Brock Lesnar

Discussion in 'MMA' started by old palden, Aug 11, 2008.

1. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

I agree and wonder why this has not been corrected. I am not saying only quick snappy punches are correct one but it helps. He just needs a few small changes to developing the correct punching appraoch, which just has me wondering why he has not got him some type of striking trainer that could fix his issue.

Owe, he strikes just about the same in the fight with Herring as he did with Mir.

2. old palden

old palden Valued Member

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but somehow it seems relevant.
    And (bonus) as much as I love being right, I love it even more when Kwan Jang is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008
  3. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

It is definitely a relevant! I'll eat crow. I picked Couture to win it based on experience. :)

But I'd also like to point out I said Lesnar is a huge threat in the Heavy Weight division. I've never seen the guy connect and not drop the guy.

It will be interesting to see him against Mir or Nog. Submissions are still his weakness. He was killing Mir before that submission. As a matter of fact I thought he got a raw deal from the ref. But Nog is a definite threat. That guy can take a serious beating and then pull a submission from nowhere!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008
  4. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I'd rather have an old thread resurected than a new one started.

Although remember, folks, use spoiler tags until 24 hours after the event. That includes any post that implies the match results as well. Thanks.

5. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

alot of times its easyer said then done....in fact i have been boxing and mt for years

can remember watching tape of my first 5 fights and still seeing my self arm punch or some other mechanical flaw....yeah i knew better but sometimes you get so excited you just kinda lose your mind.

ther is a good chance in training he is throwing them right...hes just such a rookie he hasent put them to muscle memory yet... i would hate to hold pads for him if he is doing it right

6. kokuToraRyu

kokuToraRyu Valued Member

Now he's the UFC heavyweight World Champion by ground and pound

Who says wrestling is all pretent (well some of it is)

Seriously, I watched the fight and it was close but Brock fought well to win the fight and the championship, my hat comes off to him and my comiserations to Randy

7. path_one

path_one steps taken

nightmares

I saw a bad dream, Randy lost the title!

It was just a bad dream right, Randy didn't lose, he's going to beat Nog AND Fedor then retire right?:(

8. mafoota

mafoota Skidoosh

Four mma fights and he's UFC world champ? What a joke. Lesnar's not bad but he got lucky, anyone has a puncher's chance especially at heavyweight.
    If he was fighting the calibre of guys that were competing 4 or 5 years ago he wouldn't stand a chance. It's just a shame that the heavyweight division is so weak that a fighter like this could be top of the tree.

9. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Guys competing 4 or 5 years ago.

You mean guys like.... let's see.... Randy Couture?

10. mafoota

mafoota Skidoosh

Couture wasn't in that weight division then.

11. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Old Palden,
    In response to your "kind" comment; if you will re-read my post, you will find that I wasn't wrong. I said that if Randy was controlling the setpoint as he had in his last two fights, he would dominate Lesnar and make him look bad. The problem is that Randy did not control the setpoint, he had virtually no lateral movement in the stand up in this fight and got clipped by a bigger, stronger fighter. I will freely admit that this wasn't just a fluke as the fight looked fairly even until Lesnar caught Couture. Still, this was not Randy at his best, and I have serious doubts if he could beat Randy's best. The question comes to mind that after his extended layoff and at his age, can Randy recapture his best at his point.

Though Lesnar did look much better in this fight than he did against Mir, I still think he has a long way to go to being a truly great fighter. He does have the base and potential to build a great fighter from, but it's not there yet. He's still relying on his size and strength and as someone who is nearly his size and considerably stronger than he is, I am not that impressed by that. I did see his fight with Herring after my earlier posts and was impressed by how well he controlled the setpoint and positioning in that fight by using his considerable wrestling skills though.

12. old palden

old palden Valued Member

I did re-read your post, and to remind you of what you actually said, framed it in quotes here. "With certainity (sic) that if Randy works to control the setpoint..." So I guess he just didn't work at it, is that it?

Of course you were right, you're never wrong, I mean with the 150 IQ, how could you be? And your perspective on the angles of the fight that you weren't bragging about but that the rest of us don't have, I mean with that perspective how could you have been wrong? And of course you're considerably stronger than Lesnar, I mean, you're saying so on the internet so we can all take that to the bank right?

I mean, all he's done is win the UFC heavyweight title, and you have how many UFC wins? Well never mind that. Yeah, and the fact that Lesnar was the NCAA wrestling champ, I mean you could have won that too right? But you were probably sick that day. And the millions he made in the WWE? You've got more money than him right? And the fact that he outperformed Mario Williams at the NFL combine, and came within a hair's breadth of making the Minnesota Vikings without even playing college ball, I mean that's just size, strength and athleticism right? Nothing impressive about that.

13. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

It's rude to "hate" just because I'm mentally and physically superior to you. LOL. You may be falling all over yourself over Lesnar, but I am still not impressed by his skill set other than his wrestling. I have already given him the proper credit for his impressive skill in this area.

14. old palden

old palden Valued Member

:rolleyes:
    Whatever dude. :rolleyes:

15. callsignfuzzy

Boys, debating points is fine. In fact it's the point of a forum. Don't make this personal.

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

isnt being humble and never assuming yourself superior meant to be a sign of a good martial artist?

17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

No.

18. callsignfuzzy

Nope. It's the sign of a nice guy, but has nothing to do with someone's level of skill or knowledge.

19. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Besides, it was my sarcasm rather than arrogance in response to his snide and sarcastic remarks. I agree though that we both need to keep it civil and not personal, but I wanted to clarify that. Now, I'll go back to being a good boy.

20. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter