bridging the gap part 2

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by beknar, Oct 18, 2007.

1. beknar

beknar Valued Member

I've thought about how to bridge that gap. Which gap are we talking about, or does it even matter? Beyond kicking range? Punching range? Three cases where it would also differ that I can think of: one advancing/one retreating, one advancing/one staying still, one advancing/one advancing. The advance/retreat case can be further broken down into advance straight/retreat straight, advance straight/retreat at an angle, advance at an angle/retreat straight, etc. The others can be broken down as well.

I think this matters somewhat, mainly due to the interruption of combinations by a target who did not move in the way you expected him to and freezing during that moment when you realize that the plan's gone to hell and back and figuring out what the heck to do now? Is there really a freeze at that point or is there a natural plan B that comes to mind? Once the gap is bridged, even if the plan fails, are you at an advantageous situation? Is it an escape situation? At this point, I'm stuck and I'm left with trying to determine what to do, and then I start to get hit at close range, probably by some Wing Chun guy or SPM player, and instinctually, I start heading towards clinch range, just to stop the pain.

Before that though, there are visual clues as to which combination of movements is happening between you and your opponent. How to drill this, though? My school has some marching drills, but we're usually bridged at the ankles. The one drill that was helpful was havingt the pad holder advance towards you while you go backwards and having him retreat while you advance while punching. But, this doesn't cover any of the other cases and I have to have a partner hold the focus mitts, which means I can't do it myself. Anything else for drilling available for this other than full on sparring?

2. JPC

JPC New Member

Adapting to a changing situation is going to be hard to train outside of contact sparring.

What you can do on your own is drill footwork. Shadow boxing is good, as is heavy bag work where you focus on quick movements between ranges as you strike the bag. I.e, start outside of kick range and then do a quick shuffle and side kick. Then stay in that range and work some of your closer range kicks (front kick, crescents, etc). Then shuffle in for a jab cross hook combo, then back to front kick range, then shuffle back and side kick, etc.

You can also do the keypad drill.

7|8|9
    4|5|6
    1|2|3

Your start position is 5. You practice the footwork for moving to each position. For example, you want to move to 8 thats a shuffle forward, 2 a shuffle back, 6 step out as you twist your facing back to look at 5.

Visualize this with both attacks and defenses. For example, you go to 6. Imagine an attacker punching so you step out and rotate your hips adding an inside->outside block as you twist.

Or move from 5 to 2 with a low block to deflect an incoming front kick, etc.

The key to the drill is focusing on your footwork and body position as you move.

Mix it up by having a partner call out different numbers and you have to transition seamlessly to each.

But, as with most drills, they will give you the muscle memory of the activity but contact sparring will be needed to incorporate it fully.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  3. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Wow! That's awesome! I'll give it a shot, thanks!

While I love sparring, I like to do the drills so I can incorporate the muscle memory (as you said) so that I can actually use it during matches. Thanks again!

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

When bridging the gap, whether attacking along the low or high line, you will probably have better success if you attack along the horizontal plain. Conversely, attacking along a 45 degree plain (e.g. rising or lowering while moving in) is perceived quicker as a threat and this will give your opponents more of an early warning that you are attacking.

Also learn to keep the hips back slightly and even crouch as a lower profile is like a panther ready to strike and can cause your opponents to be more cautious as you do not show yourself to be "open." Conversely, if you take a high posture, you will leave opening for attack... done well this can draw the opponent towards you to attack... done wrong and you get nailed.

Just some thoughts.

5. KMA

KMA Valued Member

My instructor had us train for what he referred to as a gaseous state. Our opponent chooses where to stand, how and what they will use to attack and if multiple strikes will be involved. The opponent will also try stop you from performing any techniques, yes similar to sparring, but the instructor will stop often and ask why not use this motion instead, or why did that not work?

It took me quite a while get used to this, but it helps me with a understanding of graphing. The gaseous state he referred to is when you combine techniques using bits and pieces of multiple techniques. As you already know techniques are just motions to help us breakdown a defense. We utilize these motions to tailor a defense to our current situation. It's amazing to see how the muscle memory of techniques help to remember checking and canceling out our opponent's weapons. We may start with one technique in mind, but end up using part of other techniques.

I hope this helps. I am sure you will come up with even better ways to train for bridging the gap. If so please keep me posted.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I have two pieces of advice for you. They are both very simple.

