Brian Philcox - FEKO Chairman

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Melanie, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hi all

Have you heard about Brian? He's the man found with his two children in Wales yesterday in the Jeep - Its been said that they were all found dead after carbon monoxide poisening.

http://www.powwowsportz.co.uk/pdfs/CV Brian Philcox.pdf
    CV of Brian Philcox

Taken from: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&sa=G
    Brian Philcox jumped on the “let’s blame Halafihi” bandwagon and said that the board had been misled by Nick. Brian continued, he (Philcox) had volunteered for redundancy based on Halafihi’s counsel, to save the corporation money, and had been personally significantly out of pocket (and out of work) as a result.

It seems Brian had been dealing with a lot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7457077.stm
    The news story relating to his death

2. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

I think it's terrible that a man who rose to be a 6th Dan with 30 years of training ended up being so emotionally, spritually, and mentally weak that he had to take his children into the afterlife with him for fear of being alone. A sad indictment of his training indeed.

3. AkaNakama

AkaNakama New Member

I don't agree with what he did, but as a parent who has gone through that it is easy to hit a depression low, and to understand his mental state who have to have kids and suffer the threat of the loss of access. And no disrespect but martial arts training it does not prepare you for that kind of emotional issue, family loss from whatever cause has never been on anybodies syllabus, it is sad but we are not the people to critise something that we do not know the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth to his istuation

4. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

Actually yes; I will criticise what he did and knowing the whole situation is irrelevant. What you have is a man who thru his own weakness took the coward's way out and worse, took his innocent children with him. He may have been suffering from a mental illness; I get that. That doesn't change or excuse what he did.

More to my orginal point though, was that after a lifetime of training in a martial art who's primary purpose is character development, at the moment of truth he still fell short. Let's face it: he trained in shorinji kempo a modern martial art where the primary purpose of training is developing better people. That is the number 1 goal of the training; not learning how to fight. Producing genuine fighting ability became secondary when Japanese arts transformed from "jitsu" to "do". In fact, the World Shorinji Kempo Organization lists the main aims of training as "Healthy Body, Healthy Mind, & Self Defense" in that order. Yet after a lifetime of training and attaining a 6th Dan ranking, Brian still took his own life and the lives of his children. It's tragic on so many levels: tragic that his children will never grow up, tragic that his own life was cut short and tragic that at the moment it counted the most his training failed him. That's my point. The man spent 30 years studying something designed to build a stong, healthy mind and ended up succumbing to either cowardice or mental illness. And no one around him noticed either his character flaw or his illness. What kind of statement does that make about his training and his school? Tragic; just tragic. My heart goes out to his family.