Broken Wrist

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by ShadowHawk, Aug 10, 2013.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

After 3 months I have no kind of support on my broken wrist(s)

How long does it usually take to get flexibility back in them normally? It used to hurt to make a fist as well , now I can do it easier but its not healed since I still feel something when I make a fist.

What can help speed up recovery? Flexing it only? Or running a lot and do leg excersizes to get my testosterone flowing more.

Thanks to all

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Whatever the physical therapist tells you will help it heal quicker.

Serious injuries take years to heal and feel 'normal' again man, if they ever get back to normal again. I tore my MCL in my right knee when I was 16 or 17 and it took a good 3 years for it to feel normal, and that's a super young person who heals up in a day. It just takes time. Frustrating but you don't have much of a choice but to deal with it.

3. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

I broke my wrists when I was 11 and I ended up going to physiotherapy for 6 months and just as they were starting to get back to full strength and movement I broke one of my wrists again lol :bang:. Although the plus side is my wrists/forearms now have a lot more play in them than they should.

Once they got to back to a semi decent state through massage work etc I was put onto a light gym routine to help strengthen them but sadly I no longer remember what the routine was.

The best thing I can probably suggest is to consult a physio and see if they can help you, apart from that probably doing very light wrist excercises is the only other thing I can think of, I hope your recovery goes well.

4. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^Thanks

What I meant in the original question was, what is causing the stiffness if the bone has welded itself back together?

My therapist told me to do stretch excersizes

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Do as much stretching as you can. Anytime you think about it, stretch. Been there & it takes a long time to feel right.

My sympathies.

6. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

Did they put a metal pin into your arm when they fixed the break? Maybe it's that causing the stiffness? If you're unlucky like me you might have early stages of arthritis, sometimes my wrist gets stiff and aches for hours and nothing I do relieves the pain.

7. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I would suggest that you get a grip ball or some power putty to work with.. it will strengthen your hand while working the whole arm's muscles.. I have arthritis in my hands and use it to keep them mobile..

8. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

+1.

During a sword disarm, my sensei almost broke my left index finger. And by 'almost' I mean that it didn't snap but it was within a hair of doing so.My tendons were damaged as well. It hurt like hell for months, and took a further year and a half before the pain totally went away. I could use it, but any sideways force would make my finger feel like it would break.

As soon as bones / tendons are involved, full recovery is measured in months and years. It's why professional athletes need a personal therapist and why their bodies are completely broken by the time they hit the ripe old age of 30. They recover just enough to get going again with continuous therapy, rather than let their injuries heal properly.

9. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Yeah I had a pin through each forearm . I am healing for sure, just really slowly. Just wanted to know if it was maybe the muscles stiff from being in the cast not used for months.

10. righty

righty Valued Member

Sorry I missed this before, but stretch and do your exercises!

The stiffness is not caused by the bone itself, that will have healed by now. It will be due to a combination of being stuck in a cast with no movement for a period of time, so your ligaments will have lost some of their flexibility. Because you had surgery you will also have additional scar tissue from the incision and with things being moved around in there.

Do you have a specific therapist for this injury? I know you had quite a few injuries at the same time. A specific hand/wrist person might be able to give you more targeted advice compared to "just do some stretches" e.g. specific stretches and other exercises.

Probably something similar to this...
    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...STguDg62iYaAshAc6uDHY2A&bvm=bv.52434380,d.dGI

Also keep in mind that every injury is different. I broke my wrist earlier this year and while I am back to most training I am still very careful and avoid any kind of pressure on the wrist as it still hurts when targeted this way. I have manged to get the majority of movement and flexibility back but I'm not back to where I was and probably never will be to be honest.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

When a joint has been immobilised for a long period of time, it gets stiff. When I broke my collar bone when I was 14, My arm was in a collar and cuff for 6 weeks. When I finally took it off, I couldn't straighten my elbow at all and it felt like it would snap if I forced it. It took weeks of rehab, but slowly, the movement returned.

12. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I think doing some exercise would be good like you say get the testosterone flowing.

13. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^Yeah I have been working out everyday pretty much again. Only my right wrist is still stiff,my left is very close to being healed.

I stretch them using dumbells, and once the weight stops hurting (after a few days to a week) I up the weight on the dumbell.

Thanks guys