Boxing work against karate?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by INTERNAL BOXING, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

That post was in response to the 'he should go enter one of these competitions blah blah blah' post, and as for beating Tyson, I think it would be an interesting match, one that would be over quickly but still interesting...and if you are so sure that a boxer would beat my Sensei then surely you must believe that a boxer would beat any MA, because they all have the same strengths and weaknesses.

2. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

But why would it be over quickly? If your post wasn't intended to prove his ability to beat Tyson, then what WOULD you base your assertion on?

As for "a" boxer beating your sensei, that's not what I said. I just find it ludicrous to believe that ANY amateur martial artist (excluding olympic athletes) would ever beat a professional. You have to realise that people like Tyson are in a league above the kind of instructors who teach the likes of me and you.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  3. holyheadjch

I think it would be over quickly because I think dominance would be set from the off. If the karateka landed a good kick or sweep early on then it would at the very least daze the boxer who isn't used to being kicked, but if the karateka failed to keep out of the boxers range and got caught on the ropes then I think the boxer would be able to unload on the karateka.

I've met a few professional boxers (no-one huge to be fair) and found the quality gap between amateur boxers and professional boxers to be smaller than you imagine. There is a gap there, but not as wide as in soccer or tennis. I have seen amatuer boxers beat professionals in point sparring, which is where they all came from in the beginning.

4. Timmy Boy

I think you are perhaps underestimating the ability of the boxer to close the distance quickly. I reckon your guy would get about one chance against Tyson to land a decent kick or sweep. It would all rest on that one kick and I just don't fancy it myself.

I would still hazard a guess that Tyson has trained a LOT harder than your instructor in his time.

5. holyheadjch

Fair enough, if Tyson ever knocks my Senseis' beer over in a bar and a fight ensues, I'll let you know the outcome.

6. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

The only thing that could be done to Tyson in such a situation would be low kicks, and they better be damn fast and hard. I have a really good low roundhouse and I highly doubt it would slow Tyson down. As soon as he is in punching distance he's won unless you are a boxer of equal skill. To win you would have to keep him at bay with kicks and strikes or grapple with him and get him on the ground. Both of those are probably very hard to do against him, he's strong as hell, fast as hell, and he hits real hard, he's also a pro boxer meaning he knows when to attack and how to defend and he's got many years of conditioning and training under his belt. I think only a pro maist could beat him. I would like to think my sensei could beat him, but I don't know about that.

As for boxing working against karate... it can, but the outcome of such a fight would depend on so many different variables.

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

could've, should've, would've. unless it happen, it doesn't count. i could say that i could beat rickson gracie all i want but unless it happens it don't mean anything.

8. McGann

McGann New Member

Botha did decent in K1 and was robbed by the judges in the 2004 GP. He hardly threw any kicks (though he did check a couple leg kicks) and would've won it if not for the biased judges.

And he's not half the boxer Tyson was.

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

HA!!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Shamrock. Liddle. coture. gracie. silvia....and the list goes on. good stuff man, my sides hurt.

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i said most, not the elite of mma. funnily enough most martial artists arent in the ufc or pride :rolleyes:

11. Timmy Boy

So you think Shamrock, Liddell, Gracie, Silva, Couture etc are good examples of "most martial artists"? Now MY sides are hurting!

12. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

well, as far as martial artists that are on the professional level. if he meant most martial artists as in the average person who attends classes, then yeahm hes right becuse tyson is a professional athlete, so comparing him to normal people dosen't say much about him. so i compared him to other professional athletes.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Hey, lets not forget folks.

The out come of all these fantasy fight's we are creating in our lil mind's all depend on the ruleset.

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

UFC rules. reality.

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

LoL, Tyson is an animal, he didnt even notice that he had broken his ribs after he fell off his motor bike, untill he finished his 1000 crunches.

Oi Yuki why you never on msn. :cry:

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

17. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

ok, i don't want to hijack the thread but, do you honestly think he would last more than around with any of the previously mentioned legends? I like to reguard most of you with more intellignece than that.

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Again; it would all depend on the ruleset. Tyson has always trained to fight under boxing rules, and such a fighter as Couture has always trained under MMA rules.

19. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

You also have to rememeber that tyson knows no pain. He has been fighting for years. A good boxer with a larger range such as lewis manages to beat him though.

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

ok, about the rule set. MMA rules. Reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.