breathing, white crane, aikido?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by God, Dec 13, 2003.

1. God

God New Member

i have a book on aikido that (in addition to the instructor at my school) commands me to breathe in through my nose slowly, deeply, slightly constrictedly, and out through my mouth fully and quickly (but not forced) in order to maximize the oxygen intake...nothing said about ki.

of course, i found out that in shouting white crane, different ratios and breathing patterns and such are used to do various things with your qi.

can someone explain to me why there are 2 very different ideas on breathing?

2. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

It's not that there are two different idea's on breathing. You are looking at many different methods within various systems that reach similar destinations by different roads. All roads lead to Rome but then again Rome isn't all things to all people either.

There are so many approaches to meditation let alone the breathing techniques which underpin them and not all have the same goal; it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

The answer is pretty simple. If you oxygenate the body, you also maximize energy in blood flow to muscles and thus trigger a series of responses which lead to higher efficiency and greater explosiveness of power and strength. Add to this an adrenaline dump and you have your bodies natural steroid.

It is well known that various sounds harnessed to breath are utilized, not only in martial arts but in healing also in order to release energy, or emit energy. In the Aikido case, maximizing oxygen intake, you see athletes doing this as they prepare to take a dive or when they get ready for high jump, long jump or sprinting in the Olympics.

We generally see several things occuring.

1. The ordering of breath is used in order to focus the mind and intent on the task at hand.

2. The ordering of breath is used to calm the body and deal with adrenalisation which can lead to tiredness and fatigue before you've even done anything.

3. An adrenaline dump not dealt with can leave a person useless and unable to perform basic motor functions.

4. The ordering of the breath is used to
    oxygenate the body and muscles which are about to be used in the service of whatever task is before us.

5. The ordering of the breath and use of sounds can be used to release nervous tension and energy and focus the mind on preparing for a task at hand. Visualisation is another area where the breath is positively harnessed for combat, healing or anything you desire.

6. The ordering of the breath with sounds is a means of making a very real connection between the spirit and matter. It serves as a lynch pin or a nexus point for internal energy or Qi and the physical energies or shen (spirit) to combine with your jing.

So basically you may have two different methods aimed at achieving different things but all come under the one umbrella of breath work and the harnessing, controlling, emitting, releasing, expressing of energy.

Best, Syd

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  3. God

God New Member

yeah i think i'm beginning to understand...

i don't know why it was so troublesome to just realize they were different techniques?

i guess all this qi business is going to my head.