]"Where the Hell You Been?" Brother Tim - YouTube[/ame]

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yay!

*dances naked around you*

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Oh good God, batten down the hatches, Sam's back! :D

Mitch

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome Back Sam! :D

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Sam! Other than the krotty club I mentioned on fb I can probably write a fairly decent list of clubs round here but I'm not sure how much of it you'll be interested in. Obviously I'll plug my gym every 3rd sentence too. Guessing you've probably googled all the ones I know by now but let me know if you just want a quick list of arts/clubs to pick from.

Edit: Ok minor plug: Free fitness sessions at Gym 01 for this month :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  10. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Ban ham....oh look a shiny thing

And with that I shall bid you all adieu....:D

11. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

must have been a long time....I don't know Sam. :( But hi anyways. :)

12. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Cheers dude! I may well need that list.

I've got a couple I'm going to check out this week, one in Waterlooville so I may not make it back alive - if I can't find anything around here (although I'm sure I will). I'm strongly considering the commute from here to Poole twice weekly to train with my old club!

Where is your gym out of interest?

13. Southpaw535

Gym01 is in one of the fat old industrial units by the football stadium. By mcdonalds and b&q and stuff. My geography sucks so I'll just paste this
    http://www.gym01.com/find-us/

Right, Lists!!!

All from memory (so there'll prob be some I've missed out) and in no particular order:

Karate:
    City Girls club: http://www.seku-karate.co.uk/page34.htm

Muay Thai
    http://www.portsmouththaiboxing.co.uk/
    Trained with Matt a couple years ago. Good club, good group. Was a bit expensive when I could only get one class in a week but its pretty cool. Never saw any sparring in the couple weeks I was there though.

Kickboxing
    http://www.southernkickboxing.com/classes/

Classes all over the place. Trained with Luke once and liked the class and one of his instructors is a friend of mine. hasn't trained with him in along time but if he's anything to go by then this is a solid club.

TKD
    http://www.portsmouth-taekwon-do.co.uk/

No idea.

Aikido
    http://www.portsmouthaikikai.co.uk/address/

I think this is the place I did a lesson at. Was under 18 so they wouldn't let me take any throws (damn insurance!) but seemed pretty cool. Don't know anything about aikido though so take that as you will.

Ninjutsu
    http://www.portsmouthmartialarts.com/traditional-japanese-martial-arts-classes/

Train here if you must have a ninja fix but don't expect much. Only went to their mma class and while they were an incredibly nice group and they clearly tried hard I wasn't impressed. Like at all. Hear actual ninja guy is also a dick and has frequently endangered people in demos.

Wing Chun
    http://kamonwingchun.com/2011/10/portsmouth/

I trained BJJ with Kevin when I first started but unfortunately remember none of it. I hear he's pretty respected in WC circles but personally, and this is just my opinion, he seems a bit money grabby now. Had a few of his guys leave and come to us, and his assistant instructor recently left and set up Exile gym in I think Southampton. Purely out of club doucheness I won't link his bjj club :p

Judo
    No web site but

British Judo Association, Priory School Judo Club
    Club venue: Priory School
    Contact Jon Patterson on 023 9283 0043 or email jonpatterson1@hotmail.co.uk

I trained here for a couple months but its hard for me to give a decent account since I'm just not big on doing judo myself. I will say though that the club is solid and Jon is hugely respected by me, and the 3rd dan black belt I train with. Honestly out of all the clubs I mention, other than mine, this is the one I recommend most.

The Awesome
    http://www.gym01.com/

Ok, up front I will tell you we're pricey. I pay 63 a month for my membership although that is top tier and I get a decent deal out of it since I have no job and no social life to speak of so can train a lot.

Now as far as arts go we have:
    MMA - Brian Adams ran South Coast Submissions. Good gym, good team, couple pro guys doing well. James Brum recently fought in BAMMA and him and another fighter are going to fight at another event in Europe although the promotion escapes me. They're good is what I'm saying. The gym's owner also owns the local Shock N Awe promotion which is pretty handy (Another event on next month ;) )

K1 Kickboxing - Haven't got round to doing it yet but the guys I've watched are awesome.

Boxing - Can't comment on the coach as I havn't done it but I hear very good things about him. Trained a couple UK champions.

Wrestling - Freestyle. Holy crap if you conditioning then do this. Good instructor, really knows his stuff.

BJJ - AND US!! I'm actually not going to say too much here because I get I'm hardly impartial. I will say though that its a solid group. Seriously love the club. Relatively small as far as experienced guys go although we've recently picked up a lot of noobs. Only 2 blue belts although a few of us should be graded (relies on visits from Nova Uniao BBs) and despite only having about 4 people reguarly compete we always come back with medals.

They've also started some fitness classes with circuits and whatnot which as I said on fb are free this month. Run jointly by a pro fighter and a girl from my club who also runs women's only classes. Both know what they're doing and Jade's list of qualifications and clients is stupid for someone who only started doing it properly this year.

Come to Gym 01 basically. Links in the sig if you want timetables, prices, and proper info on the instructors. :p

14. Mitch

The TKD club SP links to is the same Org as me. Sounds like an open and honest sport based club with lots of fitness benefits. You'd have the benefit of clubs all over the country if you're travelling (I hear there's one near Nottingham where the Instructor is like some kind of white Shaft crossed with James Bond, but sexier :D) and competitions every other weekend if you're prepared to travel.

Mitch

15. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

You my freind have some epic list writing skills - thanks for the info. I have a bit of looking around to do.

I will definitely be down to check it out - followed by hyperventilation and potential near death experience.

My current thoughts are that if I can't find anything Japanesie (true word) that fits, then I'm going to look at making the move into MMA. I'm only about until April before heading off again!

Don't they do open uni courses for Martial Arts yet? It would make my life so much easier......:Angel:

16. Southpaw535

No one from Portsmouth ever joins. You have no idea how long I've had that list bubbling away inside :p

Cools. Let me know if you do come check out the gym and I'll either be there or not depending on your preference. I also finally have an ID I'm waiting to use so you can have a recovery drink on me :D

17. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I'll give that Nottingham Club a wide berth....combined with my own sexiness that could be way too much overload :D

To be honest having the option to switch between UK wide clubs would be a massive benefit - I realise it won't be much gain for progression purposes but after three years out I want back in!

Lots to look into!

As a responsible, mature adult who works with children for a living promoting social and life skills I cannot con......sure why not. :D

Edit: Wait you're a growed up now......strange what can happen in 3 years!

18. Mitch

An hour ago you were bidding us all adieu and going to bed yet you're still here. Welcome back to MAP properly :D

Mitch

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

get him drunk and take pictures.

20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Hey Sam! (sorry been gone 2 days myself)

Look what they made me while you were away!! :p