Breakfalling on uneven surfaces...

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by surgingshark, Jan 6, 2005.

1. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

I won't get to ask my sensei this question until I get back on the 12th, but I was curious...how does one breakfall on an uneven surface or sloping surface?

...or, say, a flight of stairs?

Is there a way to breakfall during these instances, or do I have to rely on "Insurance-kemi?"

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

There are two approaches that I've come across and one that I've instinctively used...

1) Roll - minimum contact with the surface.
    2) Spread - maximum contact with the surface.

Some years ago I was at the top of a flight of stairs in my home wearing no shoes only socks, the socks slipped and I went thud, thud, thud, thud....

I tried initially to grab a bannister but that didn't work, so I tucked my head in but relaxed the rest of my body so I slid down the stairs - on my back - at the bottom I was winded and a little bruised but no serious damage.

The trick is in the word RELAX - that allows more contact, more spreading of the pressure so less chance of injury.

That's my experience and I'll be interested in other opinions.

Obviously ALL breakfall practice is potentially dangerous so be careful.

All the best.

Robert.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Take calculus. When you take the derivitive of any given point on an uneven surfice, you turn it into an even one!

PL

4. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I fell down a flight of about 15 steps in a nightclub last year and didn't really hurt myself apart from a couple of bruises. I fell forward, then managed to turn onto my back and just slid down the rest, just like Robertmap has described. The fall looked pretty impressive, apparently, although not very dainty.

You need to just relax and tuck your head in. If you relax, it also tends to slow your fall, as you don't 'bounce' as much. Obviously, this is helped by drinking several bottles of Becks beforehand. :D

5. nickh

nickh Valued Member

what about discontinuous functions, like the corner of a step?

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

No solution.

PL

7. gpinkert

gpinkert Valued Member

nice to see someone with the same question I do..