Brock Lesnar

Discussion in 'MMA' started by old palden, Aug 11, 2008.

1. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Randy for the win. Think this will be a real test for Brock but if he manages to dominate again he really will have silenced his critics.

One thing I do hope is that Brock actually manages to be respectful to his opponent in this fight. Randy's has one of the best attitudes in the sport so it would be a shame if Brock tries to bring smack talk into it. Judging from the interview where he completely dismissed Fedor he really does come across as a bit of an arrogant git.

2. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

If Lesnar ever got in a match with Fedor, Fedor would be the one dismissing Lesnar...likely in less than a minute.

3. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

Here's hoping Randy leaves Lesnar stunned as to what just hit him. So we can move this along and get a decent fight of Big Nog vs Randy.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

well his pre-fight interviews against herring wern't as full of smack talk as his Mir fight so I think he might be starting to give fighters their respect. but he just came of a surprising and pretty impressive win, so he might not.

5. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I don't think you can put too much stock in their pre-fight interviews. Their job is to hype the fight and sell tickets to bring in the money. Kind of like when all the hollywood types go on talk shows when they have a movie coming out.

Naturally Brock is going to talk some smack so we all get ****ed off and pay up to 'see the smug smile get wiped off his face'.

Just part of the business. I do think, however, that Fedor is a bad matchup for someone like Brock. I think Fedor would submit him.

6. CKava

It's not just the pre-fight smack talk that makes Lesnar come across badly. It's taunting an opponent after you beat them, grabbing the mic during an interview to shout 'Look at me! Do you see me now!' and then telling everyone to shut up about Fedor and focus on you that does it.

7. SmilingBear

SmilingBear Valued Member

Yup, the Herring post fight shennanigans were disgusting. But he was brought in to bring some spark back to the HW division. I think he and Dana are still fine tuning the level of smack they want from him. Eventually he'll split the difference between his respectful collegiate mode and the WWE hype monster mode. If he can back it up fans will chuckle along with him, if he can't he'll get panned just like Tito did when his antics outlasted his ability.

8. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

Hmm Tito Ortiz+ 60 pounds, yeah I think that's a good assessment of Lesnar. A skilled wrestler and decent brawler with far more physical ability than discipline and skill. He's still really dangerous, but whether or not he can maintain that level of threat is another question entirely.

9. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

If you said Brock Lesnar was without skill or discipline you'd be in error on both counts.

10. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

I don't think he's without skill or talent in MMA, he's an excellent wrestler, just that his skills are second priority to his size and physical ability. Heavyweights like Nogueria rely just as much on their training as their physical attributes. Whether or not Coture's skill and experience can counter Lesnar's physical superiority is what remains to be seen.

11. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Randy to win. Mainly becase he is a smart fighter! Lesnar has huge hole in his game when he goes for a takedown he leans into much, he also does not close of the opponents upper body off.

These are just some small ones. The big one of leaving himself open on the punches is like his worst thing. Anyone with a good standup will hit Lesnar on his extension and on his return. The ones that know how to ride the jab will kill Lesnar!

12. old palden

old palden Valued Member

All respect to Randy Couture, one of the greats.

That being said, he's 45 yrs. old. I know he's already extended his career long past the age where most fighters quit, but 45 is ancient for a fighter.

Added to that, he's been trying to quit the fight game now for more than two and a half years (I know he's fought more recently than that, but he's retired and then come back, then he feuded with Dana White and quit again, my point is that he's been headed for the exit for a while.) He's acted in a couple of movies, written a book, started a clothing line, etc. etc. In other words, he's been focused on life after fighting.

Sadly, like a lot of athletes, his ego won't let him believe the information his body's giving him.

Lesnar (who is a MONSTER) will have 40 or 50 pounds on him, and something to prove. For some reason, all I can think about is the way Joe Theisman's career ended... totally different sport I know, but....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  13. CKava

In fairness while you may be right about Randy quitting he clearly really wants to fight Fedor before he quits so I don't think he's completely moved past the fight game.

