BtB's C25k

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Bozza Bostik, May 9, 2013.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

After putting it off and putting it off I shall start the Couch to 5k programme today.

I really don't know what to put in this log, so I am just going to write the schedule up and write a comment or two about the run. It's more of a way of motivating myself to get out there and do it.

A quick bit of history. I started running about 2 years ago and really got hooked. I did it just to get a little fitter but started to take it a bit more seriously. I even went for running couching as it was incredibly cheap if I got the sessions through the local athletics..."society". I aimed to do some half-marathons and I was hoping to fly to the states and do this (even with my anxiety problems and mild panic attacks):

http://www.runforyourlives.com/

I was doing quite well and got up to doing 15 ks on my longer days until I screwed up my ankle. I've had a ton of physio and although my ankle is better, it's not 100%. I have to see how it goes and if running aggravates it more...

Anyway...I'll post the info about the first session later.

2. Bozza Bostik

Day 1

Day one done! Go me!!!

There's a few decent places to run in and around town but I decided to go to a national park that is about 10 mins drive away. It's one of my favourite places in the area. I walked quite slowly for about 5 or so minutes then started the programme.

Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking for a duration of 20 minutes. 5 minutes cool down.

The routine takes 30 minutes but I did a much longer warm up and cool down, which I guess is good.

My ankle feels ok, no problems. My left ankle (the good one) actually felt tighter. I need to work on my mobility a little more maybe. It was quite easy but I want to stick to the programme and build up slowly. I am really sick and tired of getting injuries.

Music: Suicidal Tendencies - Join The Army. :cool:

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Try doing some soft tissue work on your ankles - a tennis ball is useful for this. :)

4. Bozza Bostik

Is that where you roll your foot on a tennis ball? Or when you roll it on your Achilles tendon area?

I've done both. I think I need a harder ball though.

5. Frodocious

I do both - try a hockey ball if you want something harder.

6. Bozza Bostik

Think I need to. The tennis ball has helped but I might need to step it up a notch. Day off work tomorrow and I need to go down the sports shop anyway, so I might see if I can get something harder while I'm there. If I ask for a hockey ball, they will look at me confused and give me a puck!

7. Frodocious

Grrrrrr! Silly foreigners! ;) :D Try a Lacrosse ball or a cricket ball?!

I tend to alternate between my tennis ball and hockey ball, because sometimes the hockey ball can leave things a wee bit tender.

8. Bozza Bostik

You think lacrosse and cricket balls would be easier to find!? :)

They have their own type of baseball here which uses a hard ball - I guess that would work. :thinking:

9. Frodocious

I'll say it again...

GRRRRRR!!! Silly foreigners! ;) :D

A baseball should work. :)

10. Bozza Bostik

Friday 10/05/2013

I decided many months ago that I would do a whole bunch of FMA drills and capoeira stuff in the house. I haven't done anything for months, but as I am doing the C25k log I might as well log the drills and capo stuff too to motivate myself.

I bought a pesäpallo (Finnish baseball) today to work on my ankle mobility. It a similar size to a tennis ball but rock 'ard! Works well, better than a tennis ball.

I was ordered to either go to the shops and buy all the food for Mother's Day or take the dog for a walk....

Runkeeper says: 3.91 km in 42:53

Straight back home and 1 min of:

• Hubud
    • Gunting practice
    • Lock & block
    • Sinawali
    • Sinawali w/ fulcrum
    • Sinawali w/ abanico
    • Abanico drill (right)
    • Abanico drill (left)
    • Cerenza - One stick, right hand
    • Cerenza - One stick, left hand
    • Cerenza - Double sticks

• Ankle mobility w/ball
    • Shoulder mobility - Tea cups (The cutest name for an exercise even)

My cerenza is really dodgy. I need to work on that. Everything was pretty bad though as I haven't done them for a while.

I'll make longer rounds in the future and have a whole bunch of drills so I can randomly pick maybe 15 exercises from.

Here's vids of the some of the stuff I am using.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKUint-oKkc"]Lock & Block[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNHnWPiTd0"]Sinawli Drills[/ame]

This guy has a whole bunch of drills for newbs like me. I need to check more of his stuff out for ideas.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bhhTMk7LJk"]Abaniko[/ame]

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Be a man. Use a bowling ball. On fire.

12. Bozza Bostik

Or a human head covered in...some...horrible thing.

Being as huge, buff and immensely strong as I am the puny tennis ball would just kinda squash under my awesome stength.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Gunting! Yay!

