Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and dieting.

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by 8limbs38112, Feb 2, 2014.

1. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Hannibal your the veteran. Maybe your right. I am a rookie. In my eyes they were just preforming combos slowly, to show how they do them, then faster at the end to show what it looks like when applied correctly. Maybe your rright. Could you tell me what was wrong with the video?? I think Kajukenbo while not very popular, at the same time is a legit art, since they made a doc about it on fightquest. But what do I know, I'm not a vet like you.

2. 8limbs38112

Excersize is recommended, but its not required to lose weight.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think that "reverse tiger claw" violates MAP ToS :D

Naughty man!

4. 8limbs38112

Oh I can kind of see it now. That first move looked unrealistic, and unable to be applied. It looked like he caught the womans arm in mid air with his forearms. I see why you dont like the video. I think alot of arts have a move like that here and there. I guess it's best to just take the good with everything and leave the bad out. That move did look a hot mess.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I was reminded so much of Master Ken watching it!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr0-ogsa4z4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr0-ogsa4z4[/ame]

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hang on...haven't you been going on about training for like...a couple of months now?
    You could have got 20 sessions in if you just picked a place and started training.

Or am I thinking of someone else?

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's not so much the moves in-and-of themselves, more the way that the training looks like an exercise in wishful thinking rather than an effective fighting system.

How you train is more vital than what you train, which is why everyone here prefers BJJ or Dog Brothers to those Kajukenbo videos.

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

QFT

I think one of the better examples of that is wrestlers in mma.. People talk about it being an effective system, and it is, but its also a lot to do with how they vicious and grinding college wrestling training is. They're tough buggers because they train harder than almost any other art I know. Tough art throwing each other, then there's endless conditioning and weight cutting while competing every few weeks. That's foing to breed some very tough and very fit individus

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

bears repeating!

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Truth, truth and more truth!

As an example of the same type of techniques drilled in a more flowing manner -compare this to the dogs dinner I posted earlier in this thread

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcNgAf_mU6M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcNgAf_mU6M[/ame]

Now whilst this is not full pressure, just a casual glance at the body mechanics shows the difference in how - and more importantly IF - these moves could be applied

12. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Just to let you know, I coach K through 2nd grade in folkstyle wrestling. We train 2 to 3 times a week, 2 hours a session and then usually a tournament every weekend.

The hard starts early.

BTW, thanks for the post on the Dog Brothers. I just moved to Memphis about 6 months ago. I think I'll give them a look. The grappling is taking it's toll on these old knees but this looks both interesting and useful and maybe not as stressful on the knees as the sub-grappling and BJJ.

I'll let you know how it goes. Perhaps instead of being a dog brother I could be a dinosaur brother :).

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Unless you take and angle number 2 strike across the patella! :)

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It shouldn't? I was under the assumption the OP was training, clearly it seems as if he is not. Meaning the weight loss is coming from the extreme caloric deficit and not the training. Or am I not reading the thread right? :confused:

You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. A drastic change in diet that has been mentioned could have the same effect. I doubt heavily that the OP would have been able to do BJJ training on such a diet though, which is why I questioned the 26lbs and asked if OP felt like crap/light headed all the time. Since he's not training, I suppose he wouldn't know!

15. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Nope, all the science says precisely the opposite to what you are saying. Diets (particularly diets that involve a heavy caloric deficit) without exercise causes both fat-free and fat mass to drop. Lifting weights in conjunction wth dieting causes your body to retain fat-free mass while still dropping fat mass. The evidence suggests that if you are lifting you will still lose roughly the same amount of weight, but less of the weight-loss will come from muscle. Instead of taking advice from unqualified people, look in peer reviewed journals to check the results of studies on the subject: http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/10487375/reload=0;jsessionid=dBBx9XM7FApfm0Ef5L03.12

There is no real debate. Given the nature of your diet I would be expecting a significant amount of your weight-loss to be coming from fat-free mass. You need to be lifting, or you are sabotaging your strength and also reducing the speed at which you will be able to lose weight in future.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  16. 8limbs38112

No I don't feel crappy or light headed on the diet. If I get hungry or feel a hunger pang I just eat more food from the approved foods list. I usually go over the recommended amount of calories, but I still lose the weight, so it doesn't matter.

17. Ero-Sennin

But you're also not training or exercising right? Trust me, once you start doing enough exercise/training that would induce weight loss, you're going to run into some extreme physical discomfort and fatigue. If you try to push it, you very well might faint.

It's great it's working for you, but it's not a sustainable diet for decent exercise (read "intense exercise" coming from a medical professional who doesn't know what intense exercise really is). Hopefully you're developing discipline habits that will transition over to a normal diet with training involved. If you're stubborn and want to stick to the diet when you start training, stop as soon as you start getting light headed. You will faint.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  18. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Yep. Right before he jabs. ;)

Better hope Uncle Mitch doesn't see it.

#inbeforetheedit

19. Ero-Sennin

I think you mean "faint." I don't appreciate MODs editing my posts for comedic intent you know:mad:. Isn't that against ToS?

:running:

20. Fusion 1122

Fusion 1122 New Member

My scenario is a little bit more complex than that, but I don't want to get into that right now. As for medical viewpoint, a certified dietician said the diet plan plan was ok as long as I eat enough Healthier Body fat when she seemed it over. She seemed over what the system includes and the accepted food list on the diet plan plan program.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014