Branching out

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by hazzamoffin, Nov 29, 2004.

1. hazzamoffin

hazzamoffin New Member

Hey everyone, I've got the chance now to cross train my kick boxing with one of the following martial arts. Its due to other activities taking up my time that i can't do more than one. I was just wondering which one people out there think would be good to train in.

1 Jeet Kune Do
    2 Boxing
    3 Vale Tudo
    4 Jui Jitsu
    5 Brazilian Jui Jitsu
    6 Kal

Cheers Harry

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Depends on what your goals in MA are.

Is No. 6 Kali?

3. hazzamoffin

hazzamoffin New Member

Yep, number 6 is Kali.

Just looking to be able to handle myself in as many situations as possible. The kick boxing that i'm doing has a large emphasis on kicking, although the grading system they've got reminds me alot more of karate, without the katas.

Anyway, thanks again for any help

Harry

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Personally, if I were in your shoes, i'd go with either the Vale Tudo, or Brazilian Jujitsu.

Kickboxing helps you learn to strike, so it's no good starting another striking art, so learn to grapple. BJJ would help just that.

5. hazzamoffin

hazzamoffin New Member

Cheers for that Yukimushu.

The two i was most likely to go for were Brazilian Jui Jitsu or Boxing. BJJ to give my fighting style a more rounded theme, or boxing as my kick boxing is very much kick orientated so it would complete the form i'm already learning.

Didn't know much about Vale Tudo till you recommended it, now that i've had a look at it it looks a very good option.

Thanks again

6. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

Kickboxing & Kali

here's my 2cents,
    just this year I've meet 3 Martial Art Instructor wherein their background is Kickboxing and Kali, I've asked them why this MA combination, they say this 2-system complete all MA aspect, is has kick, punch, arm-locks, ground-fight & weapons.

btw some Kali system teaches ground-fight (dumog style) like jujitsu.

7. Aaren J

Aaren J New Member

Can I hijack this thread? There's a Jui jitsu/ 'Bushi' (sp?) Kenpo class being taught near my home. I'm fairly sure about the Jui Jitsu, but will the Kenpo add more strings to my bow?

8. hazzamoffin

hazzamoffin New Member

Thanks for the info shoto-kali, i didn't knew about the weapons, but checked with where i'll be training and there not to hot on the ground techniques.

All things considered, i'm going to go for jiu jitsu. Mainly because i'm going to start moving around alot in the next few months and the laces i go to all have jiu jistu but don't have either BJJ or Vale Tudo. Also my mate's trainde in it for a few years and can speed my training with open mat sessions.

Aaren J, i don't know much about kenpo, a friend of mine started kenpo, but dropped it in favour of jiu jitsu. Personally i'd go down, watch a class and talk to the instructor and highre grades about it. I don't know how much it will add, but it will add something.

9. Aaren J

Aaren J New Member

Thanks man. Sounds like a plan.

10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

I'd recommed vale tudo or BJj. Who would be your teacher in vale tudo or BJj if ever?

11. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

vale tudo or any of the jujitsu's

12. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

ummm... i don't know any real "boxing" aside from those taught at kickboxing, but why would anyone train "boxing" when you're already into kickboxing?

personally, i'd go for BJJ.

13. fizz-lau

fizz-lau Valued Member

what type of kb do you do?

14. hazzamoffin

hazzamoffin New Member

First off, thanks to everyone for the response, would take the time individually but would be here for a while

In response to questions

The Machine: I don't know who would be training me in either, but my mate who's already training there says, in his opinion, that the vale tudo guy is probably better. Hopefully i'll see nxt wekk when i go along to the place for a walk round meeting the instructors

glenchuy: I know it was probably a rhetorical question, but the training in boxing would be to make up for a lack of punching in my kickboxing, which has so far been mainly kicking. Hopefully i'll do more now as i've just passed a grading but i'm yet to see

fizz_lau: Although my instructor is trained in kick box coaching, his primary skill is as a 5th dan in Kuro Hebi Karate. Therefor alot of thisis seen in kickboxing training. However, due to a chnge in location, for the next few months, i will be training in Muay Thai. However, i will return to my other instructor after this.

Again, thanks for the help

Harry