1. "Jab" your way in. I know you have a front hand straight punch. Move straight in and throw that "jab" and coordinate it with your footwork. Use it to set something else up as soon as you are in range. I like to use a few straight attacks to set up something bit and round (I.E. a hook-type punch).

2. Reach for the bridge. This kind of thing probably doesn't fit into the CLF mindset, but when someone puts their hands out, reach for the bridge and use it to stick and feel, and pull yourself or them into range. Grab, hook, or just hit their hand (this would probably fit into CLF). Try attacking the arm. Get a rhythm going. Stand back and pat the hand once, twice, then take a swing at it (have you been doing Da Sam Sing? :D). Knock it out of the way, or damage it, but make sure to keep an eye on it. Try to use that to get in range and start pounding face :D.

7. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Good comments all round.
    I like the stepping drill JPC. I might have to try that one out. Thanks for sharing.

Footwork is key for one to evade and strike. CLF has many angles of attack and once you get past your opponents defence you can inflict lots of damage.
    I like the idea of limb destruction(yohan? ;) ). Sam sing training can have it's benefit for sure.
    Pepper some jabs in and lead your opponent to cross your bridge, by keeping your footwork lively and working in an out. Let them commit and then demolish them.

Conditioning the legs can have an extreme effect on an opponent if they are not used to banging legs.
    Do you guys do Chi gerk exercises or leg contact drills?

When closing in, a good strong step inside with bone meeting bone can be a painful surprise if one hasn't felt it before. I should know my sihings have demonstrated many times on me to my detriment. :D

8. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

what was said in the second paragraph, when we spar in class we encouraged to use grabs different types of grabs to bring people onto us, the other guy has to try and stop us doing that by stepping in and attacking and using his strength to counter our attack, and definitely attack those bits of the body in the way hurting arms is a winner!

9. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

Keeping with the theme of beknars 'bridging the gap'.

Im having trouble in sparring with bridging the aforementioned gap. I have a long reach with both arms and legs but my opponent(s) always seems to stay just outside of reach and then somehow bridge the gap to me first! Im pretty good on defensive so thats not too much of a problem. the problem is me attacking first, just cant seem to get it.

Can anyone give tips on bridging the gap quickly? Any applications are welcome.

Thanks

C60

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I prefer hooking with soft bridges myself, but that's partially because it's the main focus of my training ATM.

11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I think there are some great ideas in this thread. I already posted the technical details of closing the gap, attacking along the horizontal pipe rather than a vertical pipe.

Principle wise it comes down to timing and perception. Most of the ideas here apply to closing from punching and kicking to clinching range... that is good but look at MMA bouts, they stay well away. Even in point sparring, they stay outside of kicking range and when you move in they move away or off at angles to counter.

So to spell this out as best I can... you have to remove their perception of threat. In other words, get them to think they are safe and then they will not react quickly and you can bridge the gap.

Telegraphing and vertical movements from a distance send early warnings to the opponent to be defensive. Anything you can do to mix up their signals and get them not to realize there is a real threat until it is too late is the stuff that will help you bridge the gap. IMHO.

12. JPC

JPC New Member

That's the basis of feinting. You have to screw up their perception of what you are doing. If every time your shoulder raises they know a jab is coming you will never hit them with the jab. However, if you roll your shoulder, or recoil your front hand from time to time without throwing the technique it will make it very hard for your opponent because he can't learn your tells.

With feints though, you have to add it in to your footwork as well. If you are advancing or circling in a predictable pattern your opponent can easily keep range. If you feint with your movements and screw up their timing you can bridge the gap when their footwork fails them. If they think you are about to circle and close and circle the other way when your true move is a pure move forward then you have successfully bridged the gap to a better striking range.

This is just very hard to train without a partner. All you can really do is make sure your footwork is flawless then try to screw theirs up in sparring.

Watch pro boxers for a good example of this.

Footwork really is the key to being a good striker.

13. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

you and me are on the same page :love:

One thing you can work on when alone is practice attacking along a horizontal pipe. What this means is that you can move up and down but do not move up and down while moving forward to bridge the gap.

The most effective shoots, jabs, etc. move parallel to the ground... IME.

14. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

just thought of something else you could try, when the guy on the pads comes forward at you don't go backwards attack him, or move sideways and attack maybe he will move the pads or get hit :)