Mitch

14. Bozza Bostik

Sunday 12/05/2013 - Dis 'n' Dat

C25k Week 1 Session 2

I walked around a bit and then did a bit of ankle stretching and tea cups and then some pull ups on a bar that's by the car park in the forest I like to go and run in. Then on to the programme.

Same as last time.

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking for a duration of 20 minutes. 5 minutes cool down.

Music: Cro-Mags: The Age of Quarrel

The ankle feels fine. I think I am at the point in my physio/rehab where running actually helps loosen and strengthen my ankle. The session is quite easy and I am sure I'll get frustrated soon. :) But must stick to it and build up slowly.

Drillz and Skillz.

I found an interesting video by the youtube user Wmpyr so I followed that routine after some shoulder mobility.

1 min on right side then switch of:

• Roof block to umbrella block
    • Abaniko
    • Figure 8
    • Dis 'n' dat
    • 5 strikes (I forgot the Filipino term)
    • 5 strikes as an X - 1, 4, 3, 2, 5
    • Sinawali (hard and hitty)
    • Sinawali (soft and flowy)

Followed with:

• 2 mins of cerenza x 3 (only left - right shoulder is a bit stiff)

Finished up with shoulder and ankle mobility exercises.

Music: Some free sample of instrumental drums. I was gonna give Hannibal a shout and get him to come over and bang out some Slayer, but it's a long way from Canaduh and I really needed to crack on.

Note for the future: I need to work on my level changes.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You realise I'm gonna nick the layout of your log right?
    C25K and Drillz and Skillz. :)

16. Bozza Bostik

Steal away...It was your log that inspired me to get back into running & doing C25k!

17. Bozza Bostik

Sunday 19/05/2013 - Don't Sweat it, Steal it!!

C25k Week 1 Session 3

I got sick last week, so haven't ran or done any drills in the house since last weekend. Still don't feel 100% but I thought I'd see how a light run would go.

Same as last time.

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking for a duration of 20 minutes. 5 minutes cool down.

Distance: 3.69 km

Music: Joe Coffee: When the Fabric Don't Fit the Frames.

Relatively easy. So week 1 done and on to week 2. I got a new C25K app that has GPS with it, I thought it would be easier than running the old app and run keeper at the same time! But the app is annoying. The trainer's voice doesn't go that loud and the music drowns it out. I have a signal for when I am half way through the programme, but I never heard it...or it doesn't work. Oh well, maybe back to the old way!

No drillz and skillz as I was at a Pekiti-Tirsia Kali workshop for about 8 hours yesterday...my hands are all blistered and sore...stupid rattan!!!

18. Frodocious

Hope you're feeling better soon! :)

19. Bozza Bostik

Thursday 23/05/2013

C25k Week 2 Session 1

A new week on C25K. I haven't been as consistent as I would have liked because of da flu I had last week.

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a duration of 20 minutes. 5 minutes cool down.

Duration: 31 mins
    Distance: 3.92 km

Music: Gorilla Biscuits : Start Today

I have been reliving my yoof a bit recently and listening to some of the old hardcore punk bands I loved when I was young. Gorilla Biscuits are awesome - fun, positive, tuneful hardcore from NY.

Adding the extra 30 seconds to the running parts of the schedule made quite a difference. I started the run on tarmac and I could really feel it in my knees. not nice. I need to stick to soft ground.

I ordered an agility ladder the other day to help with my FMA footwork. I am kinda excited about getting it and adding some exercises to my routines.

20. Bozza Bostik

sunday 26/05/2013

C25k Week 2 Session 2

A new week on C25K. I haven't been as consistent as I would have liked because of da flu I had last week.

• Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a duration of 20 minutes. 5 minutes cool down.

Duration: 31 mins
    Distance: 3.86 km

Music: A play list of Chemical Brothers, DJ Fresh, Ice Cube, NWA and some others.

Ankle and shoulder mobility: Rolled my foot around on the baseball, stretched it out a bit. And did some stuff from DeFrancos Agile 8 and tea cups for my shoulder.

Annoying app. I can't hear the signal telling me when to walk, or it doesn't work, so I ended up running for the first 3 intervals.

I was a little slower this time, which is a bit weird considering i ran more. Maybe the road surface.

When I finish the programme I think I'll add some stair runs and hill sprints into my workout. There's a short but steep hill near where I live and some stairs too. They go further up than the the ones you can see on the photo.

[​IMG]

Haven't done any drillz and skillz as I have been so busy recently. Better make sure I do some next week.