Brown belt promotion!

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by G50, Oct 2, 2006.

1. G50

G50 Night Owl

On saturday the 30th of September, I got my brown belt. I was pretty surprised that I was even able to do the testing since I severely injured my left arm on the friday before. (We are required to roll for breaking) Next is High Brown belt in December.

2. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

wow congrats and good for you

3. removal

removal Valued Member

Congrats. I just wonder out of interest of comparison what are the testing requirements in your gym for brown, red and black belts?

4. klaasb

klaasb ....

A high brown belt?

What is the difference between a normal brown belt and a high brown belt?

5. G50

G50 Night Owl

estranged13 - We have to do Kicking Combinations, one-step sparrings, forms, and breaking (all belt levels do these except with different techniques)

klaasb - The high brown belt is a brown belt with a white stripe in the middle. (there is also a high red belt)

I still have 8 belt levels left (high brown, red, high red, deputy 1, 2, 3, 4 and black)

6. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

No jointlocks, kick defenses, clothing grab defenses, chokes, ground fighting, throws, jointlock reversals, etc. This sounds more like a TKD testing to me.

7. G50

G50 Night Owl

At my school, TKD and HKD techniques are completely different. In the HKD classes we are learning falls, (front, back, both sides) front/back rolls, a lot of joint locks, take downs, anything you can think of..... The kicking combinations combine techniques used in HKD only, as if we are actually defending someone's attacks. (it doesn't use anything from TKD) In the one-step sparring we defend from 100's of different attacks.In forms we start out doing the basic HKD techniques (rolls, etc..., White-orange) all of the other forms are breathing forms. The only thing that uses TKD techniques is breaking (the only difference is that we roll first)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  8. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

That makes more sense. When you said one-steps I was kind of confused because I don't normally associate that with HKD. So would a wrist grab defense be considered a one-step. I meant no offense by my comment it just seemed like the description of your testing was a run of the mill TKD test.

Hapkido and Taekwondo share many of the same techniques (depending on what type of TKD and HKD you are doing). Especially when it comes to striking, punching and kicking. So, when you say that you can only do Hapkido specific techniques does that mean you are not allowed to punch because that is a Taekwondo technique?

Why do a roll when breaking?

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Congrats Gaylen50, your'e school sounds similar to mine. Except we have no one steps. We heavily focus on perfection of technique and using that technique. We also have kicking combos, forms, and breaking.

10. removal

removal Valued Member

Just wonder if you could be more specific about what kicking combos etc you do at the higher color belt testing. Thanks.