Brazilian Ju-Jitsu the best?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Indie12, Jan 24, 2015.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Rock beats scissors.

Scissors beats paper.

Paper beats rock.

Nothing beats armbar.

2. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

.357 beats arm bar :woo:

3. philosoraptor

How will you lift your gun with broken arms?

Armbar wins.

Nothing beats armbar.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

We all agree that grappleing is effective. But I would not say BJJ is any better or any worse than Judo or wrestleing, as an art their all pretty similar. Its really up to the person to make wise use of whatever system they use.
    If the truth was really told about that which is effective and that which is not effective then Im going to say that you woul need the proper combination of gi and no gi techniques and you likely wanna mix it up with some wrestleing, judo and jujitsu.

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

optic laser beats armbar. cyclops >>>>>> helio gracie

6. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Shoot from the hip !! :)

7. philosoraptor

Dude cyclops of all people? No. When cyclops fights people he gets depressed, whines about how it's all not fair, then sits in his room while wolverine goes out and stabs people. I might be willing to say mutant healing factor beats armbar, but cyclops couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag, unless the wet paper bag was wiling to discuss his feelings first.

8. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Arm Bar is Good but triangle chokes and rnc's make the combat world go round.

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

ironic, what with the rose tinted glasses and all :p

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

The stat's i've seen seem to indicate the armbar is generally slightly more successful than the triangle, albeit attempted a hell of a lot more, but generally the rnc is king above all, although surprisingly the kneebar is actually second place.

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Would that include those from triangle? Know that's one of my highest percentage subs.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

From the guard, A bad triangle is a half pass for they guy on top, a bad armbar is just a guard open for the guy on top.

13. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I kinda prefer the key lock myself. My lack of skill on the ground is a key factor in that choice I am sure.

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Unfortunately the stats weren't that in depth, so i cannot answer that.

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What was the stat context?

IBJJF championship, UFC finishes?

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's not called "strongman submission" for nothing :p

17. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

That is actually one of the least successful ones generally, apparently most shoulder locks only have about a 6% chance of finding success from an attempt.

18. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Top 20 MMA org finishes.

I would like to find some stats on BJJ comps, but i can't help but feel they'd be overwhelmingly decision orientated by default

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I guess my question would be "do you hear that statement any more than you hear a similar statement from anyone else who's enthusiastic about their chosen style?"

I say that because, while I've heard plenty of people say that BJJ is fantastic for various things, I don't often hear "it's the best" independent of any context. No more so than I hear it said about anything else anyway.

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've heard "Aikido is undefeatable" once or twice. They come more from white belts though, than anyone of skill.