He's also fought incredibly impressively in his most recent fights so I definitely wouldn't count him out.

14. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

I don't think he dismissed him per se - the interview was supposed to be about the Couture vs Lesnar fight, and all the reporters were asking about was Fedor, so I can see how he might get a little annoyed.

Nevertheless, they really should have taken care of the interim title issue first, let Lesnar get even more settled in teh UFC, and then set up this circus match.

15. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

That's a terrible excuse. How was that kneebar not set up? I SAW it being set up and it was done beautifully. The NCAA has nothing to do with it.

But Lesnar's one loss is written off as nothing more than a mistake one his part? If you're not willing to give his opponent credit for the one loss, what would make you do so in the future?

I'm tempted to do that anyway, but I'd rather be polite. Regardless, your permission will have nothing to do with it either way.

16. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Okay, now that I know what your idea of polite is...

It's easy to criticize those who make definitive statements, be they bold or be they stupid. Like I said, I think Lesnar will dominate the UFC heavyweight division for the next few years. I predict that he'll beat Couture in November.

Good Day, sir.

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

ill have to see how he is on his back before i believe he'll dominate 100% but i agree for the most part. once he gets his finishing skills up i think he'll deliver some great knockouts.

18. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

I have not seen Lesnar's fight with Herring, so I am just going off the fight with Mir (or to be brutally honest, the "ghost of Mir"), but I saw very little that impressed me. If Randy is able to control the setpoint like he has in his last few fights, he will pwn Lesnar. Lesnar's striking in the Mir fight was poor (and that is being charitable) and he lacked any submissiion skills. He is a very skilled wrestler, but unless he develops a more well rounded skill set, he is going to be eaten alive by the better technicians out there. It seems like he is just relying on his wrestling to gain him superior positioning (this part is all good and smart), and merely relying on his size and strength to do the rest.

I have a perspective of the angles of this fight that most of you lack. This is not bragging, it's just a true statement. I am nearly the size that Lesnar fights at and am considerably stronger than he is (I've looked up his all-time best lifts. These are usually exergerated in press releases and on the internet and my lifts are still over 100 lbs. above his reputed personal bests). I am also a really good technician first and foremost and work very hard on setpoint control. Based on that, I can tell you with certainity that if Randy works to control the setpoint, he can make Lesnar look really bad on Randy's way to victory.

I won't go so far as to say that Lesnar has no chance because there are so many factors in a MMA match, but Lesnar is just not on the level to beat Couture's best based on Randy's last few fights. I could see a win for Lesnar if Randy makes a huge mistake (unlikely, but possible) or if at his age (I'm nearly Randy's age and my injuries are why I'm typing here rather than playing myself) Randy comes in damaged.

19. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I also think Randy is going to win it...

But I'm surprised you weren't impressed with Lesnar in the Mir fight. Mir set up that kneebar beautifully, but Lesnar was incredibly fast for a big man. And he took down/knocked down Mir with ease.

I still think Couture takes it on experience, but I think Lesnar is a huge threat.

20. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Most guys who are at Lesnar's strength level or above have similar speed and explosiveness. Power on that level requires the develpoment of the fast twitch fibers to a very high level, though some guys will mess it up by having their body proportions and natural strength curve thrown out of wack by improper training. Obviously most lack the fighting skill to do much with the speed, power and athletic ability. My thing with Lesnar's punching is that he is just a big, strong guy who is throwing sloppy "arm punches" and relying on his superior physical traits. If he develops real striking skills and uses a "kinetic chain" in his strikes, then he could be something.

Until then, I am not any more impressed by his punching than you probably would be with a guy a little taller and heavier than you who is weaker and who is a sloppy puncher. It goes without saying that his wrestling skills are top rate since he's a former NCAA national champion, but without submission skills to back it up, I see him as lacking until he improves his skill set. If you take any national level wrestler with their work ethic and athletic base, I believe you have a fantastic foundation for creating a great fighter. You just need to teach them how to fight is all.