Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Hendo13, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Hendo13

Hendo13 New Member

Hey all,

i have just joined today and i asked in my intrduction thread about a martial art to start. Brazilian jiu jitsu was mentioned i have had a little read about it and it does seem quiet a challenge which is good. but after searching my local area, i cant seem to find any classes near me. so firstly does anyone know of any classes in the liverpool/wirral area. secondly if no what other martial art would you recommend, i have been told that Komyokan Dojo is a good placxe to study aikido. and that does seem rather a good one to study. just asking for opinions thanks

chris

2. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

I'm not entirely sure that there is a BJJ gym/dojo on the wirral. I haven't had an in depth look though (I live in West Kirby). There are a lot of MA's around though if you can use google.co.uk :D
    I have friends that do, Judo, JJJ, Ninjutsu, TKD, there is a Kick boxing coach who has been alluding me and The_Lump, Sander, WuShu and Wing Chun and a least 3/4 karate places.
    Lots of stuff around, not sure about liverpool though.

3. The_Lump

The_Lump Valued Member

On the Wirral, there is quite a range of MAs. I don't know of any BJJ clubs, but there's Judo, Japanese Jiu Jitsu, Ninjutsu and Karate everywhere.

I'd suggest my Judo club, it's at Woodchurch Leisure Centre. Here's the site

Japanese Jiu-Jitsu can be found in Moreton, amongst other places. There isn't too much sparring because it is mostly locks (Judo is Jiu-Jitsu sparring).

Ninjutsu in Leasow.

Shoto-Kan Karate in West Kirby (if the club is still going), and Goju-Ryu in Greasby.

If you need any more details about either one, I could track some down ^^.

4. Hendo13

Hendo13 New Member

hey,

the_lump, i live in moreton with my gf, i live on near mill house lane.

Do you know where and when the jiu jitsu classes are in moreton?

5. The_Lump

The_Lump Valued Member

Well, I go on Wednesdays. Though they teach on Mondays I think as well (I've only just started there :p).

Contact Details from the club site

It's in the Sandbrook Community Centre.

Small mat area, and it's a small club, and so the teaching is very close to one on one.

If it isn't your cup of tea, and you want something with more sparring then try Judo (pimping my club ^^).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  6. MacWombat

MacWombat Valued Member

Do Judo, it's much closer to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu than Japanese Jujutsu is.

7. The_Lump

The_Lump Valued Member

Yep, considering BJJ is actually Brazilian Judo. (Judo coach went over there to teach judo, but the style got called Jiu-Jitsu :s).

8. spirez

spirez Valued Member

9. Motz

Motz Valued Member

Leasowe?

There's Toshindo (Birkenhead) and Bujinkan (Rock Ferry, Ellesmere Port). Who teaches what at Leasowe?

10. The_Lump

The_Lump Valued Member

My mistake, that may have just been a seminar.

I'll leave Ninjutsu up to you ^^.

Wow, you must be used to travelling quite a bit if you go from Merseyside to Cheshire.

11. spirez

spirez Valued Member

It's about 30 minutes drive to train at a 'world class' facility, not that big a deal in my opinion!

12. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I'm sure a few of my friends do BJJ in Liverpool, but i'll have to check.

13. The_Lump

The_Lump Valued Member

Sure it is, if you need to get a lift just to be able to get there. An hour's travelling time isn't fun in any case (unless your car is full of hot chicks).

14. Motz

Motz Valued Member

Just found out there's JKD in Upton too. As well as Muay Thai and a seriously saturated Karate / TKD market which I forgot to mention.

Why is it that we have so few MAists with all of these schools about? :confused:

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

judo. ask if they teach kosen judo and police judo.

16. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Next Generation in Liverpool do BJJ classes every night, Monday to Friday. From Rockferry, you could get the train to Moorfields and then its a short walk, or drive to their gym in Vauxhall. They also have sessions at Fighter and Fitness in Wavertree on Wednesday and Saturday.

The classes are run by Jason Tan and Paul Rimmer, who are brown and purple belts respectively:
    http://www.myspace.com/nextgenerationmma
    8a Oriel street off Vauxhall Road L3 6DU
    Facilities: fully matted area, sauna, bags, shower and changing facilities.
    Timetable
    Monday to Thursday: 11am till 12.30 pm Wrestling/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/MMA
    Monday Evening: 6.30-7.30 Striking Training (Boxing/Kickboxing/MMA striking)
    7.30-9 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Tuesday Evening: 6.30-7.30 Beginners Striking Training
    7.30-9 Beginners Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Thursday Evening: 6.30-7.30 Striking Training (Boxing/Kickboxing/MMA striking)
    7.30-9 Beginners Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Friday Evening: 6.30-8 MMA/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

http://www.merseymartialarts.co.uk/styles_bjj.shtml

17. The_Lump

The_Lump Valued Member

It's whatever style of judo the BJA teach.

18. Hendo13

Hendo13 New Member

cool so i have loads of options then, which is good. i'm just wondering what would suit me best.

im 5ft 10, weigh 14st 7lbs but im rather broad not mcuh fat on me lol . i have a good low centre of gravity. ideas welcome :)

19. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Try them all, then pick the one you'll go to twice a week for the next three years!

20. Hendo13

Hendo13 New Member

do you think playing football and doing a martial art will be too much or could i do both?

thinking about exhaustion.