Brazilian Ju-Jitsu the best?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Indie12, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I love them. Used to not be much of a fan in pure bjj but its something I've done in mma for the last 6 odd months and now I've seen more entries and understand the principles of keeping and finishing them I think they're great.

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Yeah, most people i've talked to who've done straight BJJ seem to be kind of at a loss as to why they don't learn them, as i think it boils down to tradition more than anything else.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Does single leg Boston count?

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

If it works i can't knock it, but if someone is already on the ground, i'd probably think the point you are trying to make will have already been made.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I really love leg locks for this reason. No one expects them or sees them coming.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

but like anything we do, once someone starts hitting it on you, you start working on the defense and can change your approach. that's the great thing about functional and live training. sure, someone can get you, but once you see it, then you'll know what to look for and try some defenses.

i kept getting hit with ankle locks until i figured out i was leaving my legs just hanging out there. now, even if someone starts the technique, i basically just ride up while they're going down, staying with them. the perpetrator needs distance, and if i can close the gap, then no ankle lock.

7. philosoraptor

It's like you get your own little in gym meta game going.

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I think that is one of the main reasons i really enjoyed Sambo so much, it was pretty much all done at full speed, so you were always aware of the practicalities of the theory and how they fit with your abilities, or limitations.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

From a self defence point of view I like leg locks, you can use them to sweep a standing opponent, heel hooks especially are very useful, can be hit on guys stomping and kicking you and stood over you, and as part of a mount escape not to mention outside of monty python a one legged opponent isn't that much of a threat :)

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

White belts dont learn them because passing is a more important for positional dominance,
    Leg locks are legal in bjj, their just graduated in competition.

Fwiw I freaking love HH, but I dont attempt them on anyone under purplebelt with full agreement first, because the risk of injury is too high.

11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I've talked with BB's who've never learnt them though?

12. philosoraptor

I'll be honest, I learned leg locks (I think my list includes various slicers, heel hooks, knee bars, straight ankle locks, etc., etc.) as a white belt, practiced them at full speed in an MMA gym against other beginners and we were fine. I know this isn't a common situation, and my coach was quite likely off the reservation, but everyone was very respectful about not cranking them and I don't think we had even one injury.

Edit: My personal protocol for trying them is first asking the coach/senior student what the etiquette is in the gym regarding leg locks, most of them have said "Discuss it with your partner" so I do that. I always keep in mind that it's better to let something go than it is to hurt someone.

Other gyms say "Not until you're X belt" and in that case I don't do leg locks. Which makes me a sad panda :[

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I do leg locks, spine cranks and all the rest in nogi, because that's what I learn. We just show it and tap, no big deal. In a gi, we do leg locks if we know them, no heel hooks and no reaping the knee. Other that most things are fair game.

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Yeah, i've never been the sort of person to go out of my way to hurt someone, but i made it pretty clear what my background was before i'd roll with someone, but it did really surprise me some people with really solid BJJ backgrounds (some, not all though), really had little clue what i was doing sometimes until i caught them.

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

ive found that (white belt and in some places blue and purple) guys avoid even "owning the legs" (carlos gracie calls it that i believe) because of a fear of leg locks. not even attacking the legs (not with subs but positioning and control) is a real waste of opportunity.

i wonder that if folks were more more comfortable with the positions that arise from leg subs (50/50 for example) then would they be more comfortable with attacking the legs for control?

16. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

"Never tell me the odds!"- Han Solo

17. philosoraptor

Hell yeah.

18. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's generally not the wisest idea to take advice from someone who owes money to a crime lord.

19. philosoraptor

He had the money! Jabba shouldn't have been a fool!

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

He did later encase him in carbonite, so it's sort of a moot point.