Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and dieting.

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by 8limbs38112, Feb 2, 2014.

1. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

I have decided to quit procrastinating and start training. I will be calling my BJJ instructor that I was going to sign up with to see if I can visit for a few more days so I can observe and see how intense the excersize is in Gracie Jiu Jitsu. If it is too intense I may procrastinate a little longer. I am on a special diet where you take drops under the tongue which curb the hunger, and you only take in 1200 calories a day to lose one pound a day. I have easily been able to stay on this diet without being hungry. I know it sounds like a scam, but I've talked to someone that lost 100 pounds on that diet and has been able to keep it off for 5 years, so the diet is legit. Ive also talked to a certified nutritionist and she ok'd the diet for me as long as I eat enough healthy fats. On this diet you cannot preform very intense excersize due to the low amount of calories you consume although some excersize is recommended. You should not do more than 30 minutes of speed walking as excersize per day. You can do intense excersize, but then you would have to cook more food to take in more calories and take more drops under the tongue every day and that's just too much trouble for me right now. Now, the reason I made this post is because I know there are some BJJ veterans in here that can let me know just how intense the excersize is in BJJ class. It wasn't too intense when I visited. I think it would be allright if every day was like that. But just how intense is the excersize to you BJJ practitioners. If its not too intense I will train soon.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Depends on the class. Generally speaking they're not as intense as the kickboxing classes I've done and due to the nature of grappling you shouldn't gas that much. Bjj is very much a start/stop type art with periods of relative rest before trying to hit sweeps/escapes.

The flip side to that is the cardio for grappling seems to be different. I've known good runners and guys who can spar stand up for a long time but they all struggled when they started grappling. Its not something I think you can fully prepare for.

The bright side is everyone will know you're new and won't expect you to be in great shape. Any decent class should let you take breaks if you have to as well. I get wanting to observe classes but if you've done that already then I'd strongly advise just jumping in next time you go. You're not going to get a better idea by observing it more, you need to actually try it and find out for yourself.

3. 8limbs38112

Thanks. I did participate last time I visited the classes. The excersize wasn't too intense. I just figured class might not go that way every day. My issue is not being out of shape, it is the amount of calories I'm consuming. It is not healthy to get too much excersize while consuming only 1200 calories. It can rip your muscles and make you weak, and it can also make you hungry. Which if I get hungry I will cheat on my diet which is very strict. Those are my only concerns. However if the excersize isn't any more intense than speedwalking for say 30 minutes, then I will be good to go and start training. That is my only concern. I'm not worried about getting worn out or anything like that. But I will say if I get worn out, then the excersize is probably too intense. I didn't see any sparring either last time I visited.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

A class that doesn't roll at the end of every session is something I'd be a bit concerned with but I haven't visited enough schools to know whether that's normal or not.

This might be a dumb question but if your diet is basically a strict calorie deficit one then what's stopping you starting bjj and just eating more to compensate?

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

To avoid exercise because your diet can't support it suggests a very dsfunctional approach to health and fitness in my own, non medical opinion.

I imagine you would be a lot better off working out in a good bjj club, with rolling, and moderating your diet accordingly. I have met many people who have lost 100-200lbs doing just that, and it is heathier than a drop of something special under your tongue.

6. 8limbs38112

My situation is a little bit more complicated than that, but I dont want to get into that right now. As for medical opinion, a licensed nutritionist said the diet was ok as long as I eat enough healthy fats when she looked it over. She looked over what the formula consists of and the approved food list on the diet plan. It's been ok'd.

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Get into what you want. But excercise is not a bad thing and diet supplements aren't a good replacement for it.

We have people who are obese, mentally and physically handicapped, shy, weird, or any other thing you can think of, your situation is not special.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with mattt. The diet sounds completely off. Why not just work out and watch what you eat? Special drops? Sounds like junk to me. Just go train, the rest can work itself out.

9. 8limbs38112

I really don't feel like re-explaining myself. But the answer to your question I think is in the outdated training thread. I'd rather just get my original question answered then get into the reason why I am on this diet.

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Alrighty then. Well your original question was how intense is the training, then you went and decided it wasn't too intense. So what question do you want answering?

Edit- oh wait, I see. You are asking if the next class will be the same or more or less intense?

Hmmm

Go again?

And then when you wonder if the next class will be the same or not...

Go again

Do that for a month, and then if you decide the training is not to your liking

Don't go again

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  11. 8limbs38112

Actually, I didn't decide it wasn't too intense. I said I visited one class that wasn't too intense, but I wasn't sure if every class was different. So I dont know if it will be really intense one day and light excersize another day, which is why I want to visit for a few days.

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'd take a tuning approach to it. If you find that you're having trouble doing class, well, maybe bump up your diet to 1500 or 1700 calories. 1200 calories and losing a pound a day sounds like the product of wanting quick results. I'd encourage you to just make every class you can and watch what's happening with your body.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

At the end of the day you are a beginner and you won't be doing anything intense because you'll be doing no more than drilling techniques.

Also, if we don't know why you are on a diet (which you have mystically avoided answering) then we can't really comment on it ^^

14. 8limbs38112

I don't want comments on the diet. But, I have found out that the active protocol (instructions on dieting with excersize) aren't as inconvenient as I thought. So I will train soon and I won't have a problem being on the diet while training.

15. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Look, take it from someone who's speciality is Procrastination with a minor in Avoidance - Theory and Practice; you already know the answers to the "questions" you pose here.

Find the almightiest hard, frightening and difficult thing you can think of and

HEAD RIGHT FOR IT

Turn the heat off in your flat...wait an hour...fill the tub with cold water and...

JUMP IN

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Good, avoiding exercise doesnt help weight management.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well then my advice would be to not do that extreme diet if it means you can't train. There are easier ways to lose weight and call me crazy but exercise sounds like a better idea than hunger curbing eye drops.

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You'll probably never start training and if you do, you wont last 3 months. You like the idea of training, but you have absolutely no interest in the training itself. You're like one of those wannabe writers who never do any actual writing.

As a side note, your diet is stupid, unsustainable and as a result, doomed to fail.

Feel free to prove me wrong. Or just think about proving me wrong without ever actually getting round to it. Your choice.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I dunno what country you are in but in the UK nutritionists aren't licensed.
    The protected term (meaning you have to be qualified to use the title) in the UK is "dietician".
    Literally anyone can, and many do, call themselves a nutritionist in UK.
    You don't need a license or any qualifications.
    For example...Gillian Mckeith is a nutritionist but she is NOT a dietician.

Don't get me wrong...there are probably some great nutritionists with some great advice but the term sets my alarm bells ringing.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This also set major alarm bells ringing.
    Most legit diets will aim at 1-2lbs a week for sustained weight loss (some people may lose more if the change is very drastic and they are very obese).
    Losing more than that is seen as not healthy.

If you are a man then 1200 calories is a massive deficit from what you need to maintain weight.
    No wonder you can't do anything more than walking.

So ask yourself...do you want to live a life that is only not enough food and some walking or do you want to get some proper nutrition down you and get rolling instead?
    I would not being doing any kind of hard martial arts on 1200 calories myself.
    BJJ always left me pretty beat up and aching. You need plenty of protein at least to repair joint and muscle damage IMHO.