Boxing work against karate?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by INTERNAL BOXING, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

I agree.

2. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

the topic was if a boxer could beat a martial artists. By beat, it is assumed you mean a street fight :p

3. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

very true, but who hits first doesnt always mean that that person will come out the winner. But indeed, a boxer, does have a shot if he can get in some good hits. I never said otherwise. By the typical martial artists, I meant someone who was well trained in more than one fighting style. By knowing a standard boxer, their patterns are learned. The same can be said for martial arts really. Stances are a pretty big key as well. And they are different in many martial arts also.

4. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

So fame is what being a good fighter is all about? Interesting......

5. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

That is why I trained a little theory called "bunches of punches" it's not that first one, it's the four or five piece that follows that puts a damper on your looks.

6. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

yet suppose the bunches of punches dont work, the opponent isnt just going to stand there and take them, and you must count on him fighting back. The "bunches of punches" theory is what all fighters are really dependent on, even martial artists.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

as far as sport martial arts go, yeah. the better you are, generally, the more famous you are. with the exception of Tony Valente :D

8. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

tut tut kenpoguy learn your paragraphing:p.

"And hybrid, why in the world do you still keep beating this to death?"

Because I feel obliged to correct the generalising words of people who clearly have very little idea about what they are on about decide that what they say is gospel. I mean if a total novice to martial arts beleived what you said then the only impression they would have of boxing is two people sparring with terrible guards which are easily stopped by a low kick.

"And no sparring is not boxing."
    That's what I said. You seemed to think that all boxing is, is sparring though. Changing sides kenpoguy?

"It is a training technique, in which boxing is a harder version of a sparring match."

This almost rendered me speechless. Just to give you a clue a judo sparring match (randori) would look a lot different to a boxing sparring match. Don't generalise.

Pysical strength, again, noting your lack of experience, comes not only from lifting weights but also "old school" methods as they have come to be known. i.e. calestenics such as pushups, situps, free squats, jumping rope

True enough to a point. But there is a point where the above are nothing but endurance exercises. To develope substancial physical strength you have to weight train.

"In a street fight you shouldnt focus more on being able to take a hit than knowing how to actually fight. "

Typical TMA response. Being able to take a hit is an integral part of "knowing how to actually fight".

"reading books does not make you a good fighter, but gives you insight into other arts, and allows you to understand them.

Reading a book will not allow you to understand a combat sport or martial art. Period

"You cannot learn to fight from a book, but can learn basic theory."

Learning "basic theory" from a proper instructor will get you further.

Originally Posted by blind
    It can be effective in a fight period, being able to punch well, can end someones night with a busted face, fast. A punch can and does end fights, even agaisnt other styles. It's all about who gets to it first, not the style.

Very true blind, but the the person who gets the first punch in isn't necessarily going to win the fight.

9. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

That sadly, i think is one of the smartest things ive heard all night :) Generally this is the case with sport fighting. Not with street fighting. Common sense tells you that there have been countless incredible martial artists who in certain places are unknown, and may be compeltely unknown. And lets not forget Anthony Hopkins, and what he did in Puerto Rico a few years back. That brought him the wrong type of fame.(He defaced the flag, if i recall correctly)

10. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

hybrid, i think we all are sick of this fueding... Subject closed...grow up :p

11. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Yes because you growing up has obviously made you openminded and a great debator. Thanks anyway.:p

12. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

but you guys also can;t forget that boxing instead of kicks has many dodges and stuff like that. they can be very tricky.

13. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

.........I have always been pro-children posters, as I believe many do have great opinions, but perhaps the age limit should be extended...

14. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

Oh I count on it,(edit- I count on them fighting back that is-edit) and if I have been put in that state of mind, he had better, or he is going to the hospital. Dude, I am starting to think, that you think, you are talking to a kid or someone who has never been in a fight. I have been training not just boxing, but other martial arts as well, since I was 15, I am 24 now, in the last 9 years, do you really think I haven't been in a few scraps? Not that it matters.

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  15. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

I wasn't aware age = better opinions. I mean for all you know... I could be older then you.;)

16. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

i agree kungfufighter, though martial arts do also use fades and similar manuevers. it is much like boxing, but taken to a higher level and applied differently. And by kicking, i dont mean all of the flashy kicks seen in the movies, but in reality most kicks to be pulled off, will be lower in the body. The rhythms and all of the kicks very, depending on what is wanting to be done.

17. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

i dont think somebody has been respecting their elders..... :D

18. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

My mum used to give me that all the time...she still does when I go visit :D

19. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

forgive me blind, as nothing was intended but respect. Any smart allecy comments I have made in this theory were not intended towards you. I was meerly discussing theory and agreeing that what you said was what i feel to be correct. Hybrid was arguing against it. I wrote what I did for more clarical purposes than anything.

20. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

heh. Leave me out of it kenpoguy I neither agreed or disagreed with Blind's stance on the subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.