Boxing?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Razgriz, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

How many TKD practitioner have taken up boxing with the purpose of making better use of their hands in TKD?

I am thinking over my matches at the weekend, and with the absence of the footage ,so just running through my head, and one thing that comes up is making better use of the hands.

With this I am considering taking up boxing for 6 weeks or so.

Thoughts?

Raz

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

You will pick up very little in 6 weeks. I would suggest it would take 6 months of twice weekly lessons before you start to see real improvements. Think about how little someone would learn from 6 weeks of TKD, because Boxing is just as complex.

3. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Fair enough, I looked at 6 weeks considering I already know how to punch, and I would not be looking to learn footwork from boxing either. Just some combo's and hand movements etc

Raz

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I thought I knew how to punch until I boxed! Trust me, you don't! :)

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Too bad boxing isn't about hand movement and combos! Footwork and the hips is where everything comes from! Funny how that works!

6. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

It couldn't hurt (well maybe physically!)

Not sure 6 weeks is enough to learn anything well though.

7. Bgajdor1

Bgajdor1 Valued Member

Ironic you should mention this. My Taekwondo instructor teaches some boxing and grappling (He used to do wrestling and boxing back in high school, and competed in some wrestling tournaments for his state since then).

I'm not sure how great the quality of our boxing practice is, as we don't ever spar boxing style, but he advocates hip movement a lot and we do practice the bobbing and weaving sometimes as well. I hope this is enough to improve my punches, at least to an extent.The best thing we probably do is the focus mitt drill on occasion.

If anyone's curious about where I train, it's at CW Taekwondo in Ithaca, NY. Cornell's Taekwondo team trains there under WTF rules, and our sabumnim is the team coach. I feel it's a pretty good school.

8. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

then forget boxing lol

9. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

As a former Tae Kwon Do practitioner for 6-7 years in the past, and a Boxer now, I can confidently say that TKD punching is nothing compared to a Boxers, and that you should take Boxing for a good half a year to a year.

Take Boxing, you won't regret it.

10. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Kave and the others are right, you should study for months not weeks. Punching in boxing is different than in most MA. If you do decide to have a go with it, I suggest keeping your TKD experience to yourself(at least at first). The boxing gyms I have been to did not like MA at all and considered them all "phoney" and useless. A problem I ran into, as I went to learn boxing not argue over which was more effective method of fighting. Of course not all gyms and trainers are the same.If you just want to learn some combos and such Ringside have some great training videos and the like, but a video will never be as good as an experienced coach!
    Heres the link to ringside: http://www.ringside.com/ringside/training-media.html

11. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

12. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Thanks for the advice, I think ill just go along and pretend to have no MA experience,go as much as I can for as long as I feel necessary 6 weeks was really just a ball park fig.

Raz

13. Ero-Sennin

If that boxing classes are good (and not Boxercise classes) then you'll probably learn the basic 6 punches.

1.)Jab
    2.)Cross
    3.)Lead Hook
    4.)Power Hook (this one depends on if your gym believes in it)
    5.)Lead Uppercut
    6.)Power Uppercut

You should learn the fundamentals of those punches from the footwork to the shoulder protecting your head when your arm is extended. Some footwork and movement may be added in.

You'll probably learn enough to configure a workout based on practicing those punches and learning combinations on a heavy bag. You won't learn how to apply those punches very well without sparring because that changes things up drastically and it takes a lot of sparring rounds to learn not only when and how to punch somebody, but to set things up, distancing, parrying, countering, and a list of other things. I've been boxing for about 6 months intensely and just about two weeks ago have I felt comfortable with throwing uppercuts (meaning I know I can do damage with them, not leave myself open, and set them up well). Good luck man! Re-visit this thread and update us on your experience. I'm interested in knowing how you do!

14. Ero-Sennin

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I would say go but dont lie about your MA experience. I pop into a boxing gym now and again and they knew from the off that I did MT and CMA. Makes no difference as you turn up to do boxing.

16. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Lol? :confused:

You do know what Boxing consists of right?

I know when I did ITF Taekwon-do, we didn't use nor practice half of the punches found in Boxing eg; hook, uppercut or overhand. Yet alone the techniques found in Boxing's execution of their straight punches.
    Footwork is the key foundation in Boxing, and I know from experience doing both arts that ITF Taekwon-do footwork is not the same as Boxing footwork, nor are the punches or defensive techniques comparable. So don't say that you know footwork or know how to punch until you hop into the ring and have a spar with a Boxer who is training in amateur or professional Boxing.

17. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Obviously I would not continue to use boxing footwork in TKD matches hence my comment.

As im going to presume it does not focus allowing for reverse turning kicks etc.

My primary motive was that from watching others in TKD matches. When it comes to hands it just turns into nothing more than a brawl. With not half as many points getting scored as punches.

Raz

18. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

If you want to punch properly, you will need to adapt some of your foot work. This can be done, for an example: Kickboxing.

The individual in this video is Perry Ubeda (he is both a Boxer and a Kickboxer), In these clips hes competing in the 1996 I.T.F. All Japan Open Taekwondo Championship which he was the winner of in the 90kg category;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nfCQ_YVfsg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nfCQ_YVfsg[/ame]

19. Elpatzer

Elpatzer Valued Member

I have often wondered about boxing. The question for me would be should I look at boxing or kickboxing?

20. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Either would be beneficial but personally I would recommend boxing first As the boxing skill-set is very different to TKD it is easier to accept the mindset of starting from scratch. With kickboxing your prior training in TKD will both help and hinder.