Boxing work against karate?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by INTERNAL BOXING, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAMJTX

JAMJTX Valued Member

Does boxing work against karate?

Aboslutely, as long as the karateka is better at karate than the boxer is at boxing.
    It can also come down to the rules, if there are any. If the rules favor the boxer, then liekly the boxer will win. If the rules favor the karateka, then likely the karateka will win.

I had an experience with a boxer once. We did not know each other, but a mutual friend thought we should meet and fight. Unfortunately we did.
    The fight was held in a boxing ring at a gym and some rules were set. By all accounts the "fight" was a draw. But I was forced to hold back. The boxer then made some smart remark about karate not really being anything at all.
    I had him get back in the ring and showed him what karate could be. Then he got hurt pretty bad and they both got mad at me.

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Interestingly enough when you were in the ring I would guess you were not using Karate as such but more a boxing type style.

So maybe you took the elements of Karate and adapted them to the situation which is good. However the Karate on its own I do not think under thoes rules could prove well as the sparring is not suited to match that of a boxer.

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

are you INSANE?!?!?! tyson on the ground would be an instant slaughter, there'd be no rolling, no contest, gracie would slaughter him, there are a hundred techniques designed to work on stronger opponents. oh....sorry i read farthure and u said gracie, k. as for liddle, one very good kick to the leg would be easy for liddle and very hard for tyson to dodge, if he took the kick, hes going down, there is no way he could eat the kick and not go down. secondly i think alot of people underestimate liddle as a striker. even a good kick to the arms would slow him down astronomically and a kick ot the face and well thats a whole nother story. not to mention if he got clinch position, one good straight knee and we can say bye bye, but if liddle got hit more than once or twice hed be gone.

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

and you would be a very wise man to do so.

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Very true; there used to be a karate class being held next door to the gym I used to go to; and when you watch them spar, they seem to always take a more boxing style approach. Hands up protecting the jaw, they just didn't have the footwork and punching capability of a boxer.

6. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Apparently, you are assuming that Tyson is a weak loser who could only take upperbody blows. Tyson WAS A KILLER, lol... The guy could probably, without any training, have enough raw anger in him to eat a few leg kicks or fight on the ground. I said that Gracie would win, because his technique is just too much for Tyson. However, I will bet that Tyson could put on a fight, simply because of his fighting talent. Somehow, I don't know, Tyson would give Gracie at least an annoying time. Tyson wasn't just a boxer, he could probably bring it on the ground. NOT TO THE LEVEL OF GRACIE, okay, but at least he could put up a fight. And I'm pretty sure Tyson could eat one leg kick, even without training. I'll admit, he'd probably lose to Liddell, but the odds of Liddell landing a kick to the head on Tyson is low. It would come down to Liddell keeping Tyson away with the jab, then getting leg kicks to murder Tyson's legs.

7. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Karate is more about application of principles or bunkai, than it is about using a specific form while fighting. For instance, the horse stance (shiko dachi) is not very practical for fighting, but using it in katas, drills, and ippon kumite teaches the importance of shifting to a wider, or lower stance (centre of gravity and all that) at times during a fight. Stances like these are also good for learning to shift your weight from your front to back legs etc. Same with the sanchin dachi, hourglass stance where your feet are pointed inward, it lowers your mobility, but it teaches you to keep your thighs close together (groin kicks) and to root yourself using your legs and hips. When karate people spar (or fight) they use a fighting stance, which looks no different from that of any kickboxer or boxer, they just apply what they've learned from stance work and modify their stance accordingly during the fight.

8. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I will go out on a limb and say my money would be on Tyson over Liddell, yes chuck is a good stiker but there are things to take into account eg:

Chuck Liddell

Record 15 - 3- 0 (2 losses are from strikes)
    Kickboxing
    As good as he is he is not a top MMA contender as he has never had a solid challeng for a belt that I am aware of.
    Height 6'2
    Weight 204 lbs
    Never won by sub in his pro record

Mike Tyson

Record 49 - 3 - 0 - (2NC)
    Tyson has won 90% of his total fights 79% by KO
    21 First round knock outs
    Height 5'10 - 5'11
    Weight 239 lbs
    Ex worldchampion with impressive record

I think Tyson would beat Chuck if I am honest - just close the distance and unload on him, maybe take a could of leg kicks but its not going to be in Tysons game to get picked off. I think he would beat Chuck fairly convincingly. Gracie is different but I think for perhaps the first time in a long time Gracie would be more cautious as Tyson would be the first opponent in MMA that Royce has faught who has a real serious chance of KO'ing him. If you look at Royce fight card there are no real heavy weigh KO fighters on there.

No Crocop's, Kerr, Vovchenchin, Silva - there are 2 good stikers he has faught - Gerrard Gordoeux (sp) who did not know a thing about ground work and paid the price and the other was Sak and we know the result of that - Sak not known for his punching power either.

I am not a Gracie hater by any means but I am understandant that certainly Royce has not been tested by what I would class a world standard striker or ground n pounder.

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

ok...he as an agry sonuva bitch, but i don't think anger is going to help very much in a grappling/ground and pound situation. and maybe a poorly executed leg kick then he could take MAYBE 1 . but liddle has very good technique, if he got off his usual nice even knee shot it over, not to mention sweeps. not to mention the slow progressive eating away of his arms and legs, in all reality, i seriously doubt liddle gettign any head kicks, but he would still land many powerful shots to his arms, which would weaken him and slow him down astronomically now couple that with leg kick and he would be very hurt, very confused, out of his element and scared.

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

thats my point, to the ground and tysons as good as dead, and closing the distance on liddle, i dont think that would be very easy, honestly. tysons legs wouldn't last very long at all.

11. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Okay, either way, any one of us could be right. I can see Liddell winning, no question, but I'm not afraid to say that Tyson could finish it. Remember, Tyson has the punching equivalent of an SUV ramming into you...You never know, maybe Tyson is tough enough to take a leg kick, and then just get in, shove his glove into Liddell's nose a few times, and wam! Anyway, unless Tyson decides to go UFC, I doubt this will happen.

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah which is never going to happen. the pay cut would be like going from a chairman of some big company to the janitor.

13. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Depends how over Tyson's boxing career becomes. I still doubt it would actually happen though.

14. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

speaking of which, I have the video of Tyson challenging Bob Sapp from a while back... Did they fight? will they fight? when? anybody know?

post or pm me if you know... thanks

15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

no they didnt, just a publicity stunt by k-1. that fight will never happen.

16. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

:cry: ...would've been great

17. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

What would've really been nice would be Buakaw .vs. Tyson. Cage match, lol, two killers fighting to the finish. Now that, I'd pay to see.

18. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Tyson... scared? What are thou speaking of? Tyson and fear... Wow, that doesn't sound right... Are you sure that's not an oxymoron?

19. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

To me, yes, whenever i've seen it happen the boxer just crushes the karate fighter. But me heh, ican beat em both at once...

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

trust me, with his primary weapons fading in power and speed, his support crumbiling beneath him as his back touches the cold metal of the cage and not the plastic of the ropes, hes gonna be out of his element and hurting badly, i don't care who you are, being wounded and fighting an opponent who is working your weaknesses to his strength and doing so very well very quickly when you have no last resort is terrifying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.