Brazilian Ju-Jitsu the best?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Indie12, Jan 24, 2015.

1. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

The Best? Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yes - and to be honest there is a bit of a gulf

Using a JKD analogy there are the "Concepts Catch" people - Barnett, Newaza, Paulson, Schalles, Shannon, Harry et al...

and then there are the "Original catch" people - (e.g. Mountford, Curran etc)

There is a a HUGE ****ing match between the groups about what is and isn't "True Catch" (which is alughable anyway since it was an open ruleset) and the recent spat between Curran Jacobs and Travis Newaza was a great example of how silly things get (I was on Travis side by a wide margin!)

Curran challenged Travis to a Catch match for a title Travis won in an OPEN TOURNAMENT, but said "no chokes because that is BJJ not Catch"

Idiot

3. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

In my opinion it doesn't matter what style a technique comes from, as long as it works against a real opponent. So I am more one of the 'concepts' people.

4. Kingbedlam

Kingbedlam Valued Member

I don't agree. Bjj gets an edge because its so comprehensive. Almost every Bjj school I've been in actively practices no-gi grappling, wrestling, and some even offer Judo classes. I even attended a class a few nights ago that taught a bit of catch wrestling. The style really does absorb everything to improve itself, something that simply doesn't apply to Judo or Wrestling.

The last Judo class I attended I got chided for doing a double leg takedown. :bang: Judo purposely shoots itself in the foot with all the limitations it puts on itself.

Well, that's what Bjj does; combines Judo, Wrestling and Jujitsu together. As a Bjj student, that gives you an advantage over practitioners of other grappling styles.

5. fortunado

fortunado Valued Member

not in a knife fight. i'd try judo, wing chun, or judo for a knife fight you were never ever planning to have that just got up all in your face real hard by surprise before you could do anything about it. that's really been my experience in the real world when it counts. the guy surprising you is gonna bust out with something he knows you can't win against.

i like the four or five arts i've trained in : judo, jiu-jitsu, brazilian jiu-jitsu, aikido, thai kickboxing kicks, an overhand right, and any move i saw in all that time that stuck out in my mind that i liked to try and used a few times in the dojo or maybe even in the bar. in my first judo competition, i just tackled my opponent and slapped an armbar on him and won. it took like five seconds. i played rugby briefly and i was using that instead of the judo throws i had learned and it worked.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

:jawdrop:

Poor advice.

Knife fight is a terrible term, it makes it seem as though there is a to and fro, an exchange of some sort.

You have also recommended Judo, Wing Chun and Judo again.

If you want that advice to be taken seriously you need to add some meat to the bone.

Why these arts?

Judo is awesome, but when has a Judo player ever trained against the knife?

You say you've trained in four or five arts (a bit vague), including Thai kickboxing kicks and an overhand right.

Thai kickboxing kicks and an overhand right aren't arts.

More holes than a Swiss cheese.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  7. fortunado

fortunado Valued Member

have you ever lived through a knife fight ?

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I can't say too much, as there is an ongoing court case involving a large knife.

I was hoping to post a thread, but the case in June had a hung jury.

Hopefully I can create the threat at the end of the year.

Sorry I can't be any clearer at the moment.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Oooh, I have! Pick me pick me!

10. Hannibal

Yes I have

Your advice is terrible

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I almost stabbed myself walking into a fridge once

12. Hannibal

Phew! good thing you know BJJ then or that could have been really bad!

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Those belts are pretty thick. Would have made a nice bandage.

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I know how you feel, i cut my lip once eating cheese from a knife.

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I have fought in MMA, grappling competitions, bounced in bars and fought in the street. BJJ helped me each time.