Bruce's approximate punching speed

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by kazgeroth, Jun 14, 2003.

1. kazgeroth

kazgeroth New Member

A cinema camera has had 24 fps since around the 60's, bruce's fighting was really shotty on camera, it looked fake with him at full speed, so in order for it to look fake his speed had to be around .03 seconds a punch. That would add up to 8 in 1 second. 8 pictures in 1 second would look hell of crappy. In fact he was probably a bit faster but hey who really knows?

This is an estimation. If the fighting looked fake his speed would of had to be somewhere around there.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Oh.

Yes- it seems he was a bit quick - but don't forget (As a 1st generation Bruce Lee student told me)....

"Its not how fast it travels but how soon it gets there that counts"

3. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

nice quaote yoda.

from what i heard, he was so fast during the making of Enter the dragon that he was asked to slow down alittle. Rofl.

4. YODA

The problem is that that knowledge is useless unless we can replicate it - or get near it. Anything else is just movie groupie hero worship.

5. kazgeroth

kazgeroth New Member

Just thought you guys would be interested in his approximate speed. I've wanted to know for sometime. So I went and did some research.

6. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-Bruce, like any world class martial artist was very fast, but according to Bruce himself, there were many who were faster. What really set Bruce apart was that he was the first to incorperate non-telegraphic movements into martialarts. I know that this doesn't really relate to film speed, but I know that he's far from the only high level martial artist who had to slow down for film. IMO his use of non-tel. movements was one of his greatest technical contributions. It really surprises me how few adopt this into their training, seeing how this is not limited by genetics as speed can be.

7. kazgeroth

kazgeroth New Member

Yeah I don't throw any spin kicks, butterfly kicks or anything that takes time and tells the opponent your attacking.

I don't coch back the fist or settle into a position before i throw my punches/kicks either.

8. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

surely that would add up to 33 punches a second! 8 in one second would be 0.12 seconds a punch.

I'm sure that one of the offshoots of Shannon's law is that anything happing in less than 2 frames would appear 'odd'. A punch is made up of two movements (hit and return), so each movement would need to be under 2 frames (or 1/12 second) giving 6 punches per second at a minimum. As you say the truth is probably quicker than this, although at 12 punches a second it probably would not even look he was punching.

Therefore I agree with 8 punches a second sounding reasonable. Just disagree on the workings ;)

P.S. Not being pedantic, it's just I've waited 12 years to find a practical application of what I learned at University.

HKF

9. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

you went to university???......james ...i'm shocked!!!

10. Cain

Cain New Member

Uh oh! We got one more physicist in here :eek:

|Cain|

11. AndyD

AndyD Valued Member

8 punches per second is actually not that fast (once you understand the principals used). Around 12 punches would be more realistic.

Actually, looking fast and being fast are two different things. To appear fast you actually need to slow things down - particularly the start speed. If you increase the start speed then a single punch seems to appear at its destination - hence the actual movement was not seen and this is percieved as being slow (its only when you get in front of it that you realise the true speed of it). In the process of increasing the start speed it is necessary to eliminate muscle tension - this means the punch will take less effort to throw and on screen (or even in a demo) less effort translates as less effective.

12. YODA

So true - a good old WAAATAAAAH make anything believable by the unknowing public.

13. Jazman

Jazman New Member

yippee! I'm glad to bring physics into this, finally something I understand...

14. jejanim

jejanim New Member

i dunno...8 punches in a sec sounds a little far-fetched to me. i guess maybe if they were all his *one inch punch*, then maybe its possible. whatever the case, if anyone could do it..Bruce could. i guess i just havent seen anything close to that..EVER..so it's hard to understand.

jeja

15. slc

slc Banned Banned

8 punches per second is certainly not far-fetched! Andy, I'm a little confused, email heading your way! :)

16. Jazman

Jazman New Member

it's not that he must punch 8 times in one second, it is that one pucnch takes an 8th of a second. I would love to see 8 punches in one second...

17. kazgeroth

kazgeroth New Member

I was saying that about 8 frames from one punch, would be captured on camera dude. Not that he could throw 8 punches in one second.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  18. Jazman

Jazman New Member

just wanted to be heading where the crowd was going... :D

19. Cain

Cain New Member

Maybe 8 punches in a sec is possible, I tried throwing backfists for 15 secs continiously, they first one an entire movement the rest just elbow movement, was able to thow 55 bfs, that's 0.27 backfists/sec that's roughly 4 punches a sec, and Bruce I am damn sure was a hell of a lot faster than me, so maybe 8 punches a sec is possible.....or I could be talking absolute cr4p :woo:

|Cain|

20. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

Let's have the first MAP online tournament then. Punch for 1 minute and record your scores here.

Highest score wins .....

nothing whatsoever.