Broken Bokken

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Roga, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Roga

Roga Wanderer

Well not fully broken but I wnat to see if I can fix this. My Foam Bokken has a crack in the back of it and the peice is slightly loose. The foam over it is cut too. I personally think it is still good to work with as long as I don't hit anything anymore.

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

If it's loose, replace it. The shift in weight may otherwise throw off your technique. If you aren't planning on hitting anything anyway, you may as well train with a real bokken instead.

3. Roga

Roga Wanderer

it's only a piece that is slightly loose not bad enough to replace. It's like a tooth loose enough to wiggle around but would take considerable force to remove (It still no weight change). I don't get the choice in the next bokken I get or even if I get it. Would glue work on the wood?

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

You don't get a choice? Surely you can buy your own bokken? A wooden one will only set you back a few dollars, unless they're inexplicably more expensive over in America than here ;)

I'd say that the simple rule is not to use a damaged weapon. It's quite a significant risk to yourself and anyone around you.

5. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

You want to know what you need for a broken bokken?

It's called a bin!

Damaged weapons are dangerous to work with.

6. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

If you don't want to spring for a new one, and they tend to run about $10 in the US, at least where I am, you can try super-gluing the wood back together, and then putting a few nails in to secure it. You can put masking tape over the foam part.

7. kom sun

kom sun New Member

hi Roga. i think you should look into getting a new bokken preferably a wood one. because if the one you have now is chipped or cracked it becomes unsafe. try www.misogi.com.au they have some nice bokken, and jo aswell.

8. Chushingura

Chushingura New Member

I have seen a bokken crack and fly everywhere just because it had the smallest crack/damage running up from the Tsuba, I would not risk it and you wont be popular when classmates have to spend the lesson picking up bits of wood rather than train. misogi do great bokkens and know what they are talking about. Save the heart ache and retire the old fellow ;-)

9. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

my best advice, buy a carbon graphite bokken

more expensive but they last a long time

10. prez

prez New Member

Shantari,

Where does on find a carbon graphite bokken? I've been looking.

11. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Hi Prez I suggest you start a new thread to ask your question.

This thread is nearly a decade old and I think that Shantari is no longer an active member here since their last post was in 2008, evidentally left on bad terms too.

12. prez

prez New Member

Thanks

Thanks. I'll try that.

13. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Nooooo! It goes onto the Wall of Fame! :)

14. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

I know how it goes to have to part with a favorite Mok gum, sorry guys.....bokken. I am a practitioner of Koryo Gumdo so our terminology is a bit different. But back on point.... Retire the broken and splintered and get a new one.

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I vote for "get a new bokken" as well. Wood or graphite. No foam! :) Good luck with your sword practice. I'm learning bokken (and iaido) as well.