Brazilian Ju-Jitsu the best?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Indie12, Jan 24, 2015.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

The same thing seems to apply to most styles that are referred to by an acronym.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I was gi rolling with a Brazilian BJJ BB a few months back and held my own (translation: he didn't tap me because I was playing the "get your hands off me" grip defense and basically shutting up shop). I was larger and that helped, but was playing defense the whole time because his grip game was insanely good.

We were talking after and he bluntly stated had it been MMA I would have killed him and even in no-gi he would have given me the nod. Whether that is true or not is not the issue, the point is I had someone who has done NOTHING but BJJ his whole life and is about as homegrown as it gets with regards to style loyalty yet he was honest, open and truthful in his assessment

In my not inconsiderable experience this is the rule, not the exception

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Does your art actually have the arm bar???

6. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I think the BB's in Zanchin learn armbars and other joint locks. Comeing up through the ranks you wont really learn joint locks apart from onne session during the course that breifly touches on a standing wrist lock and a standing arm bar, its only covered to give students a general idea of what a joint lock is.

Zanchin Karate really is a standup MA, we do roll and we do have ground techniques and we have a few good takedowns. Our takedowns are a comnination of wrestleing and Judo and once on the ground we look to strike or choke.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

thanks for that
    Out of interest where did your trainers learn their judo and wrestling skills?
    And what made them think the triangle choke ( im assuming you are meaning the triangle done with the legs and not an arm triangle) was a good idea but the arm bar wasn’t?

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

He said armbars were alright, but chokes were better. I think he was just trying to join in on the joke man.

Although I would be up for discussing why chokes are better than joint locks in a new thread perhaps?

9. Hannibal

People can fight through pain and carry on with a broken arm; no one can carry on without oxygen or consciousness

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

If we are coming from a self defence point of view, id argue that whilst this is the case, for a none grappler learning the arm bar is easier and more high percentage than the triangle, the triangle in terms of set up, and finish is a much more technical move and really only applicable from the guard, arm bars can be hit from both under and on top of the opponent and used to sweep and get up(whilst the triangle from mount is a favourite of mine, voluntarily giving up top position to hit it in a self defence situation is a no no for me)

Id also argue that snapping someones arm would hamper their ability to fight, even if for no other reason than they have only 1 arm to hit you with :)

11. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Chrissy Linzy has around eight years worth of detailed stats on the 30+ submission only (and this is true submission only, so no time limits) tournaments that US Grappling have run. She's told me that she is willing to send that to anybody who is going to do something positive with it, so you could get in touch? Which reminds me, I should ask her myself, as I'd be very interested in analysing that. :)

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Yeah but 'Nothing beats triangle' doesn't sound as funny.

13. Hannibal

Triangle? I thought this was chokes in general?

14. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Well 'Nothing beats chokes in general' certainly doesn't sound as funny.

15. Hannibal

"Can't breath, can't fight" is pretty catchy though...

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

ive been working on some sports stats projects (through Uni and with other sports like national swimming teams).

i would love to get hold of this data

17. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I'd be very interested in seeing that data myself, but in all honesty it would only be to satisfy my curiosity.

18. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Nobody got love for the leg lock then?

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I can kneebar sometimes, but getting ankle locks and heel hooks can be a pain! Figure four rolling footlocks are good though.

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Yeah, i always figured an ankle lock was a little more trouble than it was worth, but i figure if i am on the ground with someone and i tear some stuff in his leg up with a kneebar or a heel hook, the chances of him remaining a threat are pretty minimal, as there is no way in hell he's going to get up without help with a torn ACL.