breaking techniques

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by marais, Jan 6, 2004.

1. marais

marais New Member

i would like to know how you other ma practitioners view power destruction(e.g.breaking bricks,wood,concrete ect...).i consider it rather usefull as a conditioning tool and also for confidence.what you okes think

2. Tireces

Tireces New Member

I think the physics of hitting a person and breaking objects in that situation are extremely different. But hey, if you want to be able to bust a through things with your fists, go right ahead.

3. marais

marais New Member

thanx, i try to.but kinda stuck on the concrete wall at the moment.it just doesnt want to budge

4. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

I agree with Tireces, unless your attacker is stiff as a board and brittle like a dry stick.

Breaking, I think, is a good display of focus, not very practical though.

5. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

Yeah, concrete tends to be like that....:D

6. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

The one thing breaking is good for is teaching you to have good point control with your technique. If, for instance, you have a really powerful front pushing kick, but you are unable to aim it in such a way that the ball of your foot is the striking point, the only thing you're going to break are your toes.

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I think it helps focus and confidence. It doesn't tho, have much use in the real world.

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I don't practice it, but it's required at testing, to see if you have proper focus, technique, and confidence. Power and speed aren't really factors when it's just a 1" pine board.

PL

10. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

There are very few times that you will run into a time when you hit someoen like you would break a board. It has it's uses, if you can't break a board with your technique then something is wrong. It's a good thing to test your technique on.

11. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

i think board breaking is helpful cuz you can practice your technique on it and you can see if your strong on the technique

teryan has a great point!