Bruce Lee chewing Cannabis.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ragnarok2005, Jan 29, 2006.

1. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

once again:

steroids kill..
    marijuana does not (if 10000 died a year from steroids, only 1 or less would die from weed... if they died from week they probably were drunk or on smack which is much worse for your health lol!)

you smoke, vaporize or eat canibus.... you shoot steroids in dudes arses... do you like man handling arses with needles? (questions to consider)

one relaxes you, reduces pain and offers entertainment... the other gives you man boobs and a useless sack (steroids).

lastly, steroids should only be used as medicine, such as those with arthritas and cancer... since it can be lethal or stupid to those not in such needs. on the same argument, if something problematic like steroids or arthritas medicine (many of them cause heart attacks), then a medicine like marijuana should be used to help them.

in psychology, there are those whom are developed enough to follow laws and then there are those whom understand laws, injustice and follow their good morals. that is why stigma shouldn't block those in need of medicine. Ask someone with MS or cancer if they'd rather try something that makes them laugh, reduce pain and even function 0.o

To follow morals when laws are injust, is often helpful in making peoples lives better. (winds of change, where have they gone?)

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Er, are you done debating with yourself? No one is disputing the fact that roids are nothing like weed.

If I was dying from cancer, I would much rather morphine than weed.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Jroe, change your thingy under your name to say

"resident marijuania advocate"

DO IT

4. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

ahahahahaaa, ioono a censorship modder on the forums (hopefully not a facist?) threatened to ban me once for talking about marijuana on the forums... thats why we usually stick it only in a few general threads rather then in threads where it isn't relavent (thats why this thread and the next were some helpful arguments):
    http://martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38120

5. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Just to add a bit to this deabte on the relavance of Bruce's Dope Use.

An issue of Martial Arts Planet from About 10 years ago (The one thatcame with a free intorductory JF/JKD book, and had a picture some overweight guy doing BAttojustu on the front), featured an extract from a Hong Kong Coroners report that stated that Bruce's Brain Adema (the thig that actually Killed him) was likely to have been caused by a hyper-allergic reaction to a some weed he was using around the time of his death. it was also postulated in the same report that it may have reacted badly with the other medication he was on.
    Weed is one of those things that usually wont do you too muicyh long term harm (although regular/overuse is linked with serious psychological probelms, which we, as martial artists already have in spades anway), but the huge variety os strains on offermean that you could be playing russian roullette with severe reactions etc...
    So it is just possible that dope actually killed bruce.

That's not to say that weed is a bad thing, I dotn really see anymoral issues with anything a persondoes to their own body, but I do think it's quite sad that such a powerful force in martial arts may have been brought down by something 12-16 year old routinely use to escape the drudgery of teenage life.

6. NaughtyKnight

Mixing any drugs are always a no no. If you are on any kind of medication, then doing anything else is probably not a good idea.

A mate of mine used ephadrine as a less damaging alternative to meth while he quit. On its own and he was fine, he said that it helped with his withdrawls.

One day he decided to have a big drink, and take his ephadrine. 15 beers and 8 pills (his usual dose). Boom, he blacked out, had a seizure, and woke up in hospital.

7. Sun_Tzu6

Sun_Tzu6 Valued Member

well I think that Bruce Lee WAS a dedicated martial artist but if you look
    at his training scheuale you won't blame him for trying to stop stress
    and about yip man BIG WHOOP nearly every chinaman or woman
    back in 1940's or early would have what do you like Bruce Lee because
    of the way he spoke or some weird way if you new him I'll take this back.

8. NaughtyKnight

You know Sun, we have Fullstops for a reason. ;)

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Thats such a vague post, and don't know whether it tells me weed is safe or not. Its this whole lack of information that I find frustrating.

You say regular overuse of weed has been linked to serious problems. Well ok that sounds bad, but serious regular overuse of alcohol/tobacco has been more than linked to death!

And Russian roullette :confused: Which strains are these damaging ones?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I think its more like:
    However, this is not a very large proportion of people. The media has really hyped this issue.

11. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Wait a second now...I haven't been around in a few days, but has this conversation actually evolved into discussing if burning a leaf and sucking the smoke into your lungs and purposely holding it in there as long as you can is safe or not?!?!

Whoa...

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Whats your point?

13. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

anyone here actually know any real asians? like 1stgeneration american or older? if so, ask if they were farmers... if so.. ask if they used it as a medicine, or to relieve stress...

in many local asian and south american countries it has been used as medicine for hundreds of years:)

14. NaughtyKnight

Marijuana has been used for thousands of years, not hundreds.

The Thracians/Dacians used to light plants of fire and breath in the smoke to invoke trances for dancing.

In Hindu religion, Shiva, told his deciples to use the hemp flower for all its purposes.

Queen Victoria used it to help her menstrual pains.

Heres a list of what weed can do.

Pain relief (especially headaches, cramps, and eye pain due to lowered intraocular pressure).
    Increased appetite, food subjectively tastes better.
    Reduced nausea, (especially from chemotherapy), though may cause or exacerbate nausea for some.
    Dilation of alveoli (air sacs) in lungs, resulting in deeper respiration.
    Increase in productive coughs
    Dilation of blood vessels (vasodilation), resulting in:
    Increased blood flow and heart rate
    Reddening of the conjunctivae (red eye)
    Lower intra-ocular pressure (beneficial to glaucoma patients).
    Lower blood pressure while standing. Higher blood pressure while sitting (note that this can lead to instances of orthostatic hypotension).
    Induces drowsiness (beneficial to sufferers of insomnia and sleep deprivation).
    Relaxation
    Reduced stress
    Mild entheogenesis

Edit: Forgot the most important part.

Cannabis cofactor compounds have also been linked to lowering body temperature, modulating immune functioning, and cell protection.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  15. NaughtyKnight

All from wiki.

Different and fewer risks than tobacco
    The process most popularly used to ingest cannabis is smoking. Tobacco smoking has well-established risks such as bronchitis, coughing, overproduction of mucus, and wheezing. Similar risks for smoking cannabis related to airway inflammation have been suggested in a study of healthy cannabis users who exhibited similar early characteristics to tobacco smoking. [22]

The effects of tobacco and cannabis smoking differ, however, as they affect different parts of the respiratory tract: whereas tobacco tends to penetrate to the smaller, peripheral passageways of the lungs, cannabis tends to concentrate on the larger, central passageways. One consequence of this is that cannabis, unlike tobacco, does not appear to cause emphysema. Also unlike tobacco, regular cannabis use does not appear to cause COPD, either. [23]

It is important to note that in some cases, a cannabis user may encounter commercial tobacco in joints (popular in Europe), added tobacco with hash in chillum (India), or cannabis rolled in tobacco leaves (seen occaisionally the U.S.), which would expose the user to the additional risks of tobacco, though nothing on the same order as regular tobacco use.

No cancer link
    A recent study [25] on a much larger population sample (about 1200), however, not only failed to establish a cancer risk, but showed a slight negative correlation between long-term cannabis use and lung cancers, suggesting a possible theraputic effect. This followed an even larger 1997 study [26] examing the records of 64,855 Kaiser patients, and concluding no correlation between cannabis use and cancer. It has been noted, separately, that THC, a dilative agent, may help clense the lungs by dilating the bronchia, and could actively reduce the instance of tumors. [27] Yet another study failed to establish a link between cannabis use and oral cancer. [28]

Although the carcinogenicity of tobacco is thought to be caused mainly by tar, it has been suggested that it could be the result of radioactive substances present in tobacco soils. This problem may not pertain to cannabis, the vast majority of which is grown in wild, organic, or hydroponic conditions.

Read all of it Here

Very intresting.

16. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

That makes sense to me.. my Jamaican “friend” who has been toking the reefer for around 5 decades is in better shape, and just as sharp as the majority of people his age that I have come across.

17. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Bob Marley was right after all...